Linked Guides none
 Linked Area, etc none
wonderwoman78
Triplogs Last: none | RS: 0
Water Reports 1Y: 0 | Last: never
City, State: Phoenix, AZ

April 2 night backpacking from Phoenix

Post by wonderwoman78 »

Hi everyone, back again to get your suggestions :) I am taking a group of 8 on a two night backpacking trip in towards the end of April. I was going to try to get Aravaipa permits but I forgot and all the permits are gone for the dates we need. Our group has done the Grand Canyon.

I would love to explore Reavis Ranch but it seems it's difficult to get to now. Is that right?

I was also looking at Bluff Spring Trail and Dutchman Canyon to Charlebois Canyon. Would there much water or "green" on this hike?

I would love to go somewhere greener and with water. Any suggestions? Also we would need to be able to get to the trailhead using regular SUVs.

Oh, and hopefully not too cold at night...not below 40 degrees.

Thank you!!!
azbackpackr
Guides: 27 | Official Routes: 22
Triplogs Last: 32 days ago | RS: 0
Water Reports 1Y: 3 | Last: 266 days ago
City, State: Needles CA

Re: April 2 night backpacking from Phoenix

Post by azbackpackr »

Just remember it can be 100° at the end of April. You don't know what the temperature is going to be, so if you plan a trip to Charlebois spring, then have a plan B at at a slightly higher elevation.
There is a point of no return unremarked at the time in most lives. Graham Greene The Comedians
A clean house is a sign of a misspent life.
wonderwoman78
Triplogs Last: none | RS: 0

Post by wonderwoman78 »

that's a great reminder. my actual first choice is Cabin Loop but I thought it might be too cold. but do you think it might be warm enough?
nonot
Guides: 103 | Official Routes: 109
Triplogs Last: 125 days ago | RS: 0
Water Reports 1Y: 48 | Last: 124 days ago

Post by nonot »

April is a crapshoot. At Reavis Ranch, I would expect it do dip below 40 degrees at night. Whether than means there's snow on the ground in the teens, or if it just hits 39 degrees, will depend on the weather. It is best to have at least two plans (low elevation, high elevation) for backpacking trips in April, if you are seeking to avoid cold temps.
http://hikearizona.com/garmin_maps.php

Hike Arizona it is full of sharp, pointy, ankle-twisting, HAZmaster crushing ROCKS!!
Hike Arizona it is full of sharp, pointy, shin-stabbing, skin-shredding plants!
Hike Arizona it is full of striking, biting, stabbing, venomous wildlife!
SuperstitionGuy
Triplogs Last: 644 days ago | RS: 0
City, State: Queen Creek, Arizona

Post by SuperstitionGuy »

I agree with nonot, plan for a good weather and/or a bad weather backpack trip.

Reavis Ranch will have apple blossoms in mid April and it is a great time to go up to visit the area.

However if the weather is cold and wet, go to a lower location in the Superstitions or some other area in Arizona.
A man's body may grow old, but inside his spirit can still be as young and restless as ever.
- Garth McCann from the movie Second Hand Lions

Another victim of Pixel Trivia.

Current avatar courtesy of Snakemarks
Nobody01
Triplogs Last: 111 days ago | RS: 2
Water Reports 1Y: 54 | Last: 13 days ago

Post by Nobody01 »

I think your idea to do the supes in April is a bit too warm but if you're okay with that, Supes will be fine. If you want to be in the pines the end of April is a good time to hike the highline. Could get into the 30s below the escarpment but I did this last year at the end of April and it was in the 40s each night out there. If you just have three days and two nights to spare, a good shuttle would be 260 trailhead to Hatchery trailhead.
azbackpackr

Post by azbackpackr »

@wonderwoman78
Cabin Loop is too high in elevation, whereas the Highline trail that someone suggested might be just on the edge of doable. I doubt the roads into Cabin Loop will even be open in April.
There is a point of no return unremarked at the time in most lives. Graham Greene The Comedians
ALMAL
Triplogs Last: 117 days ago | RS: 0
Water Reports 1Y: 0 | Last: 755 days ago
City, State: GILBERT

Post by ALMAL »

West Clear Creek #17, starting at Bull Pen is prime at that time of year. Warm days nice nights in April. You can hike upstream following the creek, crossing multiple times will feel refreshing. Maiden Falls is a solid destination for a two night trip. You can loop back on Blodgett Basin trail, but the creek is so awesome you'll want to see it a second time.
You aren't late if you don't show up!
xsproutx
Triplogs Last: 22 days ago | RS: 0
Water Reports 1Y: 43 | Last: 19 days ago

Post by xsproutx »

Agree with comments above mostly. End of April, Cabin loop roads will be open almost certainly (usually open the first week of april or so). It'll likely be mid-30s overnight, though but, as mentioned above, that time in April can be really weird in both the low and high country
rcorfman
Guides: 1 | Official Routes: 3
Triplogs Last: 3 days ago | RS: 0
Water Reports 1Y: 4 | Last: 348 days ago

Post by rcorfman »

wonderwoman78 wrote: Jan 21 2023 10:15 pm I would love to explore Reavis Ranch but it seems it's difficult to get to now. Is that right?
I know they opened the road to the trailhead off of the Apache Trail last fall, so that option is available now. You just need to go the long way around from Roosevelt Lake. You can also get there from the Rogers Trough trailhead. Who knows what the road conditions will be like to either trailhead when you're planning to go?
Go find a LonelyCache
xsproutx
Triplogs Last: 22 days ago | RS: 0
Water Reports 1Y: 43 | Last: 19 days ago

Post by xsproutx »

@rcorfman
Good mention on the northern trailhead. Takes longer to get to but the road is pretty short so even if you can't make it the whole way due to conditions, you'd probably only add a mile or so to your hike
azbackpackr

Post by azbackpackr »

@xsproutx
Yeah, duh, I forgot! I was actually there last April, car camping. It snowed on us!

Return to “Looking for a Hike”