Linked Guides none
Linked Areas none
ddgrunning
City, State: Gilbert, AZ

AZT and border wall

Post by ddgrunning » May 13 2020 9:01 am

The Arizona Trail Would End at Trump's Border Wall Under a New CBP Plan

https://www.phoenixnewtimes.com/news/ar ... n-11469652

"The association's alternative proposals for CBP are simple: 1. Don't put a wall on that 2-mile stretch, but use less intrusive detection means. 2. Build just the wall and restore the landscape around it — so, no road, lights, or other visible infrastructure besides the wall. Or 3. Put $40 million in the Arizona State Trail Fund, to be administered by Arizona State Parks for use on Arizona Trail projects."

chumley
City, State: Tempe, AZ

Re: AZT and border wall

Post by chumley » May 13 2020 9:58 am

:Nothing about border patrols on e-bikes? :-k
Profound observer

hikeaz

Post by hikeaz » May 13 2020 2:38 pm

Two semi-trucks wide, so maybe 25' or so? Is there a reason not to place the obelisque NORTH of this road? (Yes... I get the fact that the trail distance would be short by 25'). I also get that $40M would go quite a ways to improving miles-and-miles of trail vs. 25' of trail; may be a wise trade if that #3 deal is a bona-fide offer. I would doubt hikers would feel comfortable with who-knows-who being funneled (by the fence-break) directly onto the AzT. (Option 1)
I have backpacked these beginning sections 2x, and it gets a TON of illegal traffic. One of my buddies had his gear stolen one night while asleep nearby.
kurt

rcorfman
City, State: Phoenix, AZ

Post by rcorfman » May 13 2020 9:47 pm

hikeaz wrote:Is there a reason not to place the obelisque NORTH of this road?
Well, the obelisk is an actual border mark, are you proposing moving the border 25' north? There are many others along the border too, one I've seen by the northern terminus of the PCT.
Go find a LonelyCache

hikeaz

Post by hikeaz » May 13 2020 9:54 pm

rcorfman wrote:
May 13 2020 9:47 pm
hikeaz wrote:Is there a reason not to place the obelisque NORTH of this road?
Well, the obelisk is an actual border mark, are you proposing moving the border 25' north? There are many others along the border too, one I've seen by the northern terminus of the PCT.
Serenity....
Obviously (and addressed in my earlier post) the "border" cannot be moved. The border itself marks the possessions of our sovereign nation. But this is a hiking trail and if the obligatory 'photo' or 'views' is the issue, merely move the marker. If folks want the marker to be 'ON' the border...well there is going to be a wall there (photoshop?).
Please re-read my post above, and note the question mark... ....I asked a question...not be confused with a proposition.
To me, unless one wants to get hung up on minutia (and there are plenty of those, God knows) , 25' is not a hill worth dying on. YRMV.
If a bona-fide, funded option, I would take the $40M and improve hundreds of miles of the Arizona Trail vs 25'. Other folks may opt to spend ($?) fighting the 25'; and if they feel strongly about it they should fight that fight. https://aztrail.org/get-involved/donate/ (Presuming the AzT Assoc. wants to spend the funds in that way).
This exchange of ideas and debate, discussed openly is one reason why there are so many folks clamoring to become part of our great country, any way they can,
kurt

Return to “AZT General”