Linked Descriptions none
Linked Areas none
no avatar
outgettinglost
Exploring Kokopelli

Snow heading NOBO, starting Late March

Post by outgettinglost » Mar 02 2017 1:24 pm

Hi,
I have roughly 4 weeks to hike, and am trying to do a bit of a long-distance shakedown trip (I haven't really done long-distance, looking to do PCT next year).

I'm wondering if anyone has advice, or links to resources that'll give me an idea of what I can expect snow-wise for the last week of March through third week of April. I found some stuff online, but had a hard time getting a good idea of what it all meant. AZT guidebook is on the way.

Thanks!
Andy

sandyfortner
Exploring Kokopelli
City, State: apache junction, AZ

Re: Snow heading NOBO, starting Late March

Post by sandyfortner » Mar 02 2017 7:35 pm

Barring a late spring storm, I don't think you'll have any snow by then, assuming that you are starting at the Mexico border.
:M2C: Goldilocks

FireFly
Exploring Kokopelli
City, State: England

Post by FireFly » Mar 03 2017 7:02 am

I'm still in doubt if I should bring microspikes or not... (starting March 19th). I'm sure there will be some snow on the ground at some places. But will that usually be soft snow (where microspikes are not very helpful) or relatively hard slippery surfaces? Or both?

wha
Exploring Kokopelli
City, State: Arizona

Post by wha » Mar 03 2017 5:00 pm

I went through the Huachucas (Passage 1) a week ago. The snow wasn't bad. A bit crusty and slippery in places, but for the most part you could walk in previous hikers footsteps. I'm not sure-footed at all and I made it with just trail runners. Spikes would have helped a bit in a few spots, but I appreciated not having the extra pound for all the other miles. In a couple weeks, especially with the people going through now, I don't think you'll have any problem, if there is any snow left.

no avatar
outgettinglost
Exploring Kokopelli

Post by outgettinglost » Mar 04 2017 7:22 am

Thanks everyone!

no avatar
outgettinglost
Exploring Kokopelli

Post by outgettinglost » Mar 04 2017 11:03 am

Another user suggest some more northern sections. I'm looking at Something like Superior, AZ to Grand Canyon South Rim.
Any other thoughts on that? I don't mind a bit of snow; extended postholing is what I'm trying to avoid. Another hiker I know suggested there would be high amounts of snow (not sure if sandbagging :o)).

Also, any thoughts on parking near the Grand Canyon, and a shuttle provider to contact?

Thanks!

Return to “AZT Hiking”