Linked Guide  • Paria Canyon, UT
Linked Areas none
no avatar
saradepinte
City, State: flagstaff

buckskin gulch shuttle

Post by saradepinte » Feb 09 2013 5:49 pm

Hello,
My husband and I are going to backpack buckskin gulch on May 25th and 26th. We are leaving from Wire Pass on may 25th and coming out at Whitehouse on the 26th. We are looking to see if anyone would like to split a shuttle from Whitehouse back to Wire Pass on Sunday the 26th in the afternoon. The cheapest shuttle I have found is $75 for up to 4 people. Have a great day and happy hiking. :y:

azbackpackr
City, State: Flag-summer-Needles-winter

Re: buckskin gulch shuttle

Post by azbackpackr » Feb 12 2013 11:05 am

Here, I'll bump this up to the top for ya, but have to say last time this came up was when I was spending a lot of time up at the Ferry. A HAZ (hikearizona.com) newb requested a shuttle or a ride from the Ferry back up to Wire Pass. I told him I might be able to help, but then I could never get in touch with the guy on any kind of regular basis. He gave me a bogus email address, and wouldn't answer his HAZ PM's. Then I found out 6 weeks later that he was there at the Ferry, begging rides, asking one of the rangers if he knew where I was. I was actually there that day, but that ranger didn't know me. That guy didn't keep in touch with me in any reasonable way, or I would have given him a ride for the cost of gas and lunch (less than $75).

If no one knows you, then you might want to be ready to PM people with cell phone and a real email address so people know they can stay in touch. Just sayin', just cuz I got burned last time.

Moral of the story is: Keep in touch with people! Answer your email! Check your PMs! I have several friends on here I have hiked with who might need this lecture as well.
There is a point of no return unremarked at the time in most lives. Graham Greene The Comedians
A clean house is a sign of a misspent life.

toddak
City, State: Puhoynix, AZ

Post by toddak » Feb 12 2013 2:35 pm

If you've got a mountain bike and a little extra time the day before, its pretty easy to drop gear at the start, drive around and leave your car at the exit and then bike back to the start. About 15 miles, with some moderate uphill the direction you'd be riding. On a route like that it can be a hassle to meet a shuttle at a certain place and time, and you'd hate to have to rush through the canyon just to stick to a timetable.

nonot
City, State: Phoenix, AZ

Post by nonot » Feb 12 2013 9:56 pm

You probably won't beat $75 for 4 people, I'd take the deal or else just hike the rd.
http://hikearizona.com/garmin_maps.php

Hike Arizona it is full of sharp, pointy, ankle-twisting, HAZmaster crushing ROCKS!!
Hike Arizona it is full of sharp, pointy, shin-stabbing, skin-shredding plants!
Hike Arizona it is full of striking, biting, stabbing, venomous wildlife!

RedRoxx44
City, State: outside, anywhere

Post by RedRoxx44 » Mar 06 2013 6:41 pm

Late May can be pretty hot up there. The first time I did it I did the mtn bike thing, however got caught in a flash flood in Paria Narrows, bivouacked overnight on a bench, got out then rode my bike getting onto the dirt portion, promptly overheating, got sick, then hitched a ride with a couple in a jeep the last 6 miles to my Jeep. I can't remember exact time of year; Buckskin is cool because you are in the narrows and then the Paria near Whitehouse is open but you can wet your clothes in the water. The bike ride is best timed early or late in day, or be heat conditioned and or carry an umbrella if you hike it.

autumnstars
City, State: Las Vegas, NV

Post by autumnstars » Mar 08 2013 2:05 pm

The bike idea sounds good, if you are really looking to save money.
Possibly could even lock your bike(s) to the bathroom or somewhere at the Wire Pass trailhead to avoid having to find a good hiding spot for them.
Ask the ranger station to make sure, though, so they don't cut the locks and haul the bikes off.

As other folks mentioned, it's likely to be hot there by the end of May, though.
Either be mentally and physically prepared for that bike ride or road hike, or take the $75 shuttle ride.
"Let it ride / Let it roll / Let it go"

chihiggs
City, State: Gilbert, AZ

Post by chihiggs » Feb 04 2015 8:32 pm

Bumping this one up--Does anyone have any current information on a shuttle service up in the area? Name of company or person?
Higgs

Sredfield
City, State: Ahwatukee, AZ

Post by Sredfield » Feb 04 2015 11:23 pm

Last one I used was
End of the Trail Shuttles - Betty Price, PO Box 6135, Marble Canyon, AZ 86036, (928) 355-2252
Shawn
The bear went over the mountain to see what he could see.

Digital_Sherpa

Post by Digital_Sherpa » Feb 05 2015 12:41 am

I've used Paria Outpost & Outfitters. They picked me up very early in the morning at Whitehouse campground and dropped me off at Wirepass TH. The cost was $75. I believe they also do Lees Ferry shuttles and those range a little over $200.

hikeaz
City, State: Tempe, AZ

Post by hikeaz » Feb 05 2015 8:19 am

chihiggs wrote:Bumping this one up--Does anyone have any current information on a shuttle service up in the area? Name of company or person?
Higgs,
Contact Paria Outpost Steve or Susan (tell them that Kurt said "hi") 928-691-1047 and or Paria Guest Ranch - Joel - 928-660-2674 - again, tell him that Kurt said "hi" .
Last edited by hikeaz on Feb 05 2015 3:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
kurt

outdoor_lover
City, State: Scottsdale, AZ

Post by outdoor_lover » Feb 05 2015 3:19 pm

@Digital Sherpa
Was that per person? How long did it take you to do Wire Pass to White House?
Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty & well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, totally worn out & proclaiming, "Wow What a Ride!"

Digital_Sherpa

Post by Digital_Sherpa » Feb 06 2015 11:47 pm

@Outdoor Lover

Yep, $75 per person and Steve was our driver. Pilot is actually a better description of him, he definitely knows those roads up there and skips across the tops of the washboards. :o

It was a photo trip so we got permits to hike two days and spend one night in the canyon. Set up camp on a huge sandbar near the Buckskin/Paria confluence.

chihiggs

Post by chihiggs » Feb 08 2015 10:21 am

Thank you for the information. I will contact the places mentioned this week sometime and post here again with what I learn.

Thanks again for the help!! :y:
Higgs

chihiggs

Post by chihiggs » Feb 10 2015 4:51 pm

To follow-up on the phone numbers provided I have yet to be able to catch anyone. I will keep trying and let you all know what I find. :)
Higgs

chihiggs

Post by chihiggs » Feb 23 2015 9:09 pm

OK--spoke to the guest ranch--they said they didn't do the shuttle. I spoke with the gal down at Lee's Ferry. She said she could do it but that it cost more due to her distance. I spoke with Steve at Paria Outpost---up to 4 people for $75 dollars--$25 for each additional person beyond 4. Steve also offered that if he was called just before coming up, he could give good accurate information about water holes in the canyon. He has early morning pick-up/drop or other times can be arranged.

This information is good as of 2/22/2015 They did not indicate changing prices anytime soon.

If I remember correctly, they put on some good chow at the Paria Outpost. I ate before going in the canyon. :D

Anyway--thanks again everyone for the help.

Higgs
Higgs

no avatar
houserock
City, State: marble canyon, az.

Post by houserock » Feb 20 2017 2:12 pm

We recently used Tim at Trails End shuttle out of Marble Canyon for our shuttle from Lees Ferry to Wire Pass trail head. He took over the business from Betty Price last year. She apparently has failing health so she couldn't continue to drive. He was very personable and knowledgeable of the area. He charged $200 for 4 of us. Wire pass was amazing!

Return to “Shuttle Request and Volunteers”