Aug 2015 >>>>> Route Scout <<<<< replaces this app

HAZ Tracks - GPS Hiking App
● record hikes
● import & export
● offline topo & satellite maps

Android

iPhone

Quirks ( not a HAZ Tracks issue )
- Nexus w/Jellybean off line maps do not work, consider upgrading to 4.4 or higher
- Moto X not working? try "Device only" rather than "High accuracy"
- Android 4.1.1 map freezes, upgrade your device to 4.1.2 or higher

Windows Mobile - Current status :next: viewtopic.php?f=84&t=8120&p=103519#p103519

Hike Arizona it ROCKS!

SAMBA
City, State: Tucson, AZ

Re: mobile

Post by SAMBA » Jan 13 2015 10:16 am

@chumley

Thanks for the "Hippie" link. After reading a few of the threads I did a little more groping around in my Locations settings, and hit on a setting which seems to make Haz Tracks work. Unfortunately it comes at the expense of being able to use my Moto X for its original intention, as a phone. I set the Location mode to "Device only" rather than Bartel's "High accuracy" instructions. The info provided with the "Device only" settings says "Use GPS to determine your location". Made sense to me. I figured "nothing ventured, nothing gained", so I gave it a try. Bartels???? YIKES! Why do I pay any attention to him? From now on "You da man"!

SAMBA

Post by SAMBA » Jan 13 2015 10:47 am

I had another epiphany. Well I did a Google Search, anyway, on "device only setting android", and found a couple of other ways to get HAZ Tracks to work on my Moto X, http://forums.androidcentral.com/moto-x ... -mode.html. I don't know if either turning off data or setting the phone to airplane mode and gps is an optimal solution, but they both seem to work.

BobP
City, State: Scottsdale, AZ

Post by BobP » Jan 13 2015 11:06 am

BobP wrote:@SAMBA
Go to setting..location...mode and make sure gps is set to high accuracy..
If you use high accuracy it works really well and why would you want to answer a phone while hiking :) ....if you use device only gps it works but not as well on my android. So I guess it depends if you want people to be able to follow your tracks to the bar or not.
http://www.blindmotivation.com
http://www.seeitourway.org
Always pronounce Egeszsegedre properly......
If you like this triplog you must be a friend of BrunoP

SAMBA

Post by SAMBA » Jan 13 2015 11:16 am

@BobP

I've tried the app in "High accuracy", and it doesn't work on my Moto X. Am I missing something?

SAMBA

Post by SAMBA » Jan 13 2015 11:29 am

SAMBA wrote:Bartels???? YIKES! Why do I pay any attention to him?
Maybe yooz guys shouldn't be so quick to dismiss Joe. My "High accuracy" setting is now working. As the Sisters of Saint Joesph used to say when you asked them a question such as "If God is so powerful, can he make a rock so big he himself can't lift" their stock responses to said question was "It's a mystery". Haz tracks has NEVER worked before, but now it does. It's a mystery!

no avatar
Josi
City, State: Germany

Re: HAZ Tracks - GPS Hiking App

Post by Josi » Jan 14 2015 3:20 pm

HeyHo . . . i Need the Topos for the entire AZT to GDT route as Topo. And now i splittet the Track in Parts Arizona Trail / HayDuke Trail / CDT / GDT . But i cant load more than 40 miles as Oflline map. Why?

Greetings from Germany

Nico

joebartels
City, State: Phoenix, AZ

Post by joebartels » Jan 14 2015 3:35 pm

I'll double it on the next release. This app is designed to be lightweight. It targets the largest audience which is day hikers. Please keep in mind while it is possible on Android 4.4+, there are no locked permissions to keep the OS ( Google ) from overwriting what it considers excessive storage.
Hike Arizona it ROCKS!

SAMBA

Re: responsive design

Post by SAMBA » Jan 20 2015 9:44 am

@joe bartels

Yo Joe,

Would the system upgrades ( responsive design ) account for the erratic behavior my Android 4.4.2 Motorola Moto X exhibits when I try to create a GPS track? I tried a few different things to get past the infinite "Determining accuracy" dialog box, but despite a couple of promising attempts Moto X is "back doing the things it used to do" (thank you Chuck Berry). I've currently got my Location mode set to "High accuracy", but no cigar!
Last edited by joebartels on Jan 20 2015 9:49 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: moved from responsive design to HAZ Tracks

joebartels

Post by joebartels » Jan 20 2015 9:55 am

short: no

long:
The responsive design is for the website HikeArizona.COM aka HAZ
HAZ Tracks is stand alone APP
They do talk with each other transferring routes through Route Cloud™ ( cloud storage for Route MGR™ )

thought:
If you had it working once it's probably in your settings.

consider:
Ride your bike up to Squaw, I'll take a look at it. Lots of pubs between here and Tucson!
Hike Arizona it ROCKS!

winotron

Post by winotron » Jan 20 2015 1:26 pm

@joe bartels
Hey Joe, you may have seen in my recent triplog, but as of version 1.8.16, HAZ Tracks now works OK on my Moto X. I've used it successfully for several hikes now. Before this update, it made no difference what settings I changed on my phone, it would just never lock on. Now, it takes about 20-30 seconds, but it does eventually lock on. It seems so much more accurate than the other apps I've tried, too. So thanks!

@SAMBA
I have the same phone so it's weird that it still wouldn't be working for you. The only difference I can think of is i'm on Android 4.4.4 and you're on 4.4.2. If your carrier offers 4.4.4 on your Moto X, you can try that.

joebartels

Post by joebartels » Jan 20 2015 1:42 pm

Yeah we gotta get SAMBA up here on the Tour de Squaw. Sounds like a setting, a monitoring app that disables settings or he's testing it in a bomb cellar.
Hike Arizona it ROCKS!

chumley
City, State: Tempe, AZ

Post by chumley » Mar 03 2015 9:53 am

Noticed this on a recent hike where two of us were using HAZ Tracks on iPhone. When you stop for a break, HAZ Tracks stops recording. (Not sure the length of time you have to stop for, but the recording stops even if the phone still has good reception/clear view of sky).

If you begin hiking again without checking and restarting the app, you won't be recording. When checking the app it always say "satellite reception lost for 3 minutes, yadayada".

I'm wondering if this is a programming thing that can be adjusted? Since the app runs in background/sleep mode, there's not really any way of knowing that it has stopped recording without manually checking.

Assuming that the program is written to "stop recording" after 3 minutes of inactivity or lost satellite signal, would it be possible to have it verbally announce that the recording is about to shut off before actually doing so? Audio splits still work in background/sleep mode, so I wonder if it would be possible for this warning to announce too.

On iPhone, currently the only time you hear an audible warning about satellite reception loss is when you manually launch the HAZ Tracks app after you realize recording has stopped. (When it's recording you can see a flashing blue bar at the top of the lock screen).

Slight side-note, the audible splits do not play when listening to music on the iOS built-in music app. I don't know if it is affected by other audio apps (spotify, pandora, etc.) or not.
Highway to hell

RowdyandMe
City, State: Deer Valley, AZ

Post by RowdyandMe » Mar 03 2015 10:46 am

@chumley
I use a Galaxy S3 and when I stop it does stop recording my movement but not my time. Once I start again it starts recording. And I have beed stopped for more than 20 mintues and it starts up just find.
I do have a Spot but I never turn it on until I am running late and can send my wife and son I am ok still hiking message. It makes the battery last much longer on the Spot.
The issue you are having might just be a Apple thing.
Rowdy and Widowmaker

joebartels

Post by joebartels » Mar 03 2015 11:23 am

was the iPhone left on HAZ Tracks in foreground or backgrounded during these breaks?
( from first post in thread )
HAZ Track bugs ( on todo list to resolve )
- using the camera may stop app ( check HAZ Tracks after taking photos! )
- using other apps may stop HAZ Tracks
Hike Arizona it ROCKS!

chumley

Post by chumley » Mar 03 2015 12:26 pm

No other apps actively running. HAZ Tracks was in foreground, screen off (sleep), phone in pocket.
Highway to hell

joebartels

Post by joebartels » Mar 03 2015 1:15 pm

Something sounds fishy, I left an iPhone sitting on a desk for two days and HAZ Tracks kept running.

Things that "stop" HAZ Tracks...
- user pressing "stop & save" or "pause"
- satellite reception lost for over 3 minutes**
- another app interrupting
- dead battery

This is either new to iOS 8 which I can not test on an older iPhone 4 or the audible is not heard.

**Honestly I can not hear iPhones audible in my pack even with the volume cranked. The volume on an iPhone is maybe a third as loud as Android. The split interval hawk on Android is loud enough to make you jump out of our skin.

I'm not buying you took a 20 minute break without texting, talking or being a social butterfly :STP:
Hike Arizona it ROCKS!

joebartels

Post by joebartels » Mar 03 2015 1:59 pm

I looked into the code...
after satellite reception is lost for 3 minutes it vibrates, stops the app then restarts. It continues this loop for infinity. I know from experience when satellite is lost I have had trouble getting it to start ( it just dawned on me this is probably a bug*, thanks for the heads up ). So I had to close the app ( android, there is no back key on iPhone ) to restart.

android vibration is set to 2.5 seconds, iPhone does not allow a set figure so it stops after 1 second

* added to the bug list
If it's not too involved I'll work on it at the next code break.

edit: actually CHUMS is spot on, apparently I never tested an iPhone with the screen off :sweat:
...I'll get to it at the next code break
Hike Arizona it ROCKS!

friendofThundergod
City, State: AZ

Post by friendofThundergod » Mar 03 2015 3:17 pm

I'm confused I could have sworn someone said about a week ago that the traditional GPS was obsolete and could no longer compete with cell phones and , apps like HAZ tracks. I just witnessed someone strap a GPS to their chest for nine plus hours in a down pour and not have one stoppage and miles and AEG accurate to the tenth. Similarly, no issues from the other two guys carrying obsolete Garmins that day as well...

Perhaps it might be a tad early to annoit the IPhone as the replacement to traditional GPS? Or a little premature to say the traditional GPS is no longer relevant ;)

Where is that two cents emoticon when I need it? lol

chumley

Post by chumley » Mar 03 2015 3:50 pm

@friendofThundergod
chumley wrote:...just like the market for "consumer-grade" cameras has taken a huge hit, the consumer GPS market is going to smart phones. It's just a matter of time.
I believe you are referring to this post. If you read carefully you won't find the word "obsolete" anywhere. The iPhone is definitely not a replacement for a handheld Garmin. But some Android devices are getting close. You'll note I said "It's just a matter of time". I believe that to be true. Others may disagree. The Eagle responded with a list of some features where GPS specific devices still have an advantage over phones. But I think those advantages will disappear in the next year or so as phone hardware improves and software is written to address the missing features.

And it's :M2C:
Yours may be at a different exchange rate ;)
Highway to hell

joebartels

Post by joebartels » Mar 03 2015 7:25 pm

friendofThundergod wrote:I just witnessed someone strap a GPS to their chest for nine plus hours in a down pour and not have one stoppage
joy :lol:

Not sure on Garmin's larger paperweight models. They seem to be selling more watches than ever. The Fenix has had two new models since the last Oregon rolled out. It will be interesting to see if future outdoor proof smartwatches will put a dent in the sports watch revolution.
Hike Arizona it ROCKS!

Return to “HAZ Apps”