Linked Area, etc none
outdoor_lover
Guides: 7 | Official Routes: 4
Triplogs Last: 174 days ago | RS: 2
Water Reports 1Y: 0 | Last: 757 days ago
City, State: Scottsdale, AZ

New Year's Day

Post by outdoor_lover »

Just in case anyone is wondering, I'm still on the fence about hosting the Annual New Year's Day Peak Bag. I have yet to do a Peak, even a small one, but hope to get one in this week to see how it goes. I'm not worried about the "up". Just about the "down". Just going down a steep driveway at a friend's house, while not painful anymore, it's still uncomfortable. Not sure if I'll be able to sustain that for a mile, :sweat: I promise to make a decision by the end of next week just before Christmas. I'm going to try Lone Peak over by the Salt River and see how it goes.
Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty & well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, totally worn out & proclaiming, "Wow What a Ride!"
big_load
Guides: 0 | Official Routes: 1
Triplogs Last: 304 days ago | RS: 2
Water Reports 1Y: 0 | Last: 1,531 days ago
City, State: Andover, NJ

Re: New Year's Day

Post by big_load »

I hope you make progress whatever you decide. It looks like another local New Year for me, hopefully the last one for a while.
SuperstitionGuy
Triplogs Last: 644 days ago | RS: 0
Water Reports 1Y: 0 | Last: never
City, State: Queen Creek, Arizona

Post by SuperstitionGuy »

:yr: Let me know when your going and I will do it with you.
A man's body may grow old, but inside his spirit can still be as young and restless as ever.
- Garth McCann from the movie Second Hand Lions

Another victim of Pixel Trivia.

Current avatar courtesy of Snakemarks
KwaiChang
Triplogs Last: 2,684 days ago | RS: 0
Water Reports 1Y: 0 | Last: never
City, State: Bradenton, FL

Post by KwaiChang »

@big_load

Agree - would LOVE to get this whole thing behind us......only one way to do it. Herd immunity will kill the variants.
Out of all the things I've lost I miss my mind the most.....
outdoor_lover

Post by outdoor_lover »

I've made the tough decision to not host the New Year's Day Peak Bag this year. As much as the mind is willing, the knees just are not ready yet. I'm probably heading into 2022 with the probability that the other knee will need to be replaced as well. It really has not liked the extra load that has been placed on it the last few months. It's been giving me fits the last month. While I'm able to do a small hill, the larger peak just isn't in the cards right now. i hope to reinstate the tradition when we ring in 2023. I'm sorry for the late notice, but I had really made it a goal to be ready for this year. But it's just not going to be doable. I wish all of you a wonderful holiday season and a bright new year. Happy Trails you all. For now, I need to stick to rolling hills.
Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty & well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, totally worn out & proclaiming, "Wow What a Ride!"
chumley
Guides: 84 | Official Routes: 204
Triplogs Last: 21 days ago | RS: 40
Water Reports 1Y: 9 | Last: 147 days ago
City, State: Tempe, AZ

Post by chumley »

@outdoor_lover Keep up the progress, and you’ll be out on the trails before you know it. Don’t let an overhyped date on the calendar dictate your schedule. The peaks aren’t going anywhere! Subaru-powering vibes sent your way! :)
two scoops!
tibber
Guides: 21 | Official Routes: 51
Triplogs Last: 2 days ago | RS: 354
Water Reports 1Y: 2 | Last: 192 days ago
City, State: Phoenix, AZ

Post by tibber »

Oh I will miss all the goodies, something to look forward to, but I certainly understand it is better to not take chances. I hope you continue to heal and get a few more little hikes in before doing the other knee. FYI - there's nothing wrong with rolling hill hikes :) . Take Care Pam!
Last edited by tibber on Dec 22 2021 5:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
For me, sometimes it's just as much about the journey as the destination.
Oh, and once in awhile, don't forget to look back at the trail you've traveled.
big_load

Post by big_load »

I hope you're feeling better when next year rolls around.
outdoor_lover

Post by outdoor_lover »

@chumley Thank You. I just need to get off the sidewalks and canal banks and get on a lot more uneven ground. Even though I'm doing a lot of balance work and ankle work in PT, just doing Brown Hill made both ankles and feet pretty sore. As much as I'd like to drive somewhere cool and get some scenery, I'm probably going to have to resort to Papago. The Home Life has been insane lately. I'm also still a bit worried about slipping or tripping. I tripped on a dog bed about a month ago and although I didn't go down, the wild gyrations of not going down, hurt. I'll get there, I'm just losing patience, it's been a long time.
@tibber Thank You Angela. Yeah, I'll miss the celebration for sure and that nice sugar high, high on a mountain! Next year!
@big_load Thank You Alex! Don't be a stranger when you're in town!
Nightstalker
Guides: 0 | Official Routes: 5
Triplogs Last: 3 days ago | RS: 24
Water Reports 1Y: 0 | Last: 924 days ago
City, State: Goodyear, AZ

Post by Nightstalker »

So sorry to hear about your knee. Your recovery will make the 2023 peak bag all that much better!
outdoor_lover

Post by outdoor_lover »

Hi! It's me again. Regretfully informing you all that I will not be hosting a New Year's Peak Bag party on Jan 1st, 2023. My left knee got replaced on October 11 and I doubt I'll even be on a trail yet by then. The surgery was originally scheduled for July, but had to be postponed due to several issues. My surgeon informed me that this one would take longer to heal and rehab and boy, Howdy, he was right. 30 years ago I had an ACL reconstruction on this knee, so in addition to the replacement, the surgeon had to remove one of the screws. So now, in addition to healing the wreckage of the replacement, I have a hole in my tibia that also has to heal. Oh joy. At 7 weeks post surgery, I haven't even lost my limp or regained my previous stride. Still a ton of work to do yet before I can hit the trails again. I'll be jealously thinking about you all this holiday season and have a great New Years. Cheers!
trekkin_gecko
Guides: 10 | Official Routes: 44
Triplogs Last: 2 days ago | RS: 50
Water Reports 1Y: 0 | Last: 516 days ago
City, State: phoenix, az

Post by trekkin_gecko »

good luck on your recovery, pam
hazhole
big_load

Post by big_load »

outdoor_lover wrote:My left knee got replaced on October 11
I hope your recovery goes well. You stuck it out for quite a while on bad knees, so I'm glad you're getting a fresh start. You probably have a lot of bad adaptations to unlearn.
azbackpackr
Guides: 27 | Official Routes: 22
Triplogs Last: 32 days ago | RS: 0
Water Reports 1Y: 3 | Last: 267 days ago
City, State: Needles CA

Post by azbackpackr »

@outdoor_lover
Best outcomes for your recovery!!!! Hang in there!
There is a point of no return unremarked at the time in most lives. Graham Greene The Comedians
A clean house is a sign of a misspent life.
outdoor_lover

Post by outdoor_lover »

@trekkin_gecko @big_load @azbackpackr
Thanks everyone! I'll be plowing thru it. Just missed 5 PT sessions due to a really nasty chest cold, but back at it again now today. Thankfully somehow, I lost very little progress.
Nightstalker
Guides: 0 | Official Routes: 5
Triplogs Last: 3 days ago | RS: 24
Water Reports 1Y: 0 | Last: 924 days ago
City, State: Goodyear, AZ

Post by Nightstalker »

@outdoor_lover
OMG Pam! I hope your 2023 goes much better. Please take care!

Return to “Trail Chat”