App support

Moderator: HAZ - Moderators

Linked Guides none
Linked Areas none
fdv75
City, State: Kent,wa

Route Scout app question

Post by fdv75 » Dec 20 2018 7:26 am

Is there a way for me to logout/login accounts when running RouteScout on my smartphone?

I do have RouteScout loaded and running on my smartphone, Samsung J7.
It is running good.
Now I would like to use a new/different Account/Password to log into RouteScout.
But it seems that my old account/password is saved somewhere/somehow.
When I open (or even uninstall & reinstall) RouteScout it just automatically used my old account/password.
Is there a way for me to logout/login accounts when running RouteScout on my smartphone?

Thank you in advance,
Fred

joebartels
City, State: Phoenix, AZ

Re: Route Scout app question

Post by joebartels » Dec 20 2018 7:36 am

@fdv75
no, RS is a single user app
Hike Arizona it ROCKS!

chumley
City, State: Tempe, AZ

Post by chumley » Dec 20 2018 8:13 am

fdv75 wrote:Now I would like to use a new/different Account/Password to log into RouteScout.
Why? :-k
Profound observer

CannondaleKid
City, State: Mesa, AZ

Post by CannondaleKid » Dec 20 2018 8:44 am

@fdv75
If I'm not mistaken, your Route Scout login/password should be the same as your login here on HikeArizona.com... unless you created an account on Route Scout with a different screen-name/login than here on HAZ? (Please correct me if I'm wrong Joe)

A relevant question for you @joebartels
If a user already HAS separate accounts between HAZ & RS, is it possible to wipe all the RS data off the SmartPhone, reinstall RS and then login with the same user/password as here on HAZ?
And thus one-and-the-same account is on both the phone and here on HAZ.
CannondaleKid

garyc57

Post by garyc57 » Dec 20 2018 12:40 pm

A plausible scenario could be: My wife and I both have accounts on HAZ. We both create tracks in Route Cloud. We both go hiking together. She forgets her phone (I never forget mine; of course, not!) We decide to hike her track, not mine. How???

A possible answer would be - IF we had flagged each other's account and the tracks as "Follow", then I believe I could download her track using my phone and login ID. Yes? No?
Last edited by garyc57 on Dec 20 2018 12:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.

chumley

Post by chumley » Dec 20 2018 1:30 pm

garyc57 wrote:
Dec 20 2018 12:40 pm
IF we had flagged each other's account and the tracks as "Follow", then I believe I could download her track using my phone and login ID. Yes? No?
Yes, any track set to "follow" can be loaded to the app of anybody who that person is following.

Meaning your wife's track must be set to "follow" and she must be "following" you. It doesn't matter at all if you are "following" her.
Profound observer

joebartels

Post by joebartels » Dec 20 2018 1:56 pm

CannondaleKid wrote:your Route Scout login/password should be the same as your login here on HikeArizona.com
yes [ FAQ: Policy ]
CannondaleKid wrote:A relevant question for
seems irrelevant given the above
garyc57 wrote:IF we had flagged each other's account and the tracks as "Follow", then I believe I could download her track using my phone and login ID. Yes? No?
sí, oui, ja, yes
chumley wrote:any track set to "follow" can be loaded to the app of anybody who that person is following.
el bingo, le lotto, das bingo, bingo
Hike Arizona it ROCKS!

fdv75

Post by fdv75 » Dec 20 2018 5:54 pm

chumley wrote:fdv75 wrote:
Now I would like to use a new/different Account/Password to log into RouteScout.
Why?

I am a member of a large hiking group. Each person is trying to use the RouteScout app on the smartphone to "Follow" our custom generated gpx files for the group hiking trips.
Looking for a easy way, so that all the hikers running RouteScout can simply load the prepared gpx file for each hike without everyone needing to also use RouteManager to put the gpx file into the each persons RouteCloud.

Initially I was thinking of creating a single account&password for all the hikers. All the hikers would install RouteScout on their own smartphones with that same account&password.

Only the our hike organizer would need to do the hike planning, custom gpx file generation, RouteManager activity, load gpx file into the RouteCloud.

Every hiker in the group using RouteScout (using the same account&password) would be able to "Import" and "Follow" the organizer provides hikes from the single RouteCloud.

Ideas?
I am not familiar with the mentioned idea of "following someone else's tracks". Is that in RouteScout on the smartphone or in HikeArizona.com website?

The_Eagle
City, State: Far NE Phoenix, Az

Post by The_Eagle » Dec 20 2018 6:06 pm

@fdv75
Set the route to "Public" all will be able to use it.

Don't forget to "Share" your tracks on Hikearizona, to help others in the future.
There is a very fine line between "hobby" and "mental illness."
Dave Barry

chumley

Post by chumley » Dec 20 2018 6:42 pm

@fdv75
As The Eagle said, a route can be set to "Private", "Follow" or "Public". It is set to private by default. If you set it to Public anybody can load it from Route Cloud into the app regardless of who they are.

If you have routes you'd rather not make available to absolutely everybody, but rather just your hiking group, then you have to do a little bit of setup work ahead of time on the website. You'll need to know their website/Route Scout username so that you can look up their profile page on the web and click the "+follow" button. Once you've done that, any route that you make and set to "follow" will be visible to all the people you have chosen to "follow" (but not visible to anybody else). This would be my recommendation. Even if you have 50 people, setting them all to "follow" is a one-time action that lasts forever, or until you deliberately go back and unfollow them.

Another bonus is that when any of them post something on the site, their posts are highlighted more than people you don't follow. Similar to how some social media sites organize what you see first.

To get to a profile page, you can click a name in any post (for example, my name at the top of this post). For somebody who hasn't ever posted here, you can find their profile by using the "deep search" on the home page, typing their name, and selecting the "members" tab.
Last edited by chumley on Dec 20 2018 6:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.

joebartels

Post by joebartels » Dec 20 2018 7:00 pm

@fdv75
Access Helper
RS-Access.png
Hike Arizona it ROCKS!

garyc57

Post by garyc57 » Dec 20 2018 8:16 pm

chumley wrote: If you set it to Public anybody can load it...
May I point out my mistake? For years, I presumed that by "Public" it meant that others could modify my routes. I was mistaken. They can see them, but can't change them. :oops:

RowdyandMe
City, State: Deer Valley, AZ

Post by RowdyandMe » Dec 20 2018 8:30 pm

@garyc57
You were getting it mixup with politics.
Rowdy and Widowmaker

big_load
City, State: Andover, NJ

Post by big_load » Dec 20 2018 11:26 pm

chumley wrote:
Dec 20 2018 1:30 pm
garyc57 wrote:
Dec 20 2018 12:40 pm
IF we had flagged each other's account and the tracks as "Follow", then I believe I could download her track using my phone and login ID. Yes? No?
Yes, any track set to "follow" can be loaded to the app of anybody who that person is following.

Meaning your wife's track must be set to "follow" and she must be "following" you. It doesn't matter at all if you are "following" her.
I can't follow this.

fdv75

Post by fdv75 » Dec 21 2018 4:49 pm

@chumley

Thank you very much or the information. I have just now tried that "follow" process. It should work good for our hiking group.

fdv75

Post by fdv75 » Dec 21 2018 4:53 pm

@joebartels

Much appreciated. The image helps a lot.
I should be able to "train" our entire hiking group now on doing the steps to follow".

rcorfman

Post by rcorfman » Dec 23 2018 9:10 pm

It would just be so much easier if RouteScout would let you load a gpx file without having to deal with RouteCloud. For example, on my PCT hike, a gpx file was available for one of the fire reroutes. I wanted to just load it into route scout but really couldn't hassle with figuring out how to get it into routecloud when all I had was my phone to work with.
Go find a LonelyCache

joebartels

Post by joebartels » Dec 23 2018 9:20 pm

@rcorfman
RC can process a lot more formats. Perhaps gpx in app for active members in the future. RS was created for HAZ, not to bypass HAZ.

If you have internet Plan > Route Cloud > Upload
2 clicks on desktop, 3 on mobile since you can't hover Plan to open
Hike Arizona it ROCKS!

CannondaleKid

Post by CannondaleKid » Dec 24 2018 5:52 am

joebartels wrote:
Dec 23 2018 9:20 pm
RS was created for HAZ, not to bypass HAZ.
Thanks Joe! :yr:
CannondaleKid

Jim_H

Post by Jim_H » Jul 02 2019 11:22 am

Out hiking, trying to use route scout. Accuracy is stuck up near 3000 ft and only got to 44 ft at best. It will not record. My first time using the application.
Society's constraints are stifling! The only way to hike is fully nude!

Return to “HAZ Apps”