Linked Guide  • Haiku Stairs, HI
Linked Areas none
chumley
City, State: Tempe, AZ

Famous Haiku Stairs to be destroyed

Post by chumley »

In the name of safety. Of course.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/articl ... erous.html
Officials in Honolulu planning to destroy a popular hiking trail and Instagram-worthy site that draws thousands of visitors each year, arguing that it's too dangerous and its influx of visitors is a detriment to the local community.

The Honolulu City Council voted unanimously last Wednesday to remove the Haiku Stairs or 'Stairway to Heaven' and set aside $1million to get the job done. The next step is for Mayor Rick Blangardi to approve the city budget and finalize the move to destroy the site.

In a resolution on its agenda, the council says that it is 'urging the City Administration to remove the Haiku Stairs and its accessory structures to stop trespassing, reduce disturbances to local neighborhoods, increase public safety, remove potential liability to the City, and protect the environment.'
Despite the long-time access challenges, 3 hazzers managed to post from the hike over the years. May the NIMBYs live happily ever after.
33s over 45s
LosDosSloFolks
City, State: Cave Creek, AZ

Re: Famous Haiku Stairs to be destroyed

Post by LosDosSloFolks »

@chumley
I read that a previous Mayor spent $875,000.00 renovating sections for safe public access. Seems like money well spent prior to spending $1 millon to tear them down. Nepotism and/or cronyism at play? Not likely in State government [-( ...sarcasm intended.
It was me...I let the dogs out.
nonot
City, State: Phoenix, AZ

Post by nonot »

If you build it, they will come. When too many people come and behave badly, then you close it or restrict it. Surprised they didn't go with the restriction/permit option given the investment.
http://hikearizona.com/garmin_maps.php

Hike Arizona it is full of sharp, pointy, ankle-twisting, HAZmaster crushing ROCKS!!
Hike Arizona it is full of sharp, pointy, shin-stabbing, skin-shredding plants!
Hike Arizona it is full of striking, biting, stabbing, venomous wildlife!
rustyshackleford135
City, State: phoenix, az

Post by rustyshackleford135 »

Tyranny of the majority will never stop.
cactuscat

Post by cactuscat »

@rustyshackleford135
You mean like the tyranny that "gave" the Hawaiian Islands to the US to use as our playground?
Arguing with idiots is like playing chess with pigeons.
hikeaz

Post by hikeaz »

The last line seems straight from the gub'ment rhetoric book... When they close Squaw Peak & Camelback for good I conjecture we will see these words again.
"to stop trespassing, reduce disturbances to local neighborhoods, increase public safety, remove potential liability to the City, and protect the environment."
"The censorship method ... is that of handing the job over to some frail and erring mortal man, and making him omnipotent on the assumption that his official status will make him infallible and omniscient."
GEORGE BERNARD SHAW
rustyshackleford135
City, State: phoenix, az

Post by rustyshackleford135 »

cactuscat wrote: Sep 13 2021 12:22 pm @rustyshackleford135
You mean like the tyranny that "gave" the Hawaiian Islands to the US to use as our playground?
Unless you're giving away your home to an indian you have no room to talk.
Last edited by joebartels on Sep 13 2021 1:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Ripped out two words to keep from shattering the second guideline. By request, no more pins in the teva voodoo doll.
Jim_H
City, State: Marana, AZ

Post by Jim_H »

One of those most annoying things liberals enjoy doing is giving a sanctimonious performative virtue signal. It takes on religious significance to some.

It's a form of a power grab. In a warped world where being a victim is identified as being better than another, the next best thing is telling others how they victimize some group, or person.
Let's go Brandon!!!!! Let's go Brandon!!!!
cactuscat

Post by cactuscat »

@rustyshackleford135
Well we weren't talking about Native Americans - but you guys are good at changing the subject ... so, no - I am still living on stolen Native land. At least I acknowledge it. And I can list three non-profits that benefit Natives which I donate to regularly ... plus the hundreds of dollars worth of PPE and supplies I shipped to strangers in the Navajo Nation early in their Covid outbreak.
I would ask what you have done to help, but I bet I know the answer - plus I don't care. I'll add you to my "blocked" list so we can ignore each other. 🤙
sidhayes

Post by sidhayes »

@cactuscat
They are not native and it was not stolen.
Jim_H
City, State: Marana, AZ

Post by Jim_H »

@sidhayes
Do you also find it amusing that the mentioned tribe, the " Navajo", have more land today than they had in the 19th Century before Anglos entered the region, that they took land from other "natives" like the Hopi, Utes, and Zuni, and raided the northern New Mexico Puebloans, but somehow didn't manage to "steal" any land? This is despite their originating in northwestern Canada and being no more native to the 4 corners region than a taco. Same for the Apaches, though less so in some ways.
Let's go Brandon!!!!! Let's go Brandon!!!!
cactuscat

Post by cactuscat »

@sidhayes
You're Qrazy. Bye.
chumley

Post by chumley »

How is it that Arizona's own staircase gem has received so little love on HAZ when it's so insanely overpopular on the instaticbook? :-k
Attachments
victory.jpg
33s over 45s
LosDosSloFolks
City, State: Cave Creek, AZ

Post by LosDosSloFolks »

It was me...I let the dogs out.
Alston_Neal
City, State: Phoenix, AZ

Post by Alston_Neal »

sidhayes wrote:They are not native and it was not stolen.
I missed some connection here. Who are not native, Hawaii, Norteamérica?
Semifunctional adult

Our humble abode..
http://www.oldterritorialshop.com

Return to “Trail Chat”