Lookin’ back on the track, gonna do it my way, Lookin’ back.... ahhhhhhhh
outdoor_lover
Guides: 7 | Official Routes: 4
Triplogs Last: 60 days ago | RS: 2
Water Reports 1Y: 0 | Last: 643 days ago
City, State: Scottsdale, AZ

Re: The Free Climb King

Post by outdoor_lover »

So my dumb question is: When you free solo like that and you're alone and you don't at least carry any rope with you, do these guys really down climb to get back down????
Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty & well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, totally worn out & proclaiming, "Wow What a Ride!"
xsproutx
Triplogs Last: 34 days ago | RS: 0
Water Reports 1Y: 45 | Last: 17 days ago
City, State: Phoenix, AZ

Post by xsproutx »

@outdoor_lover
I can't speak to the extreme type of stuff like this video, but my experience with my normal-people stuff is either yes or, more frequently, there will be another person/team that climbed traditionally up top with ropes that they can then use to come on down.
RedRoxx44
Guides: 5 | Official Routes: 0
Triplogs Last: 4 days ago | RS: 0
Water Reports 1Y: 0 | Last: 5,226 days ago
City, State: outside, anywhere

Post by RedRoxx44 »

I know when he got ready to free solo in Yosemite; great you tube video on what it took to make that movie btw; it is usually climbed several times with ropes to confirm the route. I imagine to get camera angles too.
Then when he is ready its' done. I would assume the gear for the rap down is left at the top out of range of the camera.

The movie "Free Solo" won some sort of Oscar. Really incredible climbing of El Cap and incredible filming too.
nonot
Guides: 103 | Official Routes: 109
Triplogs Last: 11 days ago | RS: 0
Water Reports 1Y: 51 | Last: 11 days ago

Post by nonot »

outdoor_lover wrote: May 16 2022 11:23 am So my dumb question is: When you free solo like that and you're alone and you don't at least carry any rope with you, do these guys really down climb to get back down????
In this case he probably rapped down with the film crew's gear. In many cases you can just walk back to your starting point after completing the climb, like with Half Dome. In some cases you might downclimb, possibly on an even easier route than you climbed up. He actually also has a parachute backpack that if he needs to he can jump off the wall and deploy the chute and glide back home, though he wasn't wearing it for this video. Not that there are all that many free solo climbers out there...
http://hikearizona.com/garmin_maps.php

Hike Arizona it is full of sharp, pointy, ankle-twisting, HAZmaster crushing ROCKS!!
Hike Arizona it is full of sharp, pointy, shin-stabbing, skin-shredding plants!
Hike Arizona it is full of striking, biting, stabbing, venomous wildlife!
xsproutx
Triplogs Last: 34 days ago | RS: 0
Water Reports 1Y: 45 | Last: 17 days ago

Post by xsproutx »

nonot wrote: Not that there are all that many free solo climbers out there...
The one part you can almost guarantee at the end of any docu following a free climber is on screen text at the end saying something along the lines of, "2 months after shooting, xx died climbing xx."
toddak
Guides: 8 | Official Routes: 1
Triplogs Last: 11 days ago | RS: 0
Water Reports 1Y: 0 | Last: 425 days ago
City, State: Jackson, CA

Post by toddak »

I can't think of any other athlete who is so clearly in a class by himself and by such a huge margin. Alex's free solo resume is astounding and his ascent of El Cap is incomprehensible. A lot of deceased free soloist seem to have some sketchy underlying personality issues (Dan Osman, Dean Potter), but Alex prepares so methodically and appears to have a personality and mind that can stay perfectly calm, focused and in absolute control for incredibly long stretches of time where the tiniest error means death. A critical piece of the rock could still break off and end it all, but otherwise he seems to have virtually eliminated all other risks.
LosDosSloFolks
Triplogs Last: 1 days ago | RS: 14
Water Reports 1Y: 29 | Last: 17 days ago
City, State: Cave Creek, AZ

Post by LosDosSloFolks »

@toddak
After watching the movie one can't help but notice that he is wired quite differently than most. His social interactions and behavior towards others, most notably his girlfriend, parallel people I've known that were high functioning autistics. I'm not making a diognosis, just a layman's observation. His achievements in the climbing world are truly amazing, and I doubt there will be another athlete like him for quite some time.
The Institute Of Unfinished Research has concluded that 6 out of 10 people
RedRoxx44
Guides: 5 | Official Routes: 0
Triplogs Last: 4 days ago | RS: 0
Water Reports 1Y: 0 | Last: 5,226 days ago
City, State: outside, anywhere

Post by RedRoxx44 »

Watched part of JR's podcast with Alex covering a trip he was on with Nat Geo in Guyana with some biologists' studying frogs and he got to climb there ( apparently the frogs on top of some fairly inaccessible plateau). He was very animated yet relaxed vs one clip I saw of a public speaking engagement where you could tell he wanted to be somewhere else.
sneakySASQUATCH
Guides: 4 | Official Routes: 6
Triplogs Last: 2 days ago | RS: 2
Water Reports 1Y: 0 | Last: 1,100 days ago
City, State: Pike National Forest, Co

Post by sneakySASQUATCH »

@RedRoxx44
The last Tepui is a worthwhile watch. Pretty interesting and a different element altogether. Most of the documentary is the jungle travel slogging just to get to the Tepui and dragging an 80 year old biologist for the ride.
:o

Return to “Climbing”