Moderators: HAZ - Moderators, AZT - Moderators

Linked Description  • San Francisco Peaks - AZT #34, AZ
Linked Areas none
hikeaz
Socialpelli
City, State: Tempe, AZ

Segment 34 question

Post by hikeaz » May 12 2018 1:49 pm

I am wondering if anyone has recently driven/ridden or hiked FR 9004U (near Alfa Fia Tank) between FR 151 and the Snowbowl Rd. and could report on its condition, please? Thanks!
Attachments
AzT Flag map.png
kurt

chumley
Norwegian Kokopelli

Re: Segment 34 question

Post by chumley » May 12 2018 5:57 pm

@hikeaz

9004U is decommissioned and a closed road as per the Coconino MVUM. https://www.fs.usda.gov/detail/coconino ... rdb5356224

However, 9215B is open and in reasonable driving condition (as of last fall). You'll want high clearance the closer you get toward the end as there are some pretty good chunks of SF Peaks lava rock and one deep drainage that is often full of water or muddy. Even if it's dry you'll want clearance to go through. Though at that point you're pretty much there so it doesn't really matter.

This road does not currently get all the way to Alfa Fia, however the old roadbed is used frequently by hikers who connect between there and Aspen Corner on the Snowbowl Road (crossing the AZT along the way). There are a bunch of mountain bike maintained tracks in the area too. No shortage of access.

You can see this on the FS layers of the map, combined with satellite view. [ custom map :: map ]
Ja vi elsker dette landet

hikeaz
Socialpelli

Re: Segment 34 question

Post by hikeaz » May 13 2018 8:17 am

Many, many thanks, Chums!
kurt

Return to “AZT General”