Moderators: HAZ - Moderators, AZT - Moderators

Linked Guides none
Linked Areas none
garyc57
Exploring Kokopelli
City, State: Mesa, AZ

GPS track for Mormon Lake Lodge to AZT

Post by garyc57 » Jul 20 2015 9:39 pm

A couple of years ago, I hiked Segment 30 - Mormon Lake. At that time, they were doing a thinning operation and there was a 5 mile segment I wasn't allowed to hike. I had to hike down from the AZT to the Mormon Lake lodge at the Navajo Springs junction.

Since then, they've finished the thinning operation, and the trail has opened back up. I'm going to hike that missed segment on August 1st.

However, I'd like to get a GPS track from the lodge up to the AZT. Does anyone have a track? Hazbot posted one, but for some reason, I don't trust the track from a bot. ;)

PM me, and I'll give my e-mail address. Thanks for your time.

Gary

chumley
budding artist
City, State: Tempe, AZ

Re: GPS track for Mormon Lake Lodge to AZT

Post by chumley » Jul 21 2015 7:17 am

I don't think the Hikebot track is on a trail. It just follows the draw up to the spring. The forest is pretty open and the hill isn't too steep. I would just put a waypoint on the spring and at the lodge and head cross country on the easiest path. It's only a mile.

Here's a hand drawn route over what appears to be an old road if you prefer that to hiking in the draw. It looks to avoid the private property at the bottom of the hill too.

http://hikearizona.com/map.php?MY=14061&M=6
smoke it

Sredfield
Volunteer Kokopelli
City, State: Ahwatukee, AZ

Post by Sredfield » Jul 21 2015 7:42 am

There is a well defined trail, the lodge runs horse rides to and from the Arizona Trail on it.
Shawn
The bear went over the mountain to see what he could see.

garyc57
Exploring Kokopelli

Post by garyc57 » Jul 21 2015 11:40 am

@Sredfield
Yes. Two years ago, after I turned off the AZT, I quickly picked up the horse tracks. From then on, I just followed the horse tracks, and they led right to the corral! Without a GPS track, I figured I'd just follow the horse tracks.

garyc57
Exploring Kokopelli

Post by garyc57 » Aug 02 2015 7:14 am

All,

This past weekend, I hiked the trail. I just followed the horse poop. If there was no poop, I just followed the horseshoe scuff marks on the rocks. :lol:

Attached is my GPS track for the Navajo Spring trail.

Joe, If you'd like to post this track to the trail page, you have my permission. Thanks for all you do.
Navajo Springs.gpx
(20.17 KiB) Downloaded 61 times

Return to “AZT Biking”