Water on the AZT in the Fall

Moderators: HAZ - Moderators, AZT - Moderators

Linked Guides none
Linked Areas none
wanderluster
City, State: Denver, CO

Water on the AZT in the Fall

Post by wanderluster » Aug 30 2016 8:28 am

Hey guys! Im going to do a long section hike this fall.

I'm wondering about the water availability compare to a spring hike?
thanks!

sandyfortner
City, State: apache junction, AZ

Re: Water on the AZT in the Fall

Post by sandyfortner » Aug 30 2016 6:33 pm

Be sure and check each passage - here on the forum there are water reports available under each passage. Also, from the AZT site, look at the pull-down menu under Trail Resources - go to Water Resources - for water reports. I've just been on Mormon Lake and Happy Jack and there was water just about every where - pretty good for July / August. Hopefully it will hold for all of the fall thru-hikers.
:M2C: Goldilocks

Spiced Rum
City, State: California

Post by Spiced Rum » Sep 03 2016 9:46 pm

I did a thru hike of the AZT last fall (Sept). Water was pretty good for the whole length of the trail. Might be nasty looking pond scum you have to kick a cow out of but it was water.
"Only those who will risk going too far can possibly find out how far they can go."
-- T.S. Eliot

Norikiyo
City, State: Crescent Beach, FL

Post by Norikiyo » Sep 03 2016 10:05 pm

This is all promising to hear. I am having concerns about a late fall SoBo I am doing. Start around mid-Oct.

writelots
City, State: Tucson, AZ

Post by writelots » Sep 04 2016 7:04 pm

Some sources are better in spring, some in Fall. Its really going to vary from location to location. I was just up doing passages 27 and 28 and some perennial sources were bone dry while other drainages that weren't even mentioned on the water report were flowing nicely. I think this is because some depend more on snowpack than rain water for their springs, while others are only carrying surface runoff from the recent storms.

I found the AZ Trail App to be helpful, paired it with the ATA Water Report and my own good judgement and carried lots of water everytime I left a good source.
-----------------------------------
It troubles me that these days no matter how cynical you become, it's never enough to keep up
- Lilly Tomlin

Norikiyo

Post by Norikiyo » Sep 04 2016 8:24 pm

writelots wrote:Some sources are better in spring, some in Fall. Its really going to vary from location to location. I was just up doing passages 27 and 28 and some perennial sources were bone dry while other drainages that weren't even mentioned on the water report were flowing nicely. I think this is because some depend more on snowpack than rain water for their springs, while others are only carrying surface runoff from the recent storms.

I found the AZ Trail App to be helpful, paired it with the ATA Water Report and my own good judgement and carried lots of water everytime I left a good source.
Thank you! I am just over a month out so will be following the weather closely too. It's really nice to hear first-hand reports even though the reliability of sources is constantly changing. I also just dl'ed the app tonight and was going through it. Hopefully, some SOBO'ers will update it sooner than later.

NoPal
City, State: Sedona, AZ

Post by NoPal » Sep 11 2016 10:47 am

I'll be updating water sources as I head south later in the month. It would seem there will still be some hearty water near Utah and down in the some of the southern passages.
AZT sobo 2016'

BGL
City, State: Phoenix, Arizona

Post by BGL » Sep 12 2016 12:44 pm

I had planned on adding to a few of the caches up north, but I heard they had a good monsoon this year so I cancelled the plans. I'll be putting soul to dirt next Monday and will be updating the app as I go.

See you out there.

NoPal

Post by NoPal » Sep 12 2016 1:01 pm

I'll be stocking some extra water for thru hikers on passage 42/43 at Govt Resevoir and Orderville TH (not listed as source) when I drive up to start my sobo next week. I'm also open to buying and stocking any special treats like canned coffee or Payday bars or the like for any other thru-hikers. I'll take requests until 9/21!
AZT sobo 2016'

Norikiyo

Post by Norikiyo » Sep 12 2016 3:53 pm

NoPal wrote:I'll be stocking some extra water for thru hikers on passage 42/43 at Govt Resevoir and Orderville TH (not listed as source) when I drive up to start my sobo next week. I'm also open to buying and stocking any special treats like canned coffee or Payday bars or the like for any other thru-hikers. I'll take requests until 9/21!
Holyyyy the water there would be great. I was planning a huge two day carry to start the whole thang off. I can Paypal you or Venmo or something for the water.

Norikiyo

Post by Norikiyo » Sep 12 2016 3:55 pm

BGL wrote:I had planned on adding to a few of the caches up north, but I heard they had a good monsoon this year so I cancelled the plans. I'll be putting soul to dirt next Monday and will be updating the app as I go.

See you out there.
I'll be behind you all at a pretty moderate pace. If all goes well I'll get out to the border by Oct 15th the latest. Thinking I might be the last thru.

NoPal

Post by NoPal » Sep 12 2016 10:21 pm

@TheRhinoRoams
It's not a big deal. I'll update the app info after I drop water on 9/22. Just please pack out whatever y'all use :)
AZT sobo 2016'

Sredfield
City, State: Ahwatukee, AZ

Post by Sredfield » Sep 13 2016 5:34 am

NoPal wrote:Just please pack out whatever y'all use
A huge AMEN to that. Caching is getting to be an issue, have you ever tried picking up the remains of a sun-baked plastic jug after it shatters?
Shawn
The bear went over the mountain to see what he could see.

Norikiyo

TheRhinoRoams

Post by Norikiyo » Sep 13 2016 8:35 am

Sredfield wrote:
NoPal wrote:Just please pack out whatever y'all use
A huge AMEN to that. Caching is getting to be an issue, have you ever tried picking up the remains of a sun-baked plastic jug after it shatters?
Noted. Got to respect the trail. Good karma may be helpful over the course of 800 miles.

BGL

Post by BGL » Sep 13 2016 10:20 am

A friend and I are heading up this weekend; we are planning on parking his RV at/near Jacob Lake and taking his jeep to the TH. We were already planning on caching water at Winter Road and GovRes. I'm happy to add a few additional gallons for y'all. We're already planning on hauling out any trash we see.

Norikiyo

Post by Norikiyo » Sep 13 2016 10:22 am

BGL wrote:A friend and I are heading up this weekend; we are planning on parking his RV at/near Jacob Lake and taking his jeep to the TH. We were already planning on caching water at Winter Road and GovRes. I'm happy to add a few additional gallons for y'all. We're already planning on hauling out any trash we see.

Excellent! Thank you.

NoPal

Post by NoPal » Sep 13 2016 11:02 am

BGL wrote:A friend and I are heading up this weekend; we are planning on parking his RV at/near Jacob Lake and taking his jeep to the TH. We were already planning on caching water at Winter Road and GovRes. I'm happy to add a few additional gallons for y'all. We're already planning on hauling out any trash we see.
Thanks! How much are y'all planning on caching? I'll be up in ten days.
AZT sobo 2016'

BGL

Post by BGL » Sep 13 2016 1:46 pm

NoPal wrote:
I originally planned on caching a few gallons but after this conversation I'm going to drop off 3-4 gallons at each spot, for public consumption. It sounds as though y'all will be right behind me so it should still be there when you get through.

Norikiyo

Post by Norikiyo » Sep 13 2016 1:48 pm

BGL wrote:
NoPal wrote:
I originally planned on caching a few gallons but after this conversation I'm going to drop off 3-4 gallons at each spot, for public consumption. It sounds as though y'all will be right behind me so it should still be there when you get through.
Thank you thank you. When do you plan on starting?

BGL

Post by BGL » Sep 13 2016 2:07 pm

TheRhinoRoams wrote:
BGL wrote:
NoPal wrote:
Thank you thank you. When do you plan on starting?
Leaving Phoenix this Saturday, staying overnight in Flagstaff, then heading up to JL on Sunday; from there we'll drive up the dirt roads to the border dropping off water at GovRes and Winter Road. I'm starting on Monday the 19th though.

Return to “AZT General”