Moderator: HAZ - Moderators

Linked Descriptions none
Linked Areas none
Dave1
Articulate Adventurer
City, State: Phoenix, AZ

South Bass/Gems car return

Post by Dave1 » Jan 28 2014 3:29 pm

I'm considering an east to west Gems dayhike anytime from now until late spring. I'll start from Hermit's Rest and end at South Bass Trailhead. If you are doing a Gems multi-day trip in the opposite direction, starting from South Bass Trailhead, I could drive your vehicle to Hermit's Rest from SBTH (if this is going to be after February, I'll need the Hermit Road gate code which you can request when you get your permit. Also, it may be printed on your permit). I can only do this on a Sunday or Monday so your trip would have to fall around those days. You could hand me your key when we cross somewhere along the trail or give me a spare key ahead of time in case we miss each other (preferred).

BTW, I'm an excellent driver and only had my license revoked once but that was in another state and I've never been convicted of a felony.

chumley
Norwegian Kokopelli
City, State: Tempe, AZ

Re: South Bass/Gems car return

Post by chumley » Jan 28 2014 3:41 pm

Dave1 wrote:I've never been convicted of a felony
:sl:
Me neither! ;)
Ja vi elsker dette landet

azbackpackr
River Paddler
City, State: Flagstaff, Arizona

Post by azbackpackr » Jan 28 2014 6:13 pm

Dave1 wrote:I'm considering an east to west Gems dayhike anytime from now until late spring. I'll start from Hermit's Rest and end at South Bass Trailhead. If you are doing a Gems multi-day trip in the opposite direction, starting from South Bass Trailhead, I could drive your vehicle to Hermit's Rest from SBTH (if this is going to be after February, I'll need the Hermit Road gate code which you can request when you get your permit. Also, it may be printed on your permit). I can only do this on a Sunday or Monday so your trip would have to fall around those days. You could hand me your key when we cross somewhere along the trail or give me a spare key ahead of time in case we miss each other (preferred).

BTW, I'm an excellent driver and only had my license revoked once but that was in another state and I've never been convicted of a felony.
Gate code has never been changed in years, as far as I know.
There is a point of no return unremarked at the time in most lives. Graham Greene The Comedians
A clean house is a sign of a misspent life.

whereveriroam
Roaming Kokopelli
City, State: Apache Junction, AZ

Post by whereveriroam » Nov 13 2014 12:57 pm

I scored a permit for S.Bass to Hermits Rest ("The Gems"/ "The Jewels") for early March, road conditions permitting. Some years ago I called Xanterra and they arranged for an off duty employee to shuttle us out to the New Hance TH. Apparently they do that so their people can make some extra $$. I called Xanterra today and they still arrange those rides. However, with S. Bass you pick up the driver with your HC preferably 4WD vehicle and that person drives it back to the Back Country Office for you. I'm wondering if anyone has done this before? There's not a set charge for the driver, payment is a tip. They'll be 3 of us getting dropped off, any suggestions on what each of us should tip? Its about a 2 hour-"ish" ride each way. Thanks!

chumley
Norwegian Kokopelli
City, State: Tempe, AZ

Post by chumley » Nov 13 2014 1:03 pm

@whereveriroam
I don't think it takes quite that long to drive out that road but I would try to make it so the driver ends up with $20-$25 an hour for their time (if driving my vehicle). I'm sure others would disagree with me on that. But it's :M2C:

In this case $60-$100 seems reasonable and split between three of you it's not a huge amount.
Ja vi elsker dette landet

Return to “Shuttle Request and Volunteers”