Aug 2015 >>>>> Route Scout <<<<< replaces this app

HAZ Tracks - GPS Hiking App
● record hikes
● import & export
● offline topo & satellite maps

Android

iPhone

Quirks ( not a HAZ Tracks issue )
- Nexus w/Jellybean off line maps do not work, consider upgrading to 4.4 or higher
- Moto X not working? try "Device only" rather than "High accuracy"
- Android 4.1.1 map freezes, upgrade your device to 4.1.2 or higher

Windows Mobile - Current status :next: viewtopic.php?f=84&t=8120&p=103519#p103519

Hike Arizona it ROCKS!

chumley
City, State: Tempe, AZ

Re: HAZ Tracks - GPS Hiking App

Post by chumley » Sep 09 2014 4:54 pm

@Bradshaws
That's interesting. I'll test it with some of the other apps. But most apps use your position. Facebook does for sure. Even web pages want to use your location so they can serve local ads.
Highway to hell

joebartels
City, State: Phoenix, AZ

Post by joebartels » Sep 09 2014 5:30 pm

There is a "camera" plugin I can add to the app so I was curious if that would help. Probably unlikely. Only the 4s and up have pano so I can't test on the iPhone 4. Photos, video & map worked okay. I wasn't actually moving so I'll test more tomorrow. Couldn't find any mention of "panorama photo closing other app" and such googling dev forums.
Hike Arizona it ROCKS!

joebartels

Post by joebartels » Sep 09 2014 7:04 pm

• iTunes just approved 1.8.2
  • 1.8.3 has now been submitted which has several iOS updates as noted in this post
  • current status is always on the first post
Big thanks to CHUMS for a detailed iPhone review which should help it appear a bit more professional on iOS in 1.8.3. It kept the dev team busy for eighty seven hours. I'm very excited as it runs extremely nice on iOS. Partially what makes iPhone so slick is the 64 bit processor since iPhone 4. Android is just now knocking on that door.
Hike Arizona it ROCKS!

Bradshaws

Post by Bradshaws » Sep 09 2014 8:17 pm

@chumley I'm sure I'm being naive but I only have 4-5 apps that I allow access to my location, i.e. Weather, mapping or gps apps. 8-[ and these are the ones that I've had problems with. At this point, while I run a GPS app, I don't run or open any other app. I can answer a call and send text without any problems :)

On a side note...
I know it's bizarre but I'm one of the few people on planet earth that does not have a Facebook profile. HAZ is one of the very few place I interact in/on social media. I don't know if it paranoia or the avoidance of frustration that keeps me away :lol: but I love it
“ you know what I think?... It doesn’t matter what I think”

MtnBart01
City, State: Chipita Park, Co

Post by MtnBart01 » Sep 09 2014 10:04 pm

@joe bartels
I have a 5. I'll try shooting video, taking pano etc. tomorrow. I haven't noticed any issues when taking pictures. I generally keep it in photos or haz tracks and lock the screen, but I didn't notice any issues. I'm generally not moving when taking photos or looking at progress as that generally leads to tripping over exposed tree roots and my toes are not very tough right now. :-({|=
LET IT SNOW! Let it SNOW! Let it Snow!

The_Eagle
City, State: Far NE Phoenix, Az

Post by The_Eagle » Sep 09 2014 10:50 pm

MtnBart01 wrote:tripping over exposed tree roots
That would make for a good video... you tripping over routes or roots, and tumbling past a couple of fellow hikers. :sl:
There is a very fine line between "hobby" and "mental illness."
Dave Barry

MtnBart01
City, State: Chipita Park, Co

Post by MtnBart01 » Sep 10 2014 5:01 pm

Downloaded update for ios 1.8.2. Haz tracks didn't miss a beat. Tried pano, video, photo. Locked screen on photo app. Every time I went to Haz tracks it was running.
LET IT SNOW! Let it SNOW! Let it Snow!

rwstorm
City, State: Tucson, AZ

Post by rwstorm » Sep 11 2014 5:03 pm

Okay, I took my Galaxy S4 running Android 4.4.2 down to Madera Canyon today to give The HAZ hiking app (1.8.3) a test. BTW Joe it is a great app with easy to use functions in my book! Excellent instructions as well. Good job! :) I also ran my Garmin Oregon 450 on the hike so I could compare the results. I haven't done that yet, but I am sure it will be interesting.

Anyway, the one thing I was worried about was the phone battery running out of juice before the hike was done, which it did. I didn't take a camera with me, so I was also snapping pictures with the phone. This probably didn't help matters. When I started the hike (which took around 6 hours) the phone was at 93 percent battery. I had it in power saver mode. I have already disabled many of the apps to help with battery life, but still have some like Facebook running. Perhaps I need to disable more, but don't like the idea of shutting some of them down. Anyway, I almost finished the hike when the battery became critical, so I paused and saved the track, put the phone into airplane mode, and waited til I got home and charged it up awhile before checking on the track again. It was still there, looked good, so I successfully sent it to route manager to play with later. Nice!

Now to get the phone battery to last longer (looks like I may need to have it in airplane mode when I start hiking?).

(By the way, I loaded the current version 1.8.3 from google play before September 8th).
Onward into oblivion!

The_Eagle

Post by The_Eagle » Sep 11 2014 5:10 pm

@rwstorm
I'm sure Joe will pipe in, but Airplane mode makes a big difference.
I've gone 13 hours with my Android phone (I was not taking pictures though).
Dave Barry

joebartels

Post by joebartels » Sep 11 2014 6:54 pm

One of the advantages of Android over iPhone is gps runs in Airplane Mode ( called Flight Mode on some ). That turns off bluetooth, wifi and cellular signals ( at least on several models I've worked with ) which drains the battery.
rwstorm wrote:it is a great app with easy to use functions in my book! Excellent instructions as well. Good job!
Great to hear! Credit Bruce and several others for honest feedback through fifty some versions, it has come a long ways.
Hike Arizona it ROCKS!

rwstorm

Post by rwstorm » Sep 11 2014 7:01 pm

@joe bartels
Sounds like that is what I need to do right of the gate next time. I also have the option of turning the gps off (which I normally have on of course). Does that matter? Or does the app still work anyway? Sounds like going to airplane mode is the most import thing to do. I can appreciate how much work has gone into tweaking this thing. Feedback from the field is critical. :)
Onward into oblivion!

joebartels

Post by joebartels » Sep 11 2014 7:07 pm

gps is required for the app
Hike Arizona it ROCKS!

rwstorm

Post by rwstorm » Sep 11 2014 7:14 pm

@joe bartels
Figured that of course! I don't want it off anyway. Was just wondering if the app ran it differently than the phone does, or if off the app turns it on by default, if off. I always have it on, makes; essential for Facebook check-ins, etc. :lol:
Onward into oblivion!

joebartels

Post by joebartels » Sep 11 2014 7:37 pm

If gps is off HAZ Tracks notifies you to turn it on. Perhaps a future feature to turn in on from the app will surface someday.

In my experiences on Android, wifi is the biggest battery drain. Cell is next, then bluetooth barely. GPS is only spot checked by most non-mapping apps so turning it off probably isn't going to net much gain.
Hike Arizona it ROCKS!

rwstorm

Post by rwstorm » Sep 11 2014 7:51 pm

@joe bartels
Thanks Joe. Figured wifi was a fairly big drain. I use it on the road alot, so I don't run up my data too much, but then it doesn't matter because I am charging as I go. I turned it off today before the hike. Taking a fair number of pictures didn't help, and I stopped doing that once I reached Josephine Saddle when I saw the battery level. Don't like many of the pictures from the phone anyway, so in the future I will be using my camera. That will also help. My preliminary look at the track makes me think the app did a very good job.
Onward into oblivion!

The_Eagle

Post by The_Eagle » Sep 11 2014 7:57 pm

@joe bartels
In my experience, with the cell turned on, and in fringe zones or no service, the phone will attempt to switch to analog to find a signal and the battery drains quickly.
Dave Barry

neilends
City, State: Scottsdale

Post by neilends » Sep 11 2014 10:03 pm

GPS on iPhones, at least my iPhone 4, still works in Airplane mode. I thought I also used the HAZ app on airplane mode but I can't remember for sure. I do know that other apps, like Gaia GPS, that function perfectly well on airplane mode.
"Facts are stubborn things; and whatever may be our wishes, our inclinations, or the dictates of our passions, they cannot alter the state of facts and evidence." --John Adams

chumley
City, State: Tempe, AZ

Post by chumley » Sep 11 2014 10:46 pm

@neilends
There might be an override available on a jail broken iPhone, but the GPS most assuredly does not work while in airplane mode on iPhones.

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT1355
Highway to hell

wha
City, State: Arizona

Post by wha » Sep 11 2014 11:56 pm

@the eagle analog service was discontinued some years ago but you're right that searching is a big battery drain. I believe when the phone can't find signal it will ramp upt the power used so it goes even faster.

I miss the analog days. Lot of places that are now "No Service" I was able to make calls from before.

CannondaleKid
City, State: Mesa, AZ

Post by CannondaleKid » Sep 12 2014 8:22 am

rwstorm wrote:Now to get the phone battery to last longer
How about using one of the small battery-powered cell-chargers. I have two different brand chargers and they are not much larger than a cigarette lighter.

While I don't have a smart phone and never have me cell on while hiking, I use them with my GoPro camera when filming hours of video. So far, using a fully charged GoPro battery and one fully charged cell-charger (2600 m/Ah capacity) I've been able to double the filming time.

With probably hundreds of models of the chargers to choose from I'd recommend sticking with the higher rated ones... higher by capacity rating as well as higher review ratings.

I have a Tenergy 2600m/Ah and an Anker 3000 m/Ah. Although rated lower the Tenergy seems to last longer in relation to its capacity over the Anker, plus it is slightly lighter with a hard plastic instead of the metal (aluminum?) of the Anker. I also like the square tube shape of the Tenergy over the round tube of the Anker.

BTW, didn't mean to hi-jack the thread... if enough interest a new thread will be in order.
CannondaleKid

Return to “HAZ Apps”