Moderators: HAZ - Moderators, AZT - Moderators

Linked Areas none
no avatar
Rose93
City, State: Putney, VT

Southern Hiking in February

Post by Rose93 » Feb 07 2017 4:45 pm

Hello!

I'm planning on hiking this spring, taking a break for an obligation at the beginning of March. I'm wondering what anyone thinks about the southern sections this time of year (or mid February). The guidebook only puts a few of the sections outside of the "recommended season." Does anyone have experience on the trail this time of year, specifically the southern part (more specifically the Huachuca Mountians, Temporal Gulch, and Rincon Mountains)

:)

joebartels
City, State: Phoenix, AZ

Re: Southern Hiking in February

Post by joebartels » Feb 07 2017 5:56 pm

@Rose93
I'm a huge fan of the Huachuca and Rincon segments. I'm not into cold weather or snow so late March would be the earliest I'd enjoy based on averages. I just checked the point forecast for high points on both and they are perfect right now!

You can zoom and center the red crosshair on the high points or such, right click and select forecast.
#1 https://hikearizona.com/map.php?GPS=9417
#9 https://hikearizona.com/map.php?GPS=11117

There may be snow from a couple weeks ago. If there is I doubt it would be much of an issue too much longer unless it cools back down and gets another storm.

edit: apparently I didn't look real good there is a storm coming in this weekend...lol
Hike Arizona it ROCKS!

Hiker_Wannabe
City, State: phoenix, az

Post by Hiker_Wannabe » Feb 09 2017 2:02 pm

@Rose93
I think you will find the southern segments enjoyable in March. Depending on the weather, you may run into some snow and/or cold at the higher elevations, but everything in between would be beautiful in March. (BTW...You'll love the Huachucas!)

sandyfortner
City, State: apache junction, AZ

Post by sandyfortner » Feb 11 2017 7:10 am

This is from a hiker who posted this week - Feb. 9th: {In case you are wondering, the north side of the Huachucas isn't so bad right now. I went through late yesterday afternoon, and it was just fine for walking. Plenty of postholing and what not, but easy to follow with no sketchy spots. I'd suggest hitting it earlier in the day when the snow is more solid. . I encountered the first bit (snow) as soon as I got to the Miller peak wilderness from Montezuma pass. About a tenth of a mile of ice. Then after the junction just before the junction to Miller peak all the way to Bathtub Spring so about 9000-8500 feet. After that there were just small spots on the way down. Below Rattlesnake spring all the way to the windmill the creek was running on and off with intermittent crystal clear pools as well.} He also stated that he didn't use microspikes and didn't see a need / concern. Although there is another front coming through, you will presumably have a couple weeks of warm weather and more melt. I did passage 5 last weekend and posted a report with pics of Wrightson on the Forum. You can see snow, but mostly on the north side. By March, I'm guessing you'll be dealing with it only in northside patches - depending on what Mother Nature has to say, of course!
:M2C: Goldilocks

chumley
City, State: Tempe, AZ

Post by chumley » Feb 11 2017 7:33 am

The long term models have a big storm coming through next weekend (18th) so keep an eye on that. I wouldn't put any stock into amounts or snow levels yet, but it could have a big effect on the sky islands.

KateWalker
City, State: SAGLE

Post by KateWalker » Feb 13 2017 10:32 pm

Any new weather updates for a hiker starting March 1st my friends?

SuperstitionGuy
City, State: Apache Junction, Arizona

Post by SuperstitionGuy » Feb 14 2017 8:58 am

KateWalker wrote:Any new weather updates for a hiker starting March 1st my friends?
This far away in time the only thing we can guarantee you is that the sun will be on your back and that the days will be somewhat warm with cold nights. :D
A man's body may grow old, but inside his spirit can still be as young and restless as ever.
- Garth McCann from the movie Second Hand Lions

Another victim of Pixel Trivia.

Current avatar courtesy of Snakemarks

ttretta
City, State: Gilbert, AZ

Post by ttretta » Feb 16 2017 7:38 am

SuperstitionGuy wrote:
KateWalker wrote:Any new weather updates for a hiker starting March 1st my friends?
This far away in time the only thing we can guarantee you is that the sun will be on your back and that the days will be somewhat warm with cold nights. :D
Unfortunately not so this weekend. ](*,) :( Had planned up until this Monday to knock out sections 22 - 24 starting tomorrow, but the weather forecast got uglier and uglier. I don't mind a day of rain, but all 4 days is a bit much. Postponed to March 3.

So long whiny story short, you can't really get a good feel for the weather until about a week ahead of time. Good luck! Sounds like I'll see others when I'm out there!

Return to “AZT Hiking”