Aug 2015 >>>>> Route Scout <<<<< replaces this app

HAZ Tracks - GPS Hiking App
● record hikes
● import & export
● offline topo & satellite maps

Android

iPhone

Quirks ( not a HAZ Tracks issue )
- Nexus w/Jellybean off line maps do not work, consider upgrading to 4.4 or higher
- Moto X not working? try "Device only" rather than "High accuracy"
- Android 4.1.1 map freezes, upgrade your device to 4.1.2 or higher

Windows Mobile - Current status :next: viewtopic.php?f=84&t=8120&p=103519#p103519

Hike Arizona it ROCKS!

The_Eagle
City, State: Far NE Phoenix, Az

Re: HAZ Tracks - GPS Hiking App

Post by The_Eagle » Sep 12 2014 8:43 am

@chumley
How about with the new iPhone 6's?
Have they changed the way crApple does the airplane mode?
There is a very fine line between "hobby" and "mental illness."
Dave Barry

neilends
City, State: Scottsdale

Post by neilends » Sep 12 2014 10:19 am

chumley wrote:@neilends
There might be an override available on a jail broken iPhone, but the GPS most assuredly does not work while in airplane mode on iPhones.

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT1355
I'm not a tech guy and have no idea how to jail break an iPhone. I just know that when I put it in airplane mode, the Gaia GPS app shows my exact location using GPS when I bring it up. And I've confirmed from long hikes that my battery is barely being used when I do this, because I only lose a few percentage points.

If this means I have some mutant iPhone that's superior than its gene pool, maybe I won't be upgrading to the iPhone 6.
"Facts are stubborn things; and whatever may be our wishes, our inclinations, or the dictates of our passions, they cannot alter the state of facts and evidence." --John Adams

MtnBart01
City, State: Chipita Park, Co

Post by MtnBart01 » Sep 17 2014 8:29 am

I used Haz tracks and 450 yesterday. 5 to 6 hours max on my phone. I did have it pause at least twice. I didn't use phone to take pictures, but I did receive a couple texts and one phone call and I was cycling in and out of phone service areas which I suspect caused the battery drain and maybe pauses? I definitely noticed when I lost signal because my map disappeared for the remainder of the hike.
LET IT SNOW! Let it SNOW! Let it Snow!

chumley
City, State: Tempe, AZ

Post by chumley » Sep 17 2014 9:24 am

@neilends
I think you have a mutant iphone! :)

If you have an older iPhone 3g or 3gs on the AT&T network, you can turn off the 3G cellular radio while maintaining the GPS radio. You will still have 2G cell service. It is not in airplane mode, but the battery life is dramatically increased.

This option is not available on iPhone 4 or above, nor was it available on Verizon even with the 3g or 3gs models.

Otherwise, GAIA GPS states on their own support page:
Please note:
If your phone is in airplane mode, the GPS won't operate, and Gaia can't record tracks.
See bottom of this page: http://help.gaiagps.com/knowledgebase/a ... leshooting

If you are in Airplane Mode and have re-enabled the WiFi radio, your phone will be able to locate you if within range of any wifi base stations (around the house, yard, town, etc.). This isn't nearly as accurate as GPS, but it does work to an extent with all iphone models.
Highway to hell

rwstorm
City, State: Tucson, AZ

Post by rwstorm » Sep 17 2014 11:17 am

About a 3 hour hike (RT) to Wasson Peak today in the rain. Galaxy S4 was at 98 percent when I started, had it in airplane mode whole way, and was down to 60 perecnt when got back to car. No photos were taken with it this time, stayed in the belt holster the whole hike. HAZ Tracks & phone did just fine. :)
Onward into oblivion!

rwstorm
City, State: Tucson, AZ

Post by rwstorm » Sep 18 2014 5:35 am

On my Wasson Peak hike, HAZ Tracks recorded the hike as 7.19 miles/2007 AEG/2021 points. The Oregon 450 recorded it as 7.02 miles/1814 AEG/1298 points. I had the Garmin set to auto/more often for record mode. On my next hike I will have it set to track by time, every 5 seconds. That should get the number of points more in line with HAZ Tracks. I still expect to see differences. Any reason why HAZ Tracks comes in higher (seemingly a little too high)?
Onward into oblivion!

joebartels
City, State: Phoenix, AZ

Post by joebartels » Sep 18 2014 6:34 am

Please post up your Oregon route or make it public on Route Manager.

Android, which I think you are using, has been very good in my experiences. Typically within +/-1% whereas Garmin typically comes in +5%.

iPhone gives me higher results with more scribble. Which is compounded more if you are not moving quick. My results back in spring setting both on a table overnight... Android came in with a point or two, iPhone came in with a quarter mile. In a more recent two day test iPhone 4 had over three miles and a fifty yard circle blob of scribbles. The iPhone 6 should be better. We should start seeing results this weekend from members.
Hike Arizona it ROCKS!

joebartels

Post by joebartels » Sep 18 2014 8:07 am

@rwstorm Looks pretty ballpark. With both loaded in Route MGR and zoomed in you get a good overview.
- neither have you exactly on the trail in both directions
- contrary to popular belief consumer devices are not 100% accurate
- what is reasonable and what is not ( Garmin & Android are reasonable in my experiences )
- how do we compare all these

The authority on accuracy is not Garmin nor a smartphone. I've hiked in a group with three Oregon 450s. We never had the same results. jj & I typically have very very near results with the Fenix. It's on your arm in great satellite view and we don't sit around. The best results out of any device is an unobstructed satellite view. If I have HAZ Tracks running it is in the top pocket on my pack near the outside. On one trip I placed it on my hip belt and got poor results.

The best way I know to compare inaccurate results is Route MGR.
1) Zoom in close on satellite view and cancel out major scribbles. Generally not an issue unless in a slot canyon or such.
2) Next simplify. HAZ Tracks records what your device has available. We can then do what we want with the data. Fenix records much more than Oregon and it does very well. On the same token more garbage data equals more garbage results.

Smartphone "in device" AEG results are typically dismal. Easily realistified by uploading to HAZ which syncs to 1/3 arc National Elevation Dataset. This is the best wide spread data available anywhere. With that in mind it's still 10m at best. That's a whopping 33 feet. In a few years 1/9 arc or 10 foot accuracy should be available for the US.

Do what you want with the data. Quarrel at will. If anyone runs HAZ Tracks and another GPS app then gets better results on the other app over multiple trips on the same course I'd like to see it in Route MGR.

I made one step higher available to the public on HAZ Tracks in Simplify. After syncing elevation on multiple devices then simplifying to "equalizer" you should get the best inaccurate result comparison on earth I'm aware of existing.
2014-09-21 edit to above paragraph: simplify options have been revised to 3 levels with the lowest level removed as it was insignificant
Hike Arizona it ROCKS!

The_Eagle
City, State: Far NE Phoenix, Az

Post by The_Eagle » Sep 18 2014 9:18 am

Here's another compare from yesterday.
Moving at a decent pace with little stop time.
Few Sat. reception problem possibilities other than rain clouds
No tight switchbacks
4.5 hours, used about 50% battery

One small HAZ Track burp on the west side, where it looks like it paused and restarted. (no notification heard)
http://hikearizona.com/map.php?MY=8488&M=5

HAZ Tracks -- 14.72 miles -- 1806 AEG -- 2874 pts
Oregon450T - 14.41 miles -- 1743 AEG -- 2042 pts
There is a very fine line between "hobby" and "mental illness."
Dave Barry

Sredfield
City, State: Ahwatukee, AZ

Post by Sredfield » Sep 18 2014 4:59 pm

joe bartels wrote:The authority on accuracy is not Garmin nor a smartphone. I've hiked in a group with three Oregon 450s. We never had the same results. jj & I typically have very very near results with the Fenix. It's on your arm in great satellite view and we don't sit around. The best results out of any device is an unobstructed satellite view. If I have HAZ Tracks running it is in the top pocket on my pack near the outside. On one trip I placed it on my hip belt and got poor results.
Geeeze, this explains a lot. Tibber take note!
Shawn
The bear went over the mountain to see what he could see.

joebartels

Post by joebartels » Sep 19 2014 3:28 pm

@chumley + neilends there is one itty bitty piece that could confuse on iOS Airplane Mode.

When an app continuously records location it uses a native "watchPosition" function. When an app gets a single spot reference it uses another called "getcurrentPosition". The second "caches" the position. If called in Airplane Mode you could get a false sense that the gps is working.

This can be see in HAZ Tracks by going into the app
- Files > Nearby

Your position is now cached. Okay now turn Airplane Mode "On". Do the same
- Files > Nearby

You should get "no internet blah blah blah". HAZ Tracks first checks for internet and stops at that road block.

Can't guarantee this will work on your iPhone, it does on my tests...
- Files > Select any Route File ( previously loaded as you are off-line, one away from your location with off-line maps loaded preferred )

Now in the upper right click the green ( for current ) location circle icon. My map jumps to my current location since it is cached, no maps as we are offline and iOS does not cache maps like Android.

If you now move a fair distance and press it again it should go back to the cached spot. I haven't tested but am interested to know. I think it will kick you out of the map in 3 minutes though.
Hike Arizona it ROCKS!

FLYING_FLIVER
City, State: Fountain Hills, AZ

Post by FLYING_FLIVER » Sep 19 2014 4:28 pm

I have an iPhone 5s and am running IOS 7.1.2.
All was well until I (today, 19 Sep) connected my iPhone to my iMac and started up iTunes.
I had been running HAZ Tracks 1.8.2., and since HAZ Tracks 1.8.3 was available (as of 17 Sep), iTunes did an 'auto-update' to 1.8.3. The update went normal.

However, prior to the 1.8.3 update, I had 18 'files' (tracks), on HAZ Tracks with 9 tracks downloaded from Route Manager and 9 of my own tracks generated by HAZ Tracks.
All 18 tracks were perfectly readable and had all normal information attached to them prior to updating.
After the update to Ver 1.8.3 - All 18 tracks were still "listed" on my iPhone, but ALL data was gone. The actual 18 ground tracks were gone, as was all other info about each of the 18 tracks were gone.

I then downloaded (running v1.8.3 now) a few more tracks from Rte Mgr and all tracks were normal and readable. I then made a couple of my own tracks and that too worked normal, with all data in place.
My final conclusion is, the update to v1.8.3 somehow 'wiped-out' all stored track information, except the actual name(s) of the 18 files.

Am I on an island here, or has anyone else experienced this disappearance of track data?
Not All Those Who Wander Are Lost
J.R.R.TOLKIEN

joebartels

Post by joebartels » Sep 19 2014 4:49 pm

:sweat: <--- we need a bigger icon
While that didn't happen to me...
If anyone has not done the update already on iOS please export anything of importance to Route MGR prior to updating. Export after each hike for secure mind too.
Hike Arizona it ROCKS!

chumley

Post by chumley » Sep 19 2014 11:07 pm

The Eagle wrote:new iPhone 6's?
Have they changed the way crApple does the airplane mode?
Nope. The gps is still attached to the cellular radio. I will have to test the battery drain when out of service area and still on.
Highway to hell

chumley

Post by chumley » Sep 20 2014 12:26 am

As for the iOS updates, I don't know what dates what versions downloaded, but mine happen automatically when they are released. I have a 9-18 track that is fine. Tracks from 9-14 and earlier on my phone have no data anymore. No biggie as I'm just testing stuff right now, but I can confirm that FF isn't the only one who had this experience.

So yeah, export first :)
Highway to hell

joebartels

Post by joebartels » Sep 20 2014 4:55 am

Found the error I made. Whenever the app is rebuilt from the ground up on my end it wipes out the settings.

Heads up... the next HAZ Tracks iOS update will wipe extra storage too. If I don't make the change then Apple is free to wipe data at will. Sorry. It's on the special iOS rebuild checklist now!
Hike Arizona it ROCKS!

mdfabbrini
City, State: Mount Shasta, CA

Post by mdfabbrini » Sep 20 2014 5:09 pm

I updated to version 1.8.3 today on my iPhone 5S. Everything seems to work fine except I'm not getting any time/breaks info. I checked all the settings. Am I missing something?

I also noticed the battery discussion. I recently purchased a Mophie battery case to extend my hiking time. It sure beats turning off apps and changing settings.
et deinceps per nebula

joebartels

Post by joebartels » Sep 20 2014 7:16 pm

@mdfabbrini on new "recorded" tracks?
Hike Arizona it ROCKS!

mdfabbrini
City, State: Mount Shasta, CA

Post by mdfabbrini » Sep 20 2014 7:18 pm

@joe bartels Yes.
et deinceps per nebula

joebartels

Post by joebartels » Sep 20 2014 8:01 pm

Looking at your route it was not recording time, all points had Invalid date.

Just did a test on an iPhone 4 and got the same results, I'll have to look into it further.
thx for the heads up
Hike Arizona it ROCKS!

Return to “HAZ Apps”