Moderator: HAZ - Moderators

Linked Descriptions none
Linked Areas none
ddgrunning
Exploring Kokopelli
City, State: Gilbert, AZ

Tonto Forest Fire Restrictions--Vehicular Traffic

Post by ddgrunning » May 17 2018 7:34 am

The current fire restrictions for Tonto NF contain an exemption for "Motor vehicles, with appropriate spark arresting devices, operated on roads and motorized trails." Does this mean that a car has to have some special, non-standard device on it in order to travel on FS roads in the Tonto forest? https://www.fs.usda.gov/Internet/FSE_DO ... 576936.pdf

I've had a few people tell me that they believe the FS roads in Tonto are closed to vehicular traffic.

Is there a fire restriction level that does include closing FS roads to all vehicle traffic?
Last edited by ddgrunning on May 17 2018 7:40 am, edited 3 times in total.

CannondaleKid
Soap Box Kopelli
City, State: Mesa, AZ

Re: Tonto Forest Fire Restrictions--Vehicular Traffic

Post by CannondaleKid » May 17 2018 9:39 am

@ddgrunning
I believe the reference to 'spark-arresting' devices came about due mainly to ATV's & dirt-bikes, many of which had practically nothing for a muffler, and thus the possibility for sparks to exit the exhaust system.

When it comes to road-legal cars & trucks of today, it's really NOT an issue. Computerized engine controls have practically done away with back-fires. In the event a spark where to leave the engine, it wouldn't have a chance making it first through a catalytic converter (two, on some vehicles) as well as a muffler.

However it's good to note the phrase "operated on roads and motorized trails or parked in areas devoid of vegetation are exempted" which of course it due to the high temperatures given off by catalytic converters. Basically, be mindful where you park.
CannondaleKid

chumley
Norwegian Kokopelli
City, State: Tempe, AZ

Post by chumley » May 17 2018 9:50 am

@ddgrunning
No operating ... equipment operated by an internal combustion engine between the hours of 9 a.m. to 8 p.m. 36 CFR 261.52(j). Motor vehicles, with appropriate spark arresting devices, operated on roads and motorized trails or parked in areas devoid of vegetation are exempted ...
So the restriction prohibits daytime use of equipment with an engine. Motor vehicles are exempt unless they make sparks, which no modern car or truck does. But, driving over grass or off-road in a vehicle is prohibited.

Tonto's roads are not currently closed.

Tonto has only 2 stages of fire restrictions. The next level is forest closure, which completely prohibits access to forest land regardless of method of travel, by foot, horseback, bicycle, motor vehicle, etc.

I anticipate there will be forest closures before the monsoon hits if we don't get any further moisture. In the past, Tonto has closed the areas near Pine and Strawberry and below the Mogollon Rim near Payson as a first step. When the forest is closed, my experience is that they have been very good at posting barricades indicating the closure on all the roads that lead into the forest.
Ja vi elsker dette landet

no avatar
TannerF
Exploring Kokopelli
City, State: Aliso Viejo, ca

Post by TannerF » May 17 2018 2:42 pm

Hi All,
I’m making a trip out to the area this Saturday the 19th and was wondering if anyone was down for a good hike to go check out the cliff dwellings in the Tonto Area. I have a Ford Escape with 4wd and am looking for a hiking partner who knows the area and any restrictions due to the fires. Thanks a million! I’m 34 male and love history!

cactuscat
Zion Dreamer
City, State: Safford

Post by cactuscat » May 17 2018 3:05 pm

chumley wrote:In the past, Tonto has closed the areas near Pine and Strawberry and below the Mogollon Rim near Payson as a first step.
Yep, and I'm just hoping they don't close by next week when I go!
:pray:
Where is the "dislike" button?

Grasshopper
Detailapelli
City, State: Scottsdale, AZ

Post by Grasshopper » May 17 2018 3:26 pm

TannerF wrote:
May 17 2018 2:42 pm
Hi All,
I’m making a trip out to the area this Saturday the 19th and was wondering if anyone was down for a good hike to go check out the cliff dwellings in the Tonto Area. I have a Ford Escape with 4wd and am looking for a hiking partner who knows the area and any restrictions due to the fires. Thanks a million! I’m 34 male and love history!
TannerF- :welcome: Suggest you post your new "Event Request" here--> posting.php?mode=post&f=4 in the HAZ Forum so it will have the proper exposure for anyone interested.
Last edited by Grasshopper on May 17 2018 3:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
(Outside.. "there is No Place Like It!!")

CannondaleKid
Soap Box Kopelli

Post by CannondaleKid » May 17 2018 5:11 pm

@TannerF
When posting the Event Request, you may want to link it to one or both of these: (Or whatever specific hike you are interested in)

Tonto National Monument - Upper Dwellings
Please Note: The upper dwellings require ADVANCE reservations, information of which is included in the hike description above.

Tonto National Monument - Upper Dwellings
CannondaleKid

no avatar
TannerF
Exploring Kokopelli
City, State: Aliso Viejo, ca

Post by TannerF » May 17 2018 8:38 pm

@CannondaleKid
But the devils chasm ruins do not require such a permit correct because I didn’t see any listed on the hike page

CannondaleKid
Soap Box Kopelli

Post by CannondaleKid » May 18 2018 7:34 am

@TannerF
Yes, for Devils Chasm you are correct. In reference to:
TannerF wrote:cliff dwellings in the Tonto Area
I took that to mean Tonto National Monument. If you meant in the Tonto National Forest, that covers a HUGE area.

Upon your mention of Devils Chasm, that would dwellings in the Sierra Ancha/Cherry Creek area, which also includes Cold Spring Canyon/Pueblo Canyon on the west side of Cherry Creek and Cooper Forks on the east side.
CannondaleKid

Return to “Trail Chat”