Moderator: HAZ - Moderators

Linked Area, etc none
molliskie
Triplogs Last: 186 days ago | RS: 0
Water Reports 1Y: 4 | Last: 186 days ago
City, State: Tucson, AZ

FR 42D - Chiricahuas - Road to Rustler Park

Post by molliskie »

NOTICE: Due to the heavy rains, Rustler Park is closed to vehicular traffic due to mudslides and down trees until further notice. Parking at the trailhead and walk-in camping is allowed.
Road crews are on their way to restore the road. In the meantime, there is a temporary closure.

-The gate to Rustler Park is closed - road is too muddy and culvert causing trucks to get stuck. Multiple trees down and mudslides across the roads happening daily.
I work for the Forest Service and was up there on Tuesday, Aug 23, 2022, doing inspections on the cabins and the road crew was working on it but I'm sure more trees have happened since. We came up from the West side by the Monument, so I'm not sure what the condition of the road is coming from Portal.

Just be cautious if camping with a vehicle up there - you may get stuck behind a fallen tree like some campers we heard about.
Last edited by molliskie on Aug 30 2022 6:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
xsproutx
Triplogs Last: 44 days ago | RS: 0
Water Reports 1Y: 40 | Last: today
City, State: Phoenix, AZ

Re: FR 42D - Chiricahuas - Road to Rustler Park

Post by xsproutx »

@molliskie Is 42 itself in decent condition from what you saw or is it pretty bad as well? Headed up there in a couple of days and was planning on using that one to get from the monument to herb martyr.
molliskie
Triplogs Last: 186 days ago | RS: 0
Water Reports 1Y: 4 | Last: 186 days ago
City, State: Tucson, AZ

Re: FR 42D - Chiricahuas - Road to Rustler Park

Post by molliskie »

@xsproutx
The main road should be okay, all the way from the Monument to Cave Creek/Portal :) It's only slightly rougher than normal, but really not bad. Just watch for water crossings, per usual.
The only part of the road that is closed is the offshoot that goes into Rustler Park that is needing maintenance/might still be closed. Sorry, I should have made that more clear!

Return to “Road Conditions”