Moderators: HAZ - Moderators, AZT - Moderators

Linked Guides none
Linked Areas none
no avatar
lili
City, State: Alaska

leg gaiters

Post by lili » Sep 10 2016 6:53 pm

I'm planning on hiking the second part of the AZT (LF Ranch to southern end) this fall (October). Wondering if anyone recommends leg gaiters for/against snakes.
I hiked the northern part last fall and only saw one snake - in the GC. I usually hike in long light pants.

CannondaleKid
City, State: Mesa, AZ

Re: leg gaiters

Post by CannondaleKid » Sep 10 2016 7:32 pm

If/when I wear gaiters it's never about snakes, it's to protect me when hiking off-trail through thick and thorny brush.

In my opinion getting snake-bit is on the very low end of the danger spectrum. (As long as one is not an inebriated 18-24 year old male)
Personally I've had tons of rattlesnake encounters, I've unknowingly stepped over many, I've had one slide over my boot and one one occasion even stepped ON a rattlesnake yet have never felt in danger of being bitten.

What do I think is the biggest danger while hiking? Lightning

I'm sure someone in the HAZ community (or Joe) will correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't believe any registered HAZ member has ever been bitten by a rattlesnake, and there have been more than one struck by lightning.

If we're talking about dangers in general related to hiking at all, let's keep in mind the odds of getting into a car accident on the way to or from a hike is astronomically higher than danger from snakes, scorpions, spiders, mountain lions, bears, lightning, what have you...
CannondaleKid

chumley
City, State: Tempe, AZ

Post by chumley » Sep 10 2016 8:10 pm

Wondering if anyone recommends leg gaiters for/against snakes
Nope.

For wet grass or prickly things in your socks, some people may choose to wear gaiters.
Profound observer

jonathanpatt
City, State: Portal, Arizona

Post by jonathanpatt » Sep 10 2016 8:19 pm

Gaiters are great for keeping stones and seeds out of your shoes and socks. I don't use them for snakes.

joebartels
City, State: Phoenix, AZ

Post by joebartels » Sep 10 2016 8:44 pm

FB Chris wore snake gaiters about eight julian years ago
* that's f bomb, though he is heavily into FB
http://hikearizona.com/photo.php?ID=131647#CID_24403

@Gummo has held hundreds, he's still alive

I wouldn't wear 'em, I've stepped on a couple without incident other than myself flying away quick. If they make you feel safer then wear 'em.
Hike Arizona it ROCKS!

Grasshopper
City, State: Scottsdale, AZ

Post by Grasshopper » Sep 10 2016 9:03 pm

Our Oregon_Hiker likes to wear Snake Gaiters for his remote, trail and off-trail hiking http://hikearizona.com/photo.php?ZIP=577587 & http://hikearizona.com/photo.php?ZIP=576794 ..I believe he is now on his second $-pricey-$ pair.
Last edited by Grasshopper on Sep 10 2016 9:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
(Outside.. "there is No Place Like It!!")

Sredfield
City, State: Ahwatukee, AZ

Post by Sredfield » Sep 10 2016 9:19 pm

I used to wear the short ones routinely for all hiking, they do eliminate the rocks-in-the shoe issue, and snow in the rare occasion one hikes in snow.
Shawn
The bear went over the mountain to see what he could see.

big_load
City, State: Andover, NJ

Post by big_load » Sep 10 2016 9:43 pm

gaiters: sometimes, to keep stuff out of my shoes
snake gaiters: never

no avatar
lili
City, State: Alaska

Post by lili » Sep 10 2016 11:22 pm

Thanks a lot everyone! I was not worried until a friend recommended gaiters. I am not used to snake country, and last year lightning/thunderstorms actually did make me quit the trail.

DarthStiller

Post by DarthStiller » Sep 11 2016 3:27 pm

@joebartels
I think that tarzan swinging' picture might have been the last tarzan swinging' time I wore tarzan swinging' snake gaiters.

I used to wear them all the time, now I hike in long pants, so that gives me the level of comfort I need. In a situation like that walking through tall grass, it's kind of nice. The biggest drawback is your feet end up sweaty and soaked.

sandyfortner
City, State: apache junction, AZ

Post by sandyfortner » Sep 11 2016 6:48 pm

Agreed with all above comments. Running gaitors, such as Dirty Gurl, are WONDERFUL for keeping those little pebbles out of your shoe - and they will cause you way more concern than snakes!
:M2C: Goldilocks

skatchkins

Post by skatchkins » Sep 12 2016 9:21 am

I made my own
May he guide you through the wilderness : protect you through the storm;
May he bring you home rejoicing : at the wonders he has shown you;
Armchair Crisis Design

imike
City, State: Cloudcroft, NM

Post by imike » Sep 13 2016 8:48 am

For snakes... no. For wading through cacti... yes. Trail running light weight... yes
Ageless Mind... Timeless Body... No Way! Use It and Lose It. Just the way it is...

friendofThundergod
City, State: AZ

Post by friendofThundergod » Sep 13 2016 11:57 am

@lili
Whatever decision you go with, just make sure you buy "gaiters" and not "crocs," similar animal, but totally different type of footwear/hiking accessory ;)

http://hikearizona.com/dex2/igallery/im ... hp?id=5216

Tough_Boots
City, State: Phoenix, AZ

Post by Tough_Boots » Sep 13 2016 12:07 pm

"there is no love where there is no bramble."
--bill callahan

SuperstitionGuy
City, State: Apache Junction, Arizona

Post by SuperstitionGuy » Sep 14 2016 8:00 am

A man's body may grow old, but inside his spirit can still be as young and restless as ever.
- Garth McCann from the movie Second Hand Lions

Another victim of Pixel Trivia.

Current avatar courtesy of Snakemarks

Norikiyo
City, State: Crescent Beach, FL

Post by Norikiyo » Sep 15 2016 6:40 am

I know pants were mentioned above..but just want to check about it.

I am doing a late fall Sobo thru. I plan to mostly wear durable, long pants (have shorts for laundry and just backup) ..

Will pants do the job of gaiters?

jonathanpatt
City, State: Portal, Arizona

Post by jonathanpatt » Sep 15 2016 6:45 am

If I'm going to be in an area with lots of grass or other plants with sharp or sticky seeds, I still wear low gaiters under my pants to keep those seeds from getting on or in my socks and shoes.

Norikiyo
City, State: Crescent Beach, FL

Post by Norikiyo » Sep 15 2016 6:48 am

jonathanpatt wrote:If I'm going to be in an area with lots of grass or other plants with sharp or sticky seeds, I still wear low gaiters under my pants to keep those seeds from getting on or in my socks and shoes.
Fair enough. Might be a nice thing for first time thru hiker.

Grasshopper
City, State: Scottsdale, AZ

Post by Grasshopper » Sep 15 2016 8:12 am

TheRhinoRoams wrote:
jonathanpatt wrote:If I'm going to be in an area with lots of grass or other plants with sharp or sticky seeds, I still wear low gaiters under my pants to keep those seeds from getting on or in my socks and shoes.
Fair enough. Might be a nice thing for first time thru hiker.
I personally wear light to medium material, low height gaiters on all my AZ on-trail & off-trail hikes for these reasons noted. Something else one needs to keep in mind on longer, rough terrain AZ hikes is that the gaiter straps or cord tie straps that attaches under the boots to securely hold the gaiters in place will eventually wear through under the boot area and break thus adding another maintenance issue to deal with to fix in the field. When the gaiter type with straps wear through and break it's a bigger problem to replace in the field.. just not easy to replace/fix. So, if one is planning on buying & wearing gaiters on a longer or an AZT through hike, I would recommend buying the cord type gaiters and one will also need extra cut to length line cord.

Also, an additional benefit of these type of gaiters seldom mentioned is: If one is wearing waterproof boots and at a water crossing, accidentally falls in water over the top of the boot, because the gaiters usually secure above the boot area, one will have a short period to quickly pull out of the water and often keep from having the water enter in the top of the boot ;)
(Outside.. "there is No Place Like It!!")

Return to “AZT General”