Moderator: HAZ - Moderators

Linked Guides none
Linked Areas none
AZDane
City, State: Mesa

Route Scout - Import maps

Post by AZDane » Mar 17 2016 2:02 pm

First of all. Love the App!!!
Is there anyway to import the maps as well as the routes so they are stored on your device for offline use? Unless I'm doing something wrong, it seems you can only have one route/map going at a time and you have to have cell connection when you initially start using it. After that you can go offline, but can't switch.
Would be super useful if you could change the map/route combo without a cell connection.
I would for example like to have a second map downloaded containing all routes in the area and then just have my planned route on my primary map.
I wouldn't mind paying for an upgraded version of Route Scout like that. I think it is pretty awesome all the stuff you guys provide for free already.
Thank you for a great site and app.

chumley
City, State: Tempe, AZ

Re: Route Scout - Import maps

Post by chumley » Mar 17 2016 2:32 pm

@AZDane-

As I understand it, RS will only store one map for offline use (and you must be connected to the internet to load them initially).

It sounds like you do similar hikes to me and the way I get around it is to save multiple tracks in one route. In Route Manager on HAZ you can create any number of tracks. Save it and then load to RS ... the maps will load for all the tracks in that route, not just the primary track you will be hiking.

The catch is that you can only have a limited number of miles of tracks. I don't know what it is, but I think I recall it being 70 miles. Still better than just having a map for a single track though.
Profound observer

joebartels
City, State: Phoenix, AZ

Post by joebartels » Mar 17 2016 2:36 pm

For the time and resources available the app is currently at its limit on storage to work with various devices. I'd imagine it will change in the future but do not see that happening any time soon.

If you are in cell range you can always set a new route to follow which loads the maps.

If you plan ahead you can make a route with up to 400 miles. A "route" is a collection of tracks and waypoints. So for instance you could have twenty 20 mile hikes. You can do all of this on HAZ using "Route MGR", then save to "Route Cloud", then import on "Route Scout".

around 11:48 in this video mentions basics for Route Editor
[ youtube video ]

to make it really work you need to fully understand Route Editor, the tutorial is at [ youtube video ]
Hike Arizona it ROCKS!

AZDane

Post by AZDane » Mar 17 2016 3:55 pm

Thank you for the quick response. I understand, it would just be a nice option. Didn't realize storage would be that big of a deal on devices today.
Maybe an option to declutter instead would be a solution. Let's say you combine 10 routes in a file in RM. Then you could include a feature to deselect some of the routes in RS.

joebartels
City, State: Phoenix, AZ

Post by joebartels » Mar 17 2016 4:45 pm

The option to select a specific track in a route is on the todo list. Which will emphasize the track and keep the follow dialog on target.
Hike Arizona it ROCKS!

AZDane

Post by AZDane » Mar 17 2016 5:48 pm

Ok, thanks. Yes, I can see that being an issue if having multiple tracks. Please consider an option to hide the tracks not being followed when you get that far in the process.
Again, thank you for an awesome product.

Return to “HAZ Apps”