the shuttle details

Moderators: HAZ - Moderators, AZT - Moderators

Linked Guides none
Linked Areas none
mando
City, State: candler, NC

the shuttle details

Post by mando » Feb 14 2017 5:17 pm

Well, it's time to firm things up for a 5 March start (barring a sudden snow storm). Coming down from Tucson, is it the normal deal to shuttle to Sierra Vista, and spend the night there? Then shuttle again to the trail head the next morning? Is there a good reason for doing it this way?

Or, just go directly to the trail head, even though it may be mid day already? (I guess ideally it would be good to get some distance from the border patrol action before sundown.)

sandyfortner
City, State: apache junction, AZ

Re: the shuttle details

Post by sandyfortner » Feb 14 2017 6:44 pm

mando wrote: Or, just go directly to the trail head, even though it may be mid day already? (I guess ideally it would be good to get some distance from the border patrol action before sundown.)
When we did this section, we didn't start up Miller until almost noon. If you get to at least Bath Tub Springs, you'll find good camping and will be fine. We had a 2am visit - not from illegals but from the Border Patrol who had picked up activity with the heat sensing equipment. But we never saw anything that concerned us and were not bothered.
:M2C: Goldilocks

mando
City, State: candler, NC

Post by mando » Feb 15 2017 8:59 am

Good info--thank you! It looks like we'll get to Tucson about 2:00 PM. Here is a plan I am rolling around in my head. I'd appreciate feedback.
I'm guessing a shuttler can get us to the Coronado National Monument by 4:00 PM. We could do the walk to the border and back and then camp somewhere close to the Memorial. Then get an early start the next day from there. Does that seem reasonable?

sandyfortner
City, State: apache junction, AZ

Post by sandyfortner » Feb 15 2017 6:58 pm

I'd at least get a 5+ miles up the mountain from the parking lot myself. Maybe someone else has had experience with camping lower and will weigh in.
:M2C: Goldilocks

Preacher
City, State: Saint Johns

Post by Preacher » Feb 18 2017 8:08 am

the first campsite is three thousand feet up at the ridge. beautiful view. cool breezes. Good Hiking. Highly recommend Ken for shuttle at 5206046939. Has done well by me even on a bail out down Miller Canyon Trail at the last minute.

rcorfman
City, State: Phoenix, AZ

Post by rcorfman » Feb 18 2017 1:45 pm

Preacher wrote:Highly recommend Ken for shuttle at 5206046939
Ken's great! He shuttled me from Patagonia back to my truck at Montezuma Pass.
Go find a LonelyCache

Return to “AZT Hiking”