Cycling to Mountain Biking

Moderator: HAZ - Moderators

Linked Guides none
Linked Areas none
Nighthiker
City, State: Payson

27.5" tire size bikes

Post by Nighthiker »

Giant has introduced a new line of mtn. bikes with 27.5" sized tires. I have limited saddle time on them and would like to spend some time in terrain riding them. I currently ride a 26" tired hard tail and spent time on a 29" tire sized mtn. bike at Dead Horse earlier this year. I found the 29 a little awkward, missed a few turns around Lagoon #2 riled up the ducks and scared the hell out of a slumbering fisherman.

Would like to add a second hard tail to my fleet trying to decide on a 27.5 or 29. Anyone have time aboard these bikes and reviews ?
jk
azbackpackr
City, State: Flagstaff AZ

Re: 27.5" tire size bikes

Post by azbackpackr »

My understanding is that the designers had a hard time coming up with a frame to fit someone as short as I am, for the 29er. You'd smack your toes on the front tires every time you turned the wheel. I can do that on my bike with 26" wheels, without trying very hard! So, no, haven't tried any bigger-wheeled rides. My Specialized is a women's small but several people have told me I should have tried to get an extra-small, if they even make that size. Don't ask me about frame size in terms of numbers. I don't remember numbers.
There is a point of no return unremarked at the time in most lives. Graham Greene The Comedians
A clean house is a sign of a misspent life.
Nighthiker
City, State: Payson

Post by Nighthiker »

Added a Giant Talon 1 hardtail to the fleet recently and set it up for bike camping. Enjoyed riding the bike with the 27.5 tires.
jk
azbackpackr
City, State: Flagstaff AZ

Post by azbackpackr »

I keep talking about bike camping but not doing it. I'm too busy with kayaking. I see that Thule has new racks which will work for full suspension mountain bikes. Better than my Topeak seat post rack, I think, because a seat post rack has a tendency to twist off to the side. I am interested in riding around on the miles of dirt roads in Northern Arizona. Not too interested in single track these days, unless it's easy.
There is a point of no return unremarked at the time in most lives. Graham Greene The Comedians
A clean house is a sign of a misspent life.
desert_boonie
City, State: Peoria, AZ

Post by desert_boonie »

Not sure how much you are looking to spend, but if you go the 27.5 route you should look into the models Cannondale offers. The Jekyll and Trigger models are pretty amazing bikes with great handling and comfort with good component setup out of the box.
"Never Satisfied"
te_wa
City, State: Mesa

Post by te_wa »

after i tear up this BMC trailfox 26er, ill prolly get a santa cruz 5010 carbon 650b. or maybe an Ibis.
squirrel!
rustyshackleford135
City, State: phoenix, az

Post by rustyshackleford135 »

Going to bump this old topic and try to revive the bike forum. :D

I've got a trek roscoe 7 and love the big 27.5" tires. Going to set them up for tubeless soon (came tubeless ready)
ALMAL
City, State: GILBERT

Post by ALMAL »

@rustyshackleford135
Nice! You can take your bike to the LBS, or go with 1" gorilla tape, 2 laps, and buy good valve set on Amazon. Although your rims are "TR" maybe the tires are not, at least something to check. New tires are no problem, love Maxxis or WTB.
You aren't late if you don't show up!
rustyshackleford135

ALMAL wrote: Sep 15 2021 7:45 pm @rustyshackleford135
Nice! You can take your bike to the LBS, or go with 1" gorilla tape, 2 laps, and buy good valve set on Amazon. Although your rims are "TR" maybe the tires are not, at least something to check. New tires are no problem, love Maxxis or WTB.
The tires are rimless ready maxxis. I just have to get some stems and sealant. :y:
ALMAL
City, State: GILBERT

Post by ALMAL »

@rustyshackleford135
Rimless tires? Send me a pic of those...
You aren't late if you don't show up!
rustyshackleford135

ALMAL wrote: Sep 18 2021 7:48 am @rustyshackleford135
Rimless tires? Send me a pic of those...
Damn, I wasn't supposed to mention my secret bike technology ...

Tubeless ready lol whoops :y:
te_wa
City, State: Mesa

Post by te_wa »

Rusty, swing by sometime and i'll get you dialed in with your new presta valves and rim tape. i've prolly installed at least 15 tires over the past 18 months..
my take on 27.5" is they are easy to launch straight off the line, feel more playful on a trail, and it's now in fashion to run a "mullet" setup - 29er up front, 27.5 in the rear.
my Ranger is 29, my SB115 is 29, and my Shred Dogg is 27.5 - noticeable difference in wheel size handling, despite being completely different geo's there is a lot to be said about tire size.
squirrel!

Return to “Bike”