Find
Map
MAP
A to Z
notifications my cmntsmy comments

Does updated Databook match my set of maps?

Moderators: HAZ - Moderators, AZT - Moderators

Linked Descriptions none
Linked Areas none
Moondust
Exploring Kokopelli
City, State: Bakersfield

Does updated Databook match my set of maps?

Post by Moondust » Mar 05 2017 1:13 pm

I purchased a printed set of Maps last October (2016). The Databook log says it was revised Feb 2017. Does that mean my maps no longer match the Databook? Do I need to purchase a new set? I also have a Garmin GPS chip purchased Oct 2016. Is that still accurate?

I am planning to hike Sections 4 thru 7 starting the week of March 12, so if there is anything I need to update, I have to get it ASAP! I wish I had known about the revisions earlier. Maybe put them in the newsletter??

Thank you.

Sredfield
Volunteer Kokopelli
City, State: Ahwatukee, AZ

Re: Does updated Databook match my set of maps?

Post by Sredfield » Mar 05 2017 5:09 pm

I can't imagine the differences are enough to cause anyone to get lost or cause any other major issues. Most updates are minor, and reroutes should be well marked or quite obvious.

The two that come to mind--McFarland Canyon to Thicket Spring/Mt Peeley, and just east of Pine TH, are quite obvious and signed. If you are concerned about the routes, they have been updated on the ATA website and you could download them for your GPS.
Shawn
The bear went over the mountain to see what he could see.

rcorfman
Wanzigopelli
City, State: Phoenix, AZ

Post by rcorfman » Mar 05 2017 9:26 pm

Isn't there a list of changes made for each update of the data book? The data book is updated many times a year and shouldn't affect your maps.
Go find a LonelyCache

Moondust
Exploring Kokopelli
City, State: Bakersfield

Post by Moondust » Mar 09 2017 3:59 pm

Thank you for the replies.

In the Data Book Change Log, dated 2/2/17, it simply says "A major re-write of the entire databook affecting all of the passages. These changes were to keep the databook in sync with the new passage lengths and new passage numbers." There are no detailed listings of these changes.

I have downloaded the new databook and also the new waypoint files which will show on my GPS. I printed the new databook pages for the Passages I'll be hiking. I think that will be adequate.

Does anyone know if changes to the Garmin Trailhead Series file is planned? I bought the SD card, so if there is an update I imagine I'll just have to buy another card.

Thanks!

Return to “AZT Hiking”