Linked Areas none
no avatar
sierrasgirl
Exploring Kokopelli
City, State: Prescott AZ

Section Hike Advice for May

Post by sierrasgirl » Apr 05 2017 12:44 pm

Hello

A friend and I want to do a 10-day AZT section hike beginning April 29th. We're flexible on mileage but would like a physical challenge, we both have previous backcountry experience. We are both new to Arizona and the Arizona Trail therefore, we are looking for advice and input for sections and advice on water sources. Would prefer to hike Wilderness Areas or more remote backcountry areas but overall are looking for a beautiful section that will take our breath away.

In addition, are there specific sections of the trail that water is more known for being scarce or plentiful? Initially, we were looking at starting in Superior and heading north through the Superstitions and Four Peaks hiking out in Pine just before the Highline, but again flexible and would like to receive some input.

Thanks!!

chumley
Norwegian Kokopelli
City, State: Tempe, AZ

Re: Section Hike Advice for May

Post by chumley » Apr 05 2017 1:30 pm

sierrasgirl wrote:we were looking at starting in Superior and heading north through the Superstitions and Four Peaks hiking out in Pine
As I was reading your post this is the section that I was thinking would be best. The Superstitions and the Mazzies are some beautiful country.

Early May can be a little bit warm at the lower elevations though. But it's an unpredictable time of year, so it might also be cool! Make sure to check the forecast in the days before you leave to get an idea for what you'll endure.

Depending on your planned daily mileage, you might want to skip the first segment and get a ride to Roger's Trough TH. On the other end there are several exit options from the Mazzies if you don't make it all the way to Pine. I might even recommend ending at LF Ranch.

There's quite a bit of water out there from our wet winter, but it will slowly be drying up. You'll have to check on recent water reports before you head out to be sure of which sources are still good.

Return to “AZT Hiking”