Moderator: HAZ - Moderators

Linked Guides none
Linked Areas none
hikeaz
City, State: Tempe, AZ

I-17

Post by hikeaz »

Short closures on I-17 today
Drivers north of Phoenix will face brief freeway closures Tuesday that will allow a road crew to clear away rocks.

The Arizona Department of Transportation announced Interstate 17 North near Black Canyon City would be blocked off around 10:30 a.m. for about 15 minutes, maybe less. More work would be done at the same site around 1 p.m., lasting 15 min. +/- as well.

Southbound lanes near Sunset Point would follow suit at noon. That closure was expected to last an hour.
Last edited by joebartels on Feb 20 2018 9:15 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: subject of topic in "Road Conditions" should be the road moving forward not a new topic for every announcement
"The censorship method ... is that of handing the job over to some frail and erring mortal man, and making him omnipotent on the assumption that his official status will make him infallible and omniscient."
GEORGE BERNARD SHAW
nonot
City, State: Phoenix, AZ

Re: I-17

Post by nonot »

No matter how many lanes you have, if people insist on driving 55 in a 75 zone and refuse to yield their lane, it won't help the traffic..
http://hikearizona.com/garmin_maps.php

Hike Arizona it is full of sharp, pointy, ankle-twisting, HAZmaster crushing ROCKS!!
Hike Arizona it is full of sharp, pointy, shin-stabbing, skin-shredding plants!
Hike Arizona it is full of striking, biting, stabbing, venomous wildlife!
Jim_H
City, State: Marana, AZ

Post by Jim_H »

WoW! About 20 to 30 years late, but it might see traffic by 2035, so that is great news!
Let's go Brandon!!!!! Let's go Brandon!!!!
chumley

Post by chumley »

joebartels wrote:project anticipated to begin in 2022
It was previously anticipated to begin in 2021, completing in 2023. :lol:
Regardless, even after reading all the literature, I fail to understand how the flex lane option was deemed to be the best of the alternatives for reducing congestion and increasing safety in this corridor. I guess time will tell.
33s over 45s
tdwood

Post by tdwood »

chumley wrote:I fail to understand how the flex lane option was deemed to be the best of the alternatives for reducing congestion and increasing safety in this corridor.
I wonder what other options were seriously considered? This feels like a half-assed compromise solution driven by budgetary considerations. I can understand that the costs of engineering over those geographic challenges aren't going to come cheap but anything short of two additional dedicated lanes EACH direction seems terribly shortsighted. Furthermore, it doesn't appear to address the situation between Sunset Point and Cordes Junction. What happens when four lanes of northbound traffic get reduced to two? At minimum, it seems this plan should also include a third lane in both directions between SP and CJ.
rustyshackleford135
City, State: phoenix, az

Post by rustyshackleford135 »

As bad as it sounds, the traffic might limit how many people are going up to flagstaff and the surrounding area. Making it easier and quicker will only add more people. How crowded will flag and coconino be after people realize they don't have to sit in traffic anymore?
chumley

Post by chumley »

@rustyshackleford135
There's probably a breaking point somewhere (and that point isn't the same for everybody) but I think that there are examples of other congested routes in America that lead away from population centers that are far more congested than I-17 and people still choose to sit in traffic for hours to get to their preferred destination.

But who knows. Maybe ADOT realizes that our population will stagnate and nosedive as soon as we start running out of water and there won't really be a need for increased capacity anymore after all.
33s over 45s
RedRoxx44
City, State: outside, anywhere

Post by RedRoxx44 »

!-17 cluster is nothing compared to the Vegas to LA commute on a Sun evening or the LA to San Diego commute.
SuperstitionGuy
City, State: Queen Creek, Arizona

Post by SuperstitionGuy »

Why don't we just wait for AOC's train to take up the slack then all our problems will be solved. ](*,)
Just ask her and it will be done. :sl:
A man's body may grow old, but inside his spirit can still be as young and restless as ever.
- Garth McCann from the movie Second Hand Lions

Another victim of Pixel Trivia.

Current avatar courtesy of Snakemarks
chumley

Post by chumley »

@SuperstitionGuy
Is I-17 in Queens and the Bronx?
No. It is not.
33s over 45s
big_load
City, State: Andover, NJ

Post by big_load »

chumley wrote:There's probably a breaking point somewhere (and that point isn't the same for everybody) but I think that there are examples of other congested routes in America that lead away from population centers that are far more congested than I-17 and people still choose to sit in traffic for hours to get to their preferred destination.
Unfortunately so. I-70 in Denver is a good example. For me, I-17 is a moderate annoyance, not even on par with my commute on I-80 or Rt. 10 in NJ, or any major road in the DC area.
azbackpackr
City, State: Flagstaff AZ

Post by azbackpackr »

@big_load
Hey, you callin' us lightweights? 😄😉
There is a point of no return unremarked at the time in most lives. Graham Greene The Comedians
A clean house is a sign of a misspent life.
big_load

Post by big_load »

@azbackpackr

I guess it's all relative, but yeah, pretty much. Heading toward Denver on Friday a couple weeks ago, traffic in the opposite direction was bumper-to-bumper for over 70 miles.
azbackpackr

Post by azbackpackr »

@big_load
I've heard about that. I was in Buena Vista just before Memorial Day, and managed to escape west just in time to avoid the rush.
There is a point of no return unremarked at the time in most lives. Graham Greene The Comedians
big_load

Post by big_load »

azbackpackr wrote: Sep 27 2021 6:27 pm @big_load
I've heard about that. I was in Buena Vista just before Memorial Day, and managed to escape west just in time to avoid the rush.
In CO, I'm usually willing to go very far out of my on back roads and I avoid the worst travel times, so almost never get caught in that myself. Buena Vista has access to some good escape options.

Were you rafting? I was in Salida for a few days and traveled as far downriver as Cotopaxi and north up to Leadville. I've never seen it so low. You could easily wade across the river at the park in Salida a couple weeks ago.
azbackpackr

Post by azbackpackr »

@big_load
No, I went there for a WFR recert. One of the best instructors in the field, Darren "Daz" Stokes. As for fun, I paddled in a lake, rode my bike through the railroad tunnels, and did a very short hike.
Alston_Neal

Post by Alston_Neal »

Our personal best on I-17. After hiking by Stoneman Lake and then to our home at Greenway and the 51........8 hours!!!!
Semifunctional adult

Our humble abode..
http://www.oldterritorialshop.com
big_load

Post by big_load »

Alston_Neal wrote: Sep 28 2021 1:57 pm Our personal best on I-17. After hiking by Stoneman Lake and then to our home at Greenway and the 51........8 hours!!!!
That is pretty bad. It's like what happens here when it snows.

Return to “Road Conditions”