Linked Areas none
AZLOT69
City, State: Gold Canyon, AZ

Bears In The News

Post by AZLOT69 » Jun 24 2010 9:01 am

Eight Foraging Bears Killed In Tahoe

Posted: 9:44 am PDT June 11, 2010
Updated: 10:02 am PDT June 11, 2010

INCLINE VILLAGE, Nev. -- The heavy snow and lingering winter conditions in the Sierra are forcing black bears into the valleys around Lake Tahoe, where an unusually large number of them have had to be put to death in recent weeks.

Nevada Department of Wildlife biologist Carl Lackey says officials already killed eight bears this spring, compared with a typical death toll of just one or two by this time.

"I attribute that to the late winter weather conditions," he said.

Unlocked food or trash lures the bears into trouble in cars and homes. Adding to the problem, Lackey said, is Washoe County has no ordinance requiring bear-proof trash receptacles.

Hot spots are centered near South Lake Tahoe, Tahoma and Highway 89 near the Squaw Valley and Alpine ski resorts.

Cristen Langner, a wildlife biologist for California Fish and Game, said the California side of the Tahoe basin has had three permitted bear deaths this year, which is not uncommon for this time. Each of the deaths was also a result of residents not locking up food trash or food, she said.

Langner echoed Lackey's words of caution and said residents should always be bear-aware and keep doors locked and food secure.

"The big thing is that every time these bears are successful (finding stored trash or food) it just reinforces that behavior," she said.

Ann Bryant, president of the Homewood-based BEAR League, said she's concerned about the death toll.

"I'm pretty shocked because it's only going to get worse as the season goes on," she said.

Bryant said based on calls, sightings and onsite observations, the BEAR League has observed more newborns this year than any other, as well as an increased number of sightings and conflicts.

Usually bears aren't spotted out of hibernation until May or June, Bryant said, but she's seen them as early as March and April this year.
It's best for a man to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to open his mouth and remove all doubt.
--Mark Twain

joebartels
City, State: Phoenix, AZ

Re: Bears In The News

Post by joebartels » Jul 07 2010 9:22 am

Auckland wants to take on Wellington as the film-making capital of New Zealand. A big screen version of the 1960s cartoon Yogi Bear is currently being filmed in Auckland, and it has given the city's leaders some big ideas. The new Yogi Bear film is being filmed in live action 3D, with Yogi and Booboo to be superimposed as cartoons, voiced by Dan Aykroyd and Justin Timberlake. The American filmmakers scouted several Southern Hemisphere cities before settling on Auckland. "We've also got easy access to pine forests and we've built Jellystone Park at nearby Woodhill Forest," says the film's director Eric Brevig. On Monday, though, they were at the Town Hall. Mayor John Banks happily gave up his offices. "We're going for it because it's about keeping Auckland talent in Auckland and not shifting them to Los Angeles," says Banks. Many of the 200-odd cast and crew members are locals. The council has had to block-off sections of road and find alternative parking for local residents. But it says the money this film is bringing to the region is well worth the disruption. "Between 40 to 50 million US dollars for this film. That's a lot of money, it's a big business." The council's now introducing a film-friendly policy, allowing filmmaking in Auckland with a simple permit instead of resource consent. "We're hoping to out-gun Melbourne and Sydney as a location," says Banks.
Hike Arizona it ROCKS!

PLC92084
City, State: Vista, CA

Post by PLC92084 » Jul 07 2010 10:00 am

The fact that anyone is spending
joe bartels wrote:Between 40 to 50 million US dollars for this film
(and that's just Auckland's share...) is scary ! :o

SuperstitionGuy
City, State: Apache Junction, Arizona

Post by SuperstitionGuy » Jul 08 2010 7:46 am

Big_Load do you ride a motorcycle? :scared:

Motorcyclist collides with bear on NJ highway Jun 26, 9:00 PM (ET)

FREDON, N.J. (AP) - A motorcyclist escaped serious injury Saturday when he collided with a black bear that unexpectedly ran across a northwestern New Jersey highway. Sgt. Julian Castellanos, a state police spokesman, said the man was northbound on Route 94 in the Sussex County community of Fredon when the accident occurred around 9:30 a.m.

The motorcyclist - whose name was not released - was taken to Newton Memorial Hospital, where he was treated for minor injuries and later released.

Castellanos said the bear also survived and walked into the woods.
A man's body may grow old, but inside his spirit can still be as young and restless as ever.
- Garth McCann from the movie Second Hand Lions

Another victim of Pixel Trivia.

Current avatar courtesy of Snakemarks

joebartels

Post by joebartels » Jul 08 2010 7:49 am

SuperstitionGuy wrote:the bear also survived and walked into the woods
Folks are arming themselves with guns, chemicals and bells yet a motorcycle on a highway isn't enough :o
Hike Arizona it ROCKS!

azbackpackr
City, State: Flag-summer-Needles-winter

Post by azbackpackr » Jul 08 2010 8:34 am

Yeah, but that was in New Jersey, which is like, a foreign country or something... New Jersey bears, New Jersey drivers... :roll:
There is a point of no return unremarked at the time in most lives. Graham Greene The Comedians
A clean house is a sign of a misspent life.

big_load
City, State: Andover, NJ

Post by big_load » Jul 08 2010 9:30 am

SuperstitionGuy wrote:Big_Load do you ride a motorcycle?
Thankfully not. That accident was just up the road from me, but didn't get much attention locally. As I've probably noted here before, the best current estimate in my county is now up to about 5 bears per square mile. With most of us commuting long distances every day, almost everyone has had to stop for a bear once or twice. We had an out-of-state visitor last weekend who saw her first bear before we even got home. That's why our trash lives in the house until 15 minutes before the trucks come.

azbackpackr

Post by azbackpackr » Jul 08 2010 11:07 am

Hmmm, maybe next time you go home from work you will find a bear living in the house, too! :D
There is a point of no return unremarked at the time in most lives. Graham Greene The Comedians

big_load

Post by big_load » Jul 08 2010 11:24 am

azbackpackr wrote:Hmmm, maybe next time you go home from work you will find a bear living in the house, too!
Once I woke up in the middle of the night because of noise downstairs. I had left the door open and a bear was rummaging around in the garage. I chased it out into the driveway and got the door down. It tried for an hour or so to get back in, but eventually gave up.

azbackpackr

Post by azbackpackr » Jul 08 2010 11:27 am

So, your house has scratch marks on it? :o

big_load

Post by big_load » Jul 08 2010 11:32 am

azbackpackr wrote:So, your house has scratch marks on it?
No, it was an educated bear. It marred the weatherstripping on the bottom of the garage door and nothing else. That needed replacing anyway.

montezumawell
City, State: Montezumawell, AZ

I'm Bearanoid. Bearanoia is a good thing

Post by montezumawell » Jul 08 2010 8:39 pm

Leave it to HAZ! (Cue Brass Band and Wild Cheers for HAZ.) This forum has always been the best and it continues to prove why it's the best ever anywhere, bar none, hands down, period. This forum thread on bears is great and I am a rapt reader. I had a hunch tonight that people were "talking bears" here on HAZ and I wasn't disappointed. I want to salute each of the contributors to this thread so far, you have added worthy content and insight and made this topic a true delight to read.

I had an interesting twist and turn of karma this week and when it was all over I became the proud owner of the domain name http://bearanoid.com. That's after getting a Twitter, Facebook and blog for the word "bearanoia." It all happened as a fluke. We were planning on hiking Tuesday on the Montana side of the Centennial Mountain Range. Our Idaho Dept. of Fish & Game issued a very ambiguous news release late Friday, July 2nd stating they were beginning to trap grizzly bears right after the 4th of July weekend. Well, as you know, a grizz killed a very talented and smart person June 17 so we were in no mood to tangle with a grizz recovering from Fish & Game's idea of Bear Prozac. We opted out of hiking Tuesday but the whole thing prompted me to get a tad bit more serious about my own bear gig. Hence the inception of the various online resources.

Since Tuesday, I've really amped it up with those resources and am now thinking of taking them to the next level, whatever the heck that might be. I suspect that each of the HAZ members who have posted here will thoroughly enjoy reading (except the sad parts) both the Twitter and the blog that hides behind the name of bearanoid.com Please, please do be sure to read the evolving controversy about the death of Erwin Evert June 17. There has been a LOT of misinformation circulating about his tragic death. Personally, I'd bet the whole thing is heading straight to the courtroom very soon.

We will soon be covering the evolving court case involving the $2.1-million lawsuit over the death of the Utah boy on June 17, 2007 in the upper reaches of American Fork Canyon. (The Utah Supreme Court will rule soon on it--probably yet this year.) Susun and I had been in that canyon only a few days beforehand that year so we followed that truly tragic story from the "git go." If ever there was a genuine tragedy, that incident clearly qualifies as such.

Earlier today, I researched the ALL Time worse Black Bear fatality and it is posted at http://bearanoid.com. My efforts to run this blog and Twitter are totally non-commercial, I don't even have a site meter on the blog and couldn't care less how many visitors it gets. My main motivation is two fold: A) To educate myself on behalf of me and my wife and those we hike and camp with; and B) To assist any other online visitors in educating themselves in whatever way may be appropriate for them.

So far, the whole exercise has been exponentially enlightening for me in ways I've never imagined.

For the record, we do own and carry two cans of EPA-registered bear spray and we've never had to use them. We no longer carry a pistol in bear country. For the record, I was actually bitten by a black bear in 1957 at the Yellowstone South entrance. Luckily, it was a relatively minor injury for me but the incident resulted in the bear being shot and killed later that day.

Well, I look forward to reading the continuation of this topic. It's just so typical of all that makes HAZ so great. Thanks to each and every one of you who make this Forum and everything about HAZ so remarkable and unique. You are all GREAT!!!!! Happy Trails & Cheers, Johnny Montezuma

big_load

Post by big_load » Jul 08 2010 9:03 pm

montezumawell wrote:Please, please do be sure to read the evolving controversy about the death of Erwin Evert June 17. There has been a LOT of misinformation circulating about his tragic death. Personally, I'd bet the whole thing is heading straight to the courtroom very soon.
Yes, I sure would like to read a far more detailed account than what I've seen so far. It just doesn't make any sense.

tibber

Post by tibber » Jul 08 2010 10:32 pm

It's interesting that this topic would come up as I just sent this email to my brother and desertgirl as we are heading to grizzly country on July 18th. I think the video is cute however the message is clear.
Subject: being bear aware.

First of all, click on this link and check out the video http://www.centerforwildlifeinformation ... aware.html

After enjoying that go to the menu pages on the left and click on Bear Spray to read about it. Feel free to read any of the other menu items.
I've been hiking in Glacier every other summer this century and have only seen a grizzly and cubs from a distance one time. But we are going into prime bear country this time so it's good to at least be informed.
For me, sometimes it's just as much about the journey as the destination.
Oh, and once in awhile, don't forget to look back at the trail you've traveled.

azbackpackr

Post by azbackpackr » Jul 09 2010 4:30 am

Reminds me of the punch line to that joke about backpacking in Alaska...when you are hiking in black bear territory, observe the poop: It is small, dark, has seeds in it and smells like berries. When you get to grizzly bear territory, you'll recognize it because the poop is a lot larger than black bear's, it's lighter in color, has bells in it and smells like pepper spray! :D

montezumawell

Amazing HAZ archives!

Post by montezumawell » Jul 11 2010 9:15 pm

As the years tick by like miles on our odometer, we have become ever yet more amazed at the incredible archival value of HAZ. How does HAZ do it? Who knows? Somehow, HAZ has everything anyone ever posted up to this Forum. This evening, we were once again prowling HAZ for "bear material." (see above post.) Lo and behold, we actually stumbled into a post we made waaay back in the Way Back Time machine in February 2002! Here is the link to it: http://hikearizona.com/article.php?ID=14 If you scroll to bottom, you will see our post dated 2-17-02. Amazing. Most of what we said more than 8 years ago still holds water. we no longer carry a pistol. We gave that up quite awhile ago. We do carry bear spray and we believe that it will work if we need it to work. Anyway, we thought the authors who have posted to this topic here would like to know we have "some history" with discussing bears on HAZ.

montezumawell

Warning signs had been removed

Post by montezumawell » Jul 20 2010 9:02 am

An investigative report released yesterday (Monday, July 19, 2010) confirms that warning signs had been removed prior to the death of Erwin Frank Evert June 17 near the Yellowstone East Entrance. Here's the AP story on this report: http://bit.ly/cAkXLg
Report: Warning signs removed at griz mauling site
By MEAD GRUVER (AP) – 14 hours ago
CHEYENNE, Wyo. — Two researchers who tranquilized and studied a grizzly bear hours before the animal killed a hiker near Yellowstone National Park removed warning signs as they left the site, an investigation has found.
A report released Monday also says the victim knew the researchers were studying bears less than a mile from his summer cabin, and expressed hope that he would meet them while hiking so he could ask them about their work.
Erwin Frank Evert, 70, a botanist from Park Ridge, Ill., went hiking the afternoon of June 17 from the summer cabin he owned about six miles from Yellowstone's east gate. The 430-pound bear killed him where the bear, caught in a previously set snare, was studied that morning.
Authorities shot and killed the bear from a helicopter two days later.
The researchers are members of the Interagency Grizzly Bear Study Team. Yellowstone grizzlies are listed as a threatened species and the team is responsible for monitoring their numbers and health.
The report recommends that the team adopt detailed standards for posting warning signs.
The report drew from interviews with and statements by the two study team researchers, Seth Thompson and Chad Dickinson, and interviews with and statements by others.
Thompson wrote that they took down the warning signs while they left the groggy bear to finish waking up. It was their last day of studying grizzlies in the area and they hadn't seen any hikers in the drainage during their three weeks of work, he wrote.
The weather was brisk and snowy, he wrote.
"We also felt that the unfavorable weather conditions would curtail human activity that day," Thompson wrote.
The researchers left the bear at 12:30 p.m. and Evert began hiking at 12:45 p.m., according to the report.
Around 6:15 p.m., Evert's wife, Yolanda Evert, met Dickinson and Thompson after they'd returned to the trailhead and told them Evert was late getting back. Dickinson wrote that he rode a horse back to the trap site and found Evert face-down with significant head injuries.
Dickinson returned quickly to the trailhead.
"I was concerned for my own safety and was very convinced that Mr. Evert was indeed dead," Dickinson wrote.
The report relayed accounts suggesting Evert put himself at risk despite being aware of the danger.
Evert had seen the warning signs while hiking yet expressed hope in the days before his death that he could "catch up with" the researchers and talk to them, said the report, drawing from a statement by a forest ranger who'd talked to Evert's wife and daughter.
"They said he had a natural curiosity which was part of his personality as a scientist," wrote Terry Root, a district ranger for Shoshone National Forest, where Evert was killed.
Evert apparently strayed half a mile uphill from his usual hiking route to reach the site where he was attacked, according to a map in the report showing Evert's usual hiking "circuit" and the location of the research site.
He was not carrying bear spray or a firearm, according to the report.
Evert's daughter, Mara Domingue, of Ventress, La., did not return a phone message seeking comment. Study team leader Chuck Schwartz, with the U.S. Geological Survey in Bozeman, Mont., also did not return a phone message seeking comment.

azbackpackr

Post by azbackpackr » Jul 20 2010 9:31 am

What an unfortunate turn of fate for that poor man.

Jeffshadows
City, State: Old Pueblo

Re: Amazing HAZ archives!

Post by Jeffshadows » Jul 20 2010 9:34 am

montezumawell wrote:we no longer carry a pistol. We gave that up quite awhile ago. We do carry bear spray and we believe that it will work if we need it to work.
Everyone I have ever spoken to that has actually been taught how to handle a bear or has actually *had* an encounter with one would agree with this statement.
AD-AVGVSTA-PER-ANGVSTA

imike
City, State: Cloudcroft, NM

Post by imike » Jul 20 2010 12:52 pm

that is unfortunate... I've never encountered a Grizzly... not sure what that would be like. Brown/black bear encounters are common, and so far, benign. I've run into four over the last five weeks.
Ageless Mind... Timeless Body... No Way! Use It and Lose It. Just the way it is...

Al_HikesAZ
City, State: Scottsdale, AZ

Post by Al_HikesAZ » Jul 23 2010 9:54 am

DON'T TASE ME BRO'
Anchorage police officer repels black bear with Taser

Anchorage Daily News
Published: July 23rd, 2010 07:56 AM Last Modified: July 23rd, 2010 07:57 AM

A problem bear that has been frequenting Hillside homes and yards in recent weeks was subjected to shock therapy from police spokesman Lt. Dave Parker's Taser on Thursday morning. After the small black bear got into a fish fryer on the porch, Parker decided to try a novel approach to deconditioning the animal to people, he said. He armed himself with a backup firearm and a personal Taser C2, which launches a 30-second burst of 100,000 volts, Parker said.

"I thought, 'Here is a wonderful opportunity to give this a test,' " Parker said. He fired out the window and hit the bear in the shoulder from about 15 feet, he said.

"The bear promptly went inverted, with feet in the air, growling and crying at the same time, flailing with his feet," Parker said. "He actually rolled off the porch."

When it was done, the bear sat up, shook his head, seemingly to regain his wits, and then bolted "faster than any bear I've ever seen," he said.

"Hopefully, he's associating electrification with getting into mischief in people's homes," Parker said.

Read more: http://www.adn.com/2010/07/22/1378026/o ... z0uWbpE2M4
Anybody can make a hike harder. The real skill comes in making the hike easier.
Not if we can help it UNCLE JACK. http://www.sleepingdogtv.com/reel/Uncle-Jack.aspx Not if we can help it.

Return to “Fauna”