Road to Trailhead Vehicle Requirements

Moderators: HAZ - Moderators, AZT - Moderators

Linked Guides none
Linked Areas none
ttretta
City, State: Gilbert, AZ

Road to Trailhead Vehicle Requirements

Post by ttretta » Sep 18 2016 4:50 pm

Twice I've come across trail heads that were difficult to access in my 2WD Ford F150. I searched the AZT forum, and read the trip logs and the guidebook but didn't see anything to tell me the vehicle requirements to access the trail heads. Since I'm section hiking, I frequently have to drive to the trail heads.

Does anyone know of a website where I can look for road conditions prior to setting out on my journeys? I did find one on Trails.com, but they are saying a CAR can make it up El Oso Road. My truck was slipping and sliding all over about 1/2 way up, so I parked it and walked the remaining 4.2 miles up 1600 feet of elevation.

I will be investing soon in a beater 4x4 to help me get to the trail heads, but in the meantime, any help on road requirements would be great. Thank you!

Tough_Boots
City, State: Phoenix, AZ

Re: Road to Trailhead Vehicle Requirements

Post by Tough_Boots » Sep 18 2016 5:15 pm

In dry conditions, a car should be able to make it up El Oso. I've seen plenty up there. My old 2wd Sonoma never had problems. I have found the basic road condition listings here on HAZ (which are found in the hike descriptions) to be fairly accurate though dirt road conditions are constantly changing. Sometimes just to be safe, I PM people who have posted recent triplogs and ask for info.
"there is no love where there is no bramble."
--bill callahan

Tough_Boots
City, State: Phoenix, AZ

Post by Tough_Boots » Sep 18 2016 5:20 pm

ahhh-- I see that the AZT section descriptions have less road condition info than the specific trail descriptions. Look at the hike description that's the beginning of the section you are doing and you'll find better info.
"there is no love where there is no bramble."
--bill callahan

SuperstitionGuy
City, State: Apache Junction, Arizona

Post by SuperstitionGuy » Sep 18 2016 6:33 pm

Throw 300 pounds of sandbags in the back of that pickup and you will be amazed how much better it can handle those Forest Service roads.
A man's body may grow old, but inside his spirit can still be as young and restless as ever.
- Garth McCann from the movie Second Hand Lions

Another victim of Pixel Trivia.

Current avatar courtesy of Snakemarks

ttretta

Post by ttretta » Sep 18 2016 7:34 pm

I would think a front wheel drive car would do much better than my 2wd truck did. But yeah SuperstitionGuy, I seriously considered doing something like that. I think it would have made it just fine with some weight in the back. The tires just wouldn't grab, and I have AT tires on it. It made up to Roger's Trough Trailhead, but it was incredibly scary and I was sliding all over the place.

Sredfield
City, State: Ahwatukee, AZ

Post by Sredfield » Sep 18 2016 7:56 pm

The Arizona Trail Driver's Guide by Robert Garber, Kindle format only, from Amazon
Shawn
The bear went over the mountain to see what he could see.

ttretta

Post by ttretta » Sep 19 2016 9:25 am

THANK YOU Sredfield!!

CannondaleKid
City, State: Mesa, AZ

Post by CannondaleKid » Sep 19 2016 11:20 am

The Arizona Trail Driver's Guide by Ron Garber

Note: The only poor review ( on Amazon ) was from someone who expected more information about the Arizona Trail itself. But the title says Driver's Guide (not Hiker's Guide) so their expectations were unrealistic.
CannondaleKid

Return to “AZT General”