App support

Moderator: HAZ - Moderators

Linked Guides none
Linked Areas none
andrewp
City, State: Tucson, AZ

Route Scout - Downloaded map issue

Post by andrewp »

I've been having a problem with Route Scout (iOS 14.4.2 / iPhone XS) and downloaded maps.

I have a route set to follow and maps are showing "100% available." I've tapped the reload button just to be certain.

If I put the phone into airplane mode to shut down the network connection then view the route I've found that blocks of the map will either end up showing blank blocks (showing the TrailDex logo) or pixelated as I zoom in. This is the same thing that I experience on the trail if there's no LTE signal.

I've tried deleting Route Scout and re-installing but the behavior is the same. In the test case I just performed I removed Route Scout, re-installed, loaded a route from Route Cloud, ensured that maps were showing as "100% available", put the phone into airplane mode, then previewed the route. The map is completely blank. After taking the phone out of airplane mode the map starts to load, but some blocks of the topo map are missing along the route.

I've observed this behavior on the trail many (most) times and its to the point that I can't trust Route Scout as a navigation tool.

Any ideas what I'm doing wrong here?
joebartels
City, State: Phoenix, AZ

Re: Route Scout - Downloaded map issue

Post by joebartels »

Debug in the lower right, immediately when experiencing would be helpful to resolve.

I've heard about it from several. Closing and reopening the app works for some but not all.
- joe
andrewp

Post by andrewp »

@joebartels

Just sent a debug report. Conditions were:

* App killed
* Phone put into airplane mode
* Start app and preview loaded route
* Zoom in to route section which is missing a map block.

Put the phone back online and sent debug report.

Note that this is the same behavior as I was seeing before I killed and restarted the app. In fact the same section of the map was missing.
hikerdw
City, State: Mesa,AZ

Post by hikerdw »

@andrewp I always “Begin Activity” first then put the phone in Airplane mode.
joebartels

Post by joebartels »

Older tedious issue; Maps working off-line for the beginning of the hike then mysteriously disappear mid-hike.
- Swiping RS closed and reopening works first try most of the time. No loss of recording. Obviously not optimal. There is a future fix in the works.

andrewp iOS issue; iOS 100% loaded, directly to airplane mode, absolutely no maps
1st I've heard. Confirmed. Not optimal, but previewing all areas desired at desired zoom before going off-line caches. Capacity and duration are unknown. Highly unlikely there will be a quick fix but I'm working on it.
- joe
andrewp

Post by andrewp »

joebartels wrote:Swiping RS closed and reopening works first try most of the time.
Just so I'm clear, I'm assuming that you mean backgrounding the app and then refocusing on it as opposed to killing (swiping up in app switcher). Correct?
joebartels

Post by joebartels »

kill it
App switcher - swipe RS up

However, that only helps if the maps are initially viewable as previously mentioned.
- joe
joebartels

Post by joebartels »

iOS 5.3.02 - No Offline Maps Displayed Issue
Potentially resolved. Might roll out late next week after alpha testing this weekend, then to beta testers early next week.

A temporary fix is live. Displays a blue line that reads "Offline Maps Patch Added" on the home screen for all iOS 5.3.02 users.
- Patch is only for iOS 5.3.02 users. Definitely an iOS issue since Mar 16th or before.
- If you do not see the blue line, the temporary fix is not installed. Tap files, then navigate back to home while online.
- Offline maps on RS; the sum of 5 last imported or manually set to follow files, the final 5 closeup zoom levels, ~0.5 mi from either side of tracks under 35 miles.

For HAZ issues, please utilize issue or help at the bottom of all pages; for RS, use debug on the home screen.
- joe
andrewp

Post by andrewp »

@joebartels

Tried the patch on a hike yesterday and had no issues. Every time I brought the app to the foreground the map was properly displayed based on the parameters you outlined above. I was having issues about 90% of the time in the past so this is a huge improvement for me. Thanks!!

Return to “HAZ Apps”