No
52%

Total votes: 214

AZ_Hiker
Exploring Kokopelli
City, State: Queen Creek, AZ

Hand guns on the trail?

Post by AZ_Hiker » Jun 25 2003 10:31 am

I was just wondering how many or if any of you take a gun when you hike. I do. there are many reasons I can think of to take one along.

I have a few friends here at work that are both experanced hikers. one was part of search and rescue for many years, the other was a cop. Both have hiked just about every area of AZ and both have told me to always take a gun for many different reasons.
AZ Hiker
Just because your paranoid, doesn't mean there not after you!

chumley
Highway Artist
City, State: Tempe, AZ

Re: Hand guns on the trail?

Post by chumley » Feb 17 2010 10:42 am

Jeff MacE wrote:Each person must choose that for his or herself, IMHO.
I agree completely. However, we have now begun to argue that somebody else's choice is wrong because its not the same choice we would make. That's a very slippery slope.
Highway to hell

Jeffshadows
Dirty Pooch Harry
City, State: Old Pueblo

Post by Jeffshadows » Feb 17 2010 11:46 am

chumley wrote:
Jeff MacE wrote:Each person must choose that for his or herself, IMHO.
I agree completely. However, we have now begun to argue that somebody else's choice is wrong because its not the same choice we would make. That's a very slippery slope.
Yes, I agree. I think we need a consensus about what is and is not permitted before we try to go after people that make these decisions...
AD-AVGVSTA-PER-ANGVSTA

Pathfinder Aaron
Volunteer Kokopelli
City, State: MESA, AZ

Post by Pathfinder Aaron » Feb 25 2010 9:26 pm

I haven't read all the comments but I will say I do carry on anything longer than a day hike. There are just too many weirdos out there, and I'd rather have one on me when I need it than not have one. When out in the middle of nowhere, the only thing you can count on are your friends and yourself. There are no police coming out in the wilderness, no 911 to call. Having one packed away unloaded really doesn't do you much good either, defending against humans or animals. I will say though that if animals were my only concern, it wouldn't be a gun I carry but some pepper spray. Unfortunately though, I just don't trust certain types of people that can likely be encountered out in the middle of nowhere.

azbackpackr
River Paddler
City, State: Flag-summer-Needles-winter

Post by azbackpackr » Feb 26 2010 10:06 am

I don't carry very often, but when I go backpacking down by the Black River, or in the Blue Primitive Area I do bring my .38. There are a lot of reports of rabid foxes and other rabid animals in that area.
There is a point of no return unremarked at the time in most lives. Graham Greene The Comedians
A clean house is a sign of a misspent life.

Return to “Firearms / Knives / Tools / Hunting”