# of days 1

GTG_AZH
Guides: 1 | Official Routes: 0
Triplogs Last: 7,171 days ago | RS: 0
Water Reports 1Y: 0 | Last: never
City, State: Peoria, AZ - Originally from Rocket City USA

Group Hike to Rogers Canyon

Post by GTG_AZH »

Hooli and I having recently read Feldman's 'Crooked Mountain', have the itch to go see the ruins in Rogers Canyon.
http://www.hikearizona.com/decoder.php? ... s%20Canyon
We will be headed out early next Sunday, April 21st. Hooli, Linda and myself will be in his Jeep with room for one more. The road is pretty rough back in there and high clearance is recommended. I'm not sure you need four wheel drive, we'll have to await Fritzski's answer on that. We would like to have this as a HAZ group hike for anyone interested. If we take a sizeable group back there we'll have to exercise our LNT ethics a little more carefully around the ruins.

Let's go for a walk.
GTG
'Alright now look over here and smile! and pretend like you're having a good time!'
evenstarx3
Triplogs Last: 7,254 days ago | RS: 0
City, State: Sun City West, AZ from CA

Post by evenstarx3 »

Called Elvira's today and said 8 or 9 of us would be there around 4:00. Explained we would be coming in from a hike and that I couldn'd be exact on the time; no problem!
Hooli, aka Trihairopelli

"They say the dog is man's best friend.
I don't believe that. How many of your friends have you neutered?"
--Larry Reeb
Jim Hatt
Triplogs Last: none | RS: 0
City, State: Apache Junction, AZ

Post by Jim Hatt »

Hello... Looks like a real nice Hiking Group here. I plan on going to Angel Springs myself tomorrow, but I will probably be an hour or so ahead of you on the trail. So... if you see a lone rider on a black horse, Don't Shoot! It's just me!

Jim
Fritzski
Guides: 43 | Official Routes: 0
Triplogs Last: 2,149 days ago | RS: 0
City, State: Gilbert, AZ

Post by Fritzski »

Jim, welcome to the site and to our forum.

For those of you who don't know, Jim is a well respected 'Dutch Hunter' and one visit to Ron Felman's site thelostdutchmangoldmine.com, will show you he is among the inner circle and true wealth of knowledge on the subject.

Wish I could be on the hike to meet you, my wife will be there. I'm sure we'll cross paths one day.

Once again, welcome and I for one hope to see you visit again.
Jim Hatt

Post by Jim Hatt »

Hello John, Thank You for the warm welcome. Your friends made me feel real welcome on the trail with them too, in spite of how out of place I must have seemed on horseback.

'Inner Circle'? There is an inner circle of Dutch-Hunters? I better get right over to Ron's and see where I fit in! (Didn't you know that the people considered to be in that so called 'inner circle' Rarely Ride Together).

One of these days I will go on a hike that you are on, and maybe one of these days I'll get you on one of my horses for a trip?

Jim
GTG_AZH

Sorry Jim

Post by GTG_AZH »

Sorry Jim, I didn't know that you had been here and were headed out there as well. If I had seen your post here, I wouldn't have kept calling you cowboy. Glad you and the horse made it out OK. Nice truck too, did it come with four wheel drive? or did somebody add that?

I'm the guy that caught your camera and offered you the beer.

GTG
'Alright now look over here and smile! and pretend like you're having a good time!'
Jim Hatt

Post by Jim Hatt »

No Problem GTG, Cowboy works! Under the circumstances, it worked real well! I have been hiking in the Superstitions for 13 years now and never saw the Cliff Dwellings. Was happy that my camera didn't get broken in the process. Tom Kollenborn stopped by this evening shortly after I got home and said that if he had known I was going out there with you folks he would have gone along. (I had tried to invite him but didn't reach him in time) Maybe another trip...

Nice meeting all of you, Hope to meet Fritzski real soon.

Jim
Jim Hatt

Post by Jim Hatt »

GTG... I forgot to answer your question about the truck... NO! Chevy never made one like that! LOL It's a 66 Chevy Cab, a 64 Chevy Box with 10 ' removed from the length so it would all fit on a 83 Chevy Blazer 4X4 Frame and drive train. The engine is a 305 out of an 86 Chevy Suburban and the Transmission is a 350 THM out of a 75 Monte Carlo. It was a summer project a couple years back.

Jim
GTG_AZH

Cool truck

Post by GTG_AZH »

I thought you missed my truck question. Ask anybody that was standing around me listening to my drivel. I must have said it twice, 'that's a cool truck'. I wasn't sure but thought it looked a little short.

That must be a chore hauling a trailer in there though. Anyway, hope you enjoyed the trip today as much as I did, I don't know about that whole horse riding thing though. It's difficult enough for me to get myself going, much less a horse.

GTG
evenstarx3

Post by evenstarx3 »

Yeah Jim, was nice meeting you; I'm the one who's been given many names here at HAZ; the one that generally sticks is, Hooli.

Great hike today, HAZ'ers! Now I've fed the dogs, had a shower and I'm on my way to bed!

Oh yeah, Before I forget: HAZ women are TOUGH :!: :!: :lol:
Hooli, aka Trihairopelli

--Larry Reeb
Pellegrino
Triplogs Last: 7,270 days ago | RS: 0

Post by Pellegrino »

Hi Everyone,

Whew, got me and the Jimmy cleaned up and now I'm done! Wasn't as sore as I expected this morning when I got up. I was able to go to the gym and keep up the training with Humphries in mind. Hoping to fit in with those other HAZ women Hoolie was talking about. I say 'your all tough.'

That was a great hike. What a beautiful canyon. The Supes seem to just go on and on.

Todd - Thanks for organizing such a great day.

Hoolie - That is a really cool jeep (notice I didn't say 'cute')

Jim-don't know how I missed your posts. I was on-line shortly before I took off Sun. a.m. Anyhow, it was great to meet you and Dakota. He is such a beautiful horse and I was very impressed with his hiking capability. I was just coming out of the trail when you were leaving so I got to see your truck and it is VERY cool. I was asking you on the trail if you had some monster truck you pulled the horse trailer up with and you said no - I got a 30 yr. old truck. It looks and sounds great!

Bill-Thanks for taking us by the Wells Fargo post. Its so neat how its right by the road but hardly known of.

Sande J.-You rock. I'm so glad you went.

I'll email Joe some of my pics, but I know he'll probably get quite a few so here's where you can go to see some others.
http://photos.yahoo.com/bc/kmerly2000/l ... ph&.last=1
Kelly :)

Climb every mountain, ford every stream
Follow every rainbow, till you find your dream
Pellegrino
Triplogs Last: 7,270 days ago | RS: 0

Post by Pellegrino »

Woops, one more thing..........

Randy-Thanks for meeting us at Elveeeeeeeeera's, sorry you couldn't make the hike. Next time for sure.

Dinner was spicy! Wish more of ya coulda made it.
Kelly :)

Climb every mountain, ford every stream
Follow every rainbow, till you find your dream
Cairn

group hike to roger's canyon

Post by Cairn »

I just wanted to say THANKS :) GTG for organizing the hike! I enjoyed meeting everyone (Rusty did, too!) I would love to try the same hike again after a good rain.

I wish I would have read Jim's (man with horse) post prior to the hike. I didn't know you had been chatting with my Fritzski! You have a beautiful horse, and I don't think it will be too difficult to get John (Fritzski) to join you on a ride.

Hope to hike again with ya'll soon... Maybe Humphries??

PS This is my third post on HIKE AZ!!
Paintninaz
Triplogs Last: 1,050 days ago | RS: 3
Water Reports 1Y: 0 | Last: 1,948 days ago
City, State: Phoenix, AZ

Post by Paintninaz »

What a GREAT hike!! :D Funny, I wasn't sore yesterday, but got up this morning a little stiff :? I can't wait to get my pictures developed (yes, the old fashioned way with FILM! :lol: )

Hoolie, thanks for the ride!, I hope the deathgrip I had in the back didn't leave permanent fingerprints... :lol: I'll never call your jeep cute again, I promise.

Cairin, has Rusty woke up yet? The little guy really did have a workout!!!

Better get some more hikes in before Humphries or I'll be hobbeling after that one!!

paintninaz
evenstarx3

Post by evenstarx3 »

Washed the Jeep yesterday and not a scratch (or embedded fingerprint :lol: ) on it. Glad ya'll enjoyed the ride :wink:
Hooli, aka Trihairopelli

--Larry Reeb
GTG_AZH

Great Hike

Post by GTG_AZH »

Thanks to everyone who participated and your welcome as well!
The ruins were quite a sight to behold and that was a great group as well.

It is a shame that people can't leave things alone and pick up after themselves.
Anyone who leaves orange peels at a place like that shouldn't be allowed out of their house for a few years.
I've made two trips to the eastern Superstitions in a month and put out campfires both times.
These people that leave fires burning and or smoldering in the wilderness, should be made to fight wildfires in the nude for four or five summers here in Arizona and see if that fixes them.
And that's all I have to say about that.

Some days the camera and I are good friends, this was one of those days.
http://www.hikearizona.com/gallery/Rogers-Canyon

Thanks,
GTG

Return to “Hiking Events”