Moderators: HAZ - Moderators, AZT - Moderators

Linked Descriptions none
Linked Areas none
tkknc
Junior Kokopelli
City, State: Phoenix, AZ

AZT #14 Freeman Rd access from Dudleyville

Post by tkknc » Jan 26 2014 12:19 pm

Can you access the Freeman rd trail head from Dudleyville off of 77?
Is there water in the Gila at Dudleyville?
Is there a bridge over the Gila?
Is there any private land access issues coming in from Dudleyville?

All the write ups I have seen have accessed the trail head from Freeman rd off of 79 or Willow springs rd of of 77.
It seems like a lot more dirt rd driving than coming in from Dudleyville.

Thanks

Sredfield
Volunteer Kokopelli
City, State: Ahwatukee, AZ

Re: AZT #14 Freeman Rd access from Dudleyville

Post by Sredfield » Jan 26 2014 4:01 pm

tkknc,

One maybe-not-well-known feature of the ATA website is that the trailhead descriptions are live-linked to Google maps.

Go to the passage page, in this case http://www.aztrail.org/passages/pass_15.html
Click on the - GPS Corrdinates: for the Southern Trailhead: 32.87109 N, 110.88236 W
This takes you to Google maps centered on the Freeman Road Trailhead,
Click Get Directions and enter wherever you like, I entered "Dudleyville, AZ"
It returns the route from Dudleyville.

I have driven this road a few times, and it is a public road all the way, although it gets to feeling a bit primitive just west of Dudleyville. I don't recall a bridge or water in the river there, but flooding may change that.

Good luck.
Shawn
The bear went over the mountain to see what he could see.

The_Eagle
Eaglepelli
City, State: Far NE Phoenix, Az

Post by The_Eagle » Jan 26 2014 5:11 pm

No Bridge for sure.
There was water in the San Pedro both times we crossed it in small cars.
There is a very fine line between "hobby" and "mental illness."
Dave Barry

Nighthiker
Tutin' Kokopelli
City, State: Payson

Post by Nighthiker » Jan 28 2014 8:29 am

You may have more of a problem locating Freeman Road than crossing the San Pedro. At times the road signs are missing. If you are driving around greater Dudleyville, take note of some of the adobe buildings. There are cemeteries along the west bank that date back to the 1870's and the area's geology is interesting. A blend of igneous, metamorphic and sedimentary. At one time gold, silver, copper, lead and gypsum was mined and coal has also been found in the area. Very large and numerous rattlesnakes make the area home and lurk hoping for a bunny or an ankle. Access from AZ 79 may be a bit of challenge due to the numerous sandy wash's and if you take the wrong road and get lost at least the missile silos have been closed down and the security folks have moved on to the TSA.
jk

tkknc
Junior Kokopelli
City, State: Phoenix, AZ

Post by tkknc » Jan 31 2014 8:19 pm

Thanks for the help, we were able to get to the trailhead in the dark, and finished section 14.

ttretta
Lil' Kokopelli
City, State: Gilbert, AZ

Post by ttretta » Nov 14 2017 8:09 am

Going to revive this thread instead of starting a new one. I'll be NOBO section hiking #14, and am wondering - Is Freeman Rd doable in a Subaru Forester from both sides, the 79 and the 77? I don't want to drive on scary roads that are 4X4 only, even though the car can handle many of them. It seems from most descriptions I can find and this thread that it's an improved dirt road, but want to be sure before I make the drive. Will come in from the 79 side, but will need to get back to my car from the 77 side.

CannondaleKid
Soap Box Kopelli
City, State: Mesa, AZ

Post by CannondaleKid » Nov 14 2017 8:31 pm

@ttretta
I've driven Freeman Road from AZ 79 to the AZT #15 (or SOUTHbound on #14) TH three times in the last month and it was like a literal freeway... wide & smooth. I'm sure it was freshly plowed for hunting season.
While I haven't driven Freeman from the TH to AZ 77, I would believe it is in similar condition.
CannondaleKid
Change Phoenix website: PHOTOS & VIDEOS

ttretta
Lil' Kokopelli
City, State: Gilbert, AZ

Post by ttretta » Nov 15 2017 7:42 am

@CannondaleKid
Thank you so much - good to know. I've purchased the book that details the roads to the trail heads, and I always scour the forum, but sometimes the roads catch me off guard. I just bought a Forester to help me get to them a little easier, but still want to know what I'm in for prior to making the trip!

Thanks again!

garyc57
Junior Kokopelli
City, State: Mesa, AZ

Post by garyc57 » Nov 17 2017 5:28 am

Coming from/Going to Hwy 77, there's a wash(?) San Pedro River(?), that might have some water in it. There was last time we went through. Not much, maybe 10-20 yards? 6 inches deep? I know I didn't want to risk getting stuck, so I put the Suburban in 4 Low, and drove right thru it - no problems. That's the only thing I'd worry about going that direction.

Return to “AZT General”