Linked Guides none
Linked Area/Label none
Canyonram
Triplogs Last: none | RS: 0
Water Reports 1Y: 0 | Last: never
City, State: Page, AZ

For the Grand Canyon Paleontological Geeks

Post by Canyonram »

NPS release on April 22, 2021: “After a multi-year effort, the National Park Service and the Utah Geological Association have published Grand Canyon National Park Centennial Paleontological Resources Inventory: A Century of Fossil Discovery and Research, available for public download on the Utah Geological Association website.

https://utahgeology.org/publications/special-pubs

(Found on the web: "While moving to a new apartment I lost several of my fossils from when I was a kid. They weren't really worth much so I guess it's just the sedimental value I'm missing.")
"I shot a werewolf once. But by the time I went to retrieve it, it changed into my neighbor's dog." D. Schruete
big_load
Guides: 0 | Official Routes: 1
Triplogs Last: 1,115 days ago | RS: 2
Water Reports 1Y: 0 | Last: 1,115 days ago
City, State: Andover, NJ

Re: For the Grand Canyon Paleontological Geeks

Post by big_load »

Canyonram wrote:So, you're the one responsible for all the 'Mary Colter Blue' coprolites spread throughout the Canyon?
She had her own color?
Canyonram

Post by Canyonram »

big_load wrote:She had her own color
Yes indeed. Colter was first and foremost an artist who applied her talents to architecture. She had her hand in every detail of her designs, including mixing up her own paint tints to designing the ‘Mimbre’ tableware for use on the Sante Fe RR dining cars. Colter Blue is an ‘in-house’ secret formula from the Fred Harvey days (similar to the recipe for Coca-Cola.). She wanted to capture the blue of the Arizona sky along with the blue of turquoise. She even wrote an ‘Interpretative Guide’ for Drivers and Guides on all the details of the Desert View Watchtower that is still is use today.

http://thechileshop.com/mimbrenochina.aspx

http://www.rupestrian.com/RCS_Watchtower.pdf

Think of her the next time you squat and face toward the Watchtower and deposit those Colter Blue coprolites along the Tanner Trail.
Last edited by Canyonram on Aug 18 2021 4:54 pm, edited 2 times in total.
"I shot a werewolf once. But by the time I went to retrieve it, it changed into my neighbor's dog." D. Schruete
chumley
Guides: 84 | Official Routes: 201
Triplogs Last: 18 days ago | RS: 40
Water Reports 1Y: 1 | Last: 25 days ago
City, State: Tempe, AZ

Post by chumley »

I thought she was a fraud? Just stole the color and just took credit for it? :-k [-(
33s over 45s
Canyonram

Post by Canyonram »

chumley wrote:I thought she was a fraud? Just stole the color and just took credit for it?
So, kicking the hornet's nest for the fun of it to see what happens? I always knew you were a Colter Blue coprolite disturber.

Return to “Grand Canyon Forum”