App support

Moderator: HAZ - Moderators

Linked Guides none
Linked Areas none
joebartels
City, State: Phoenix, AZ

RS Route + Triplog

Post by joebartels » Jun 06 2019 5:50 pm

A work in progress, months in development surfacing recently - keeping HAZ Fresh

Example is urban overkill for most and not the most becoming format.
Nevertheless this example triplog touches on key points.
For those that review the following in full I'm open to thoughts and/or ideas

Aside from posting a Route needed for an Official Route, why post a RS Route AND a Triplog?
please review the following before responding

Triplogs started or posted in full from RS embed the route in the triplog.

Aside from less of a burden on data objects stored...
- integrates triplog directly to the map for a new/extra way to browse
- most would post 2 triplogs PLUS 2 routes... 1 seems easier than 4 posts
~ example was merged in RS before posting
~ instead of 2 urban hikes think 3 day backpack merged right in RS
~~ editing tracks before final post has been an option for over a week now
~~ these routes do display in user's (routes tab) mini-map(user only expandable) and Find in View mine/following on the map

Currently best from desktop/laptop to understand, click "view route" in the red Route Scout block ( link far above )
- triplog is in the left pane (open/close orange tab)
- considering the triplog note mileage/timestamp to be a simple ⨀ that would position the map on tap
- red arrows on elevation profile scroll previous/next triplogs by date
~ public sees public / user sees user's hidden too
~~ considering current-continuous participating/donating viewable as a new posting option

Last weekend I cleaned poor reception from lunch in an alcove and added a bazillion Eagle/Hank Waypoints.
Hike Arizona it ROCKS!

John9L
City, State: Scottsdale, AZ

Re: RS Route + Triplog

Post by John9L » Jul 22 2019 10:12 pm

I just went to upload my route to the HAZ Cloud and I no longer have the option. It's forcing me to post a triplog. I don't want to do this. I want to edit my route in Route Editor on a computer. I'll post my triplog after I'm done making edits.

Can the option to save to Route Cloud please be added back? It's been there since the beginning and it's really frustrating not having that option any more.

joebartels

Post by joebartels » Jul 23 2019 6:43 am

Edit RS Route before posting and after posting for a couple days.
rs-edit-in-triplog.png
Just added Edit RS Route to the huge green bar on the homepage so it's one less click.
rs-edit-button.png
Hike Arizona it ROCKS!

chumley
City, State: Tempe, AZ

Post by chumley » Jul 23 2019 7:38 am

I would still personally like the option to save to the cloud somewhere.

I know that we can now merge separate tracks from a backpacking trip into a single route and triplog right from within Route Scout.

However, there are times that I like the security of saving routes as I go along. For example, when on a multi-day backpack trip, I record a route each day of the trip. Most of the time I have no cell service and am in airplane mode. However, I occasionally get signal - either on a peak, or a zero day in town, etc.

I find it convenient and comforting to save the first couple of recorded routes to the cloud as a "backup" when I have the ability to do so, even though only a couple days of my trip are completed, and I have more to go. Others have had problems with storage issues or recorded tracks being deleted (for a variety of different reasons), and a simple save to route cloud function would be a nice option to have. It's like clicking "save" on that term paper you're typing after every page you write, rather than waiting until you're totally finished and hope Word doesn't crash somewhere along the way and you lose everything.

I know that the bulk of RS use probably isn't on out-of-state multi-day backpacking trips, so this might not be a priority for the devteam. But saving several routes to the cloud prior to writing a triplog is a very attractive feature. Another possible alternative would be to allow a queue of multiple "in process" triplogs (with attached routes).
Profound observer

John9L

Post by John9L » Jul 23 2019 8:11 am

@joebartels
This is great and all but how do I save my GPS Route to the Cloud? All I can do is edit my GPS Route within the Triplog. There's an "Update Draft" option but no option to Save. I want to save & edit my routes like I've been able to the past 4+ years.
Last edited by John9L on Jul 23 2019 8:14 am, edited 1 time in total.

joebartels

Post by joebartels » Jul 23 2019 8:29 am

chumley wrote:Others have had problems with storage issues or recorded tracks being deleted
Reasons related to RS were fixed.

Security ansy could post a hidden triplog to secure the route then fill it in and unhide at later date.
Multiple draft triplogs might be an option but creates other issues.
A finalize post live option would fulfill the need without creating other issues.
John9L wrote:
Jul 23 2019 8:11 am
I want to save & edit my routes like I've been able to the past 4+ years.
Aside from posting a Route needed for an Official Route, why post a RS Route AND a Triplog?
The RS Route in a triplog is saved for life. Searchable on the map like legacy GPS Routes. With the option to edit and hide, possibly hide except follow. Does not require ten thousand people to get a green dot notification that a new route has been posted... ie dog walks.
Hike Arizona it ROCKS!

John9L

Post by John9L » Jul 23 2019 8:58 am

@joebartels
There are tons for reasons for wanting to edit my GPS Route
1. I do a lot of multiday trips. I'll have at least one route saved per day. There are a lot of errors that I'll clean up over time. It's not a quick process for me.
2. I like to build off my existing routes for future trips.
3. Some routes I want to keep secret. In the day of Instagram & Social Media, I don't want people to know some of the locations.
4. There are times I want to split my GPS Route into separate saved files.
5. Sometimes I combine a lot of smaller hikes into one triplog with one GPS Route. I can't do this now.
6. The functionality existed on HAZ for years now.

I could go on & on. I shouldn't have to explan this. The reasons are obvious. You can't just take something away. Bottom line, all I want to do is save my GPS Route to the HAZ Cloud like I've been able to for years now. That's all.

chumley

Post by chumley » Jul 23 2019 10:42 am

Most of the things @9L lists above can still be accomplished, but it's more complicated than it used to be.

For me, a lot of it is convenience of workflow.

Purely hypothetical example: I regularly do a big weekly hike on Saturday but usually take a few days to put together the photos I'd like to post, perhaps look up some history or research something that I saw along the way, and then write a descriptive triplog that has details that are helpful to other HAZ users in the future.

Under the new RS, I can't save my recorded Saturday track anywhere until I've got my photos and triplog details all ready to go except if I start a triplog and leave it as an "unfinished triplog", which is the only way that I can also access and edit the route while I'm compiling the other things.

But I don't only hike on Saturday. So on Monday, Tuesday, and Wednesday, I hike Piestewa Peak as a daily workout (I love it there! :) ). I'd love to post a quick hidden triplog keeping track of my daily workout hike, but I can't, because my Saturday hike is still "unfinished" and I haven't had time to write an informative, helpful triplog yet. But if I decided not to put my big Saturday hike in the "unfinished" queue so that I could still post my daily workout triplogs, then I wouldn't be able to access to my recorded track from Saturday and edit it during my lunch break at work during the week.

I like the fact that gps tracks are linked to the triplogs now because it's a cleaner solution than previous gps posting. But I also think that some users (like me) would prefer the convenience of being able to save a route to the cloud and edit it before it is linked it to the triplog as a more efficient way to help share the most useful information to HAZ users of the future.

I accept the possibility that people are different and what seems like an efficient and logical workflow to me, might not make sense to anybody else. But sharing is caring!
Profound observer

John9L

Post by John9L » Jul 23 2019 11:59 am

I found a great solution. I deleted Route Scout & I'll use All Trails or Gaia going forward.

joebartels

Post by joebartels » Jul 23 2019 12:58 pm

chumley wrote:Under the new RS, I can't save my recorded Saturday track anywhere until I've got my photos and triplog details all ready to go except if I start a triplog and leave it as an "unfinished triplog", which is the only way that I can also access and edit the route while I'm compiling the other things.
A "Post Live" option on hidden triplogs that have never posted live for __ days would work.
chumley wrote:So on Monday, Tuesday, and Wednesday, I hike Piestewa Peak as a daily workout (I love it there! ).
Nice try, except you don't hike the great temple of the Sonoran Desert.
Hike Arizona it ROCKS!

joebartels

Post by joebartels » Jul 23 2019 1:02 pm

John9L wrote:Bottom line, all I want to do is save my GPS Route to the HAZ Cloud like I've been able to for years now. That's all.
The frustration is clear, people hate change. Hence this thread was created for feedback on June 6th. Thanks to those that gave it an honest try and helped iron out some of the frustrations. The non contributing use of HAZ and RS has to change. This is one necessary step in making that work. The ol' Route Cloud direct option will be available by some means before it cools down in the desert.
Hike Arizona it ROCKS!

chumley

Post by chumley » Oct 06 2019 10:08 am

I'm not sure that I understand the logic behind beginning a triplog from recorded track in RS, editing the track prior to posting, and then having to manually change all the triplog stats to match the edited track. One of the best features of using a RS track as the basis for your triplog is to have it automatically compute the stats (distance, elevation, time, breaks) from your hike. If you have to edit the track to remove bounced points in a canyon, maybe a bathroom break, or you forget to stop recording at the end of your hike and wander around camp for an hour, the HAZ triplog still computes stats from the original unedited track rather than from the edited track.

Maybe some users prefer to edit the track but keep stats that don't match the track they're posting?

The process is just a bit clunky to have to go back and change mileage, elevation, and aeg manually, while having no method for changing break time based on the edited gps track.
Profound observer

joebartels

Post by joebartels » Oct 06 2019 11:24 am

Needed to be sure it works before rewriting stats. There was an issue with stats after editing. Cleared that up just two weeks ago. Seems fine now so maybe in the near future.
Hike Arizona it ROCKS!

Return to “HAZ Apps”