what is the best gps device?

Moderator: HAZ - Moderators

Linked Guides none
Linked Areas none
RowdyandMe
City, State: Deer Valley, AZ

what is the best gps device?

Post by RowdyandMe » Jan 05 2014 6:41 pm

I am looking to get a gps hand held device. I know there are a lot out there. So I guess what I really am looking for is the biggest bang for my buck.
any input would be great thanks
Rowdy and Widowmaker

kingsnake
City, State: Sunnyslope, PHX

Re: what is the best gps device?

Post by kingsnake » Jan 29 2014 9:46 am

Someone should know this before they make the same decision ... :)
http://prestonm.com : Everyone's enjoyment of the outdoors is different and should be equally honored.

friendofThundergod
City, State: AZ

Post by friendofThundergod » Jan 29 2014 9:47 am

@chumley
says an old guy ;)

Grasshopper
City, State: Scottsdale, AZ

Post by Grasshopper » Jan 29 2014 10:19 am

kingsnake wrote:Someone should know this before they make the same decision ... :)
My use of the word "problems" was incorrect.. these issues you describe are not "unit design problems", they are "your problems" in trying to learn this new 62s design replacement for the older technology 60CSx ;)

Also, why I am on the subject one should know that Garmin MapSource organizer/editor was designed to work with Garmin units before and up through the Garmin 60 series units. The Garmin BaseCamp organizer/editor was designed to work with Garmin units designed from the Oregon/62/64,etc series units. I'm pretty sure that we cannot upload routes and WPs from the Oregon/62/64 series to MapSource.. we have to learn BaseCamp or figure-out how to do it directly from/to the unit to/from your computer files, then to/from HAZ-Route Manager (using HAZ-Route Manager as your primary organizer/editor and just by-passing MapSource and/or BaseCamp) :sweat:
(Outside.. "there is No Place Like It!!")

kingsnake

Post by kingsnake » Jan 29 2014 10:29 am

Sorry, disagree. It is a flaw in the device if a user of reasonable skill and intelligence has more than a few small glitches performing tasks they have routinely performed with no problems on previous occasions. In other words, usability is crucial and lack thereof not a user problem, but a design problem. (Probably indicative of more corporate emphasis/money being placed on marketing than on development and/or testing; been there from the other end, I know.) :)

Anyway ... deleted BaseCamp (despite having all the latest updates), downloaded & installed most recent version (4.2.4, released October 28, 2013) from http://www8.garmin.com/support/download ... sp?id=4449 . Same lack of results: Device not detected, disabled checkboxes in popups, etc. :doh:

Restarted computer; same BaseCamp failures. I should note that the upload dialog does detect that the USB attachd unit is a 62S, but it won't actually send any data to it, which makes it even more odd that WebUpdater detects no unit at all, let alone the unit's type. :-k
http://prestonm.com : Everyone's enjoyment of the outdoors is different and should be equally honored.

MtnBart01
City, State: Chipita Park, Co

Post by MtnBart01 » Jan 29 2014 10:46 am

@Grasshopper
I use Map source with my Garmin Oregon 450t. FYI it came with my 496 aviation GPS and I never bothered to learn base camp. I can't speak on the other models.
I'm pretty sure that we cannot upload routes and WPs from the Oregon/62/64 series to MapSource..
LET IT SNOW! Let it SNOW! Let it Snow!

CannondaleKid
City, State: Mesa, AZ

Post by CannondaleKid » Jan 29 2014 11:05 am

Grasshopper wrote:I'm pretty sure that we cannot upload routes and WPs from the Oregon/62/64 series to MapSource..
Yes you can, at least I can... :y:
Which means I will continue to use MapSource in conjunction with Route Manager.

BTW, if by chance there is no 'Archive' folder in the Garmin/GPX folder on your 62/64, you will be unable to archive any tracks.
And yes, this is/was a design fault! There was no archive folder when I got the device, so... if the software was intelligently designed it would CREATE the Archive folder if one did not exist so you actually could archive a track.
You know... kind of like the software programs that when a folder it needs to work properly doesn't exist, it asks if you want it to create one.
CannondaleKid

CannondaleKid

Post by CannondaleKid » Jan 29 2014 11:08 am

kingsnake wrote:which makes it even more odd that WebUpdater detects no unit at all, let alone the unit's type. :-k
Dare I ask where you bought the unit?
At some of the low prices I've seen, is it possible there are Chinese Garmin knock-offs?
CannondaleKid

The_Eagle
City, State: Far NE Phoenix, Az

Post by The_Eagle » Jan 29 2014 11:26 am

@chumley
You may like older......I moved from Etrex to Oregon, so I'm not as old as you....
There is a very fine line between "hobby" and "mental illness."
Dave Barry

kingsnake

Post by kingsnake » Jan 29 2014 11:28 am

So, I go to https://support.garmin.com/support/sear ... teForm.htm to file a help request. Select the various options, fill everything in, click send and ... "There is a problem sending your email. Please try again later." Now I have gone from frustrated to ballstic. :x

kingsnake

Post by kingsnake » Jan 29 2014 11:28 am

CannondaleKid wrote:
kingsnake wrote:which makes it even more odd that WebUpdater detects no unit at all, let alone the unit's type. :-k
Dare I ask where you bought the unit?
At some of the low prices I've seen, is it possible there are Chinese Garmin knock-offs?
Amazon.

CannondaleKid

Post by CannondaleKid » Jan 29 2014 11:43 am

kingsnake wrote:Select the various options, fill everything in, click send and ... "There is a problem sending your email. Please try again later." Now I have gone from frustrated to ballistic. :x
I got the same error the last time I tried to contact Garmin too. But then a day later I got a automated response telling me it was in fact received, but not getting an actual answer so I called support directly and all they confirmed was the things I complained about was "that's just the way it is.".

Years ago I was very happy with Garmin and their products but am becoming less so... the manuals leave much to be desired, I'm not enchanted by Garmin's support and the forums are even harder to deal with... broken links, 'system failure' and assorted issues.

So... I dug around a bit and found a great site for answers... here's a link for 62s series:
http://www.gpscity.com/questions?sku=62s
CannondaleKid

Tough_Boots
City, State: Phoenix, AZ

Post by Tough_Boots » Jan 29 2014 12:50 pm

remember when the 60csx first got discontinued and everyone had them on clearance for under $200? That was awesome...

now everyone can go back to complaining about the 62 :D
"there is no love where there is no bramble."
--bill callahan

PLC92084
City, State: Vista, CA

Post by PLC92084 » Jan 29 2014 1:01 pm

I'm going to continue using my 60cx until it blows up... By then, maybe there will be something better that actually works the way users think it should... There are still "features" on my unit I don't comprehend; and using the Garmin support groups, etal has been an exercise in frustration. How hard should it be to figure out how to get one's active track log color to be different than one's uploaded track!? It sucks when the two tracks overlap and it's not obvious which is which! I know it can be done because my unit did it once; just need to figure which arcane setting I messed with...

Grasshopper
City, State: Scottsdale, AZ

Post by Grasshopper » Jan 29 2014 2:08 pm

Tough_Boots wrote:remember when the 60csx first got discontinued and everyone had them on clearance for under $200? That was awesome...
now everyone can go back to complaining about the 62 :D
I guess I must be sitting on a $goldmine$ as I have three(3) 60CSx units just gathering dust that I have not used since buying my GPSMap62s in Oct'12 :)
(Outside.. "there is No Place Like It!!")

imike
City, State: Cloudcroft, NM

Post by imike » Jan 29 2014 4:18 pm

GeeGeezzzz... if my 60csx ever dies, after hearing all this... I'm going back to paper maps!!!
Ageless Mind... Timeless Body... No Way! Use It and Lose It. Just the way it is...

Tough_Boots

Post by Tough_Boots » Jan 29 2014 6:16 pm

imike wrote:I'm going back to paper maps!!!
What are those?
"there is no love where there is no bramble."
--bill callahan

paulhubbard

Post by paulhubbard » Jan 29 2014 8:02 pm

My first and only unit is the Oregon 450, which I love so far, although I'm certain I only use 1/10th or less of its functions.
Good judgement comes from experience. Experience comes from bad judgement.

kingsnake

Post by kingsnake » Jan 30 2014 9:49 am

Tough_Boots wrote:
imike wrote:I'm going back to paper maps!!!
What are those?
The user hostile navigation format you have to put up with when you lose your rune stone ... :D

-----

Waited 24 hours, just to see if time made a difference; it did not. Swappped my known to functional USB cable for the USB cable that came with the 62s. Same identification of unit in BaseCamp upload dialog, and same inability to actually send files to it.

-----

Call the Garmin support number, and "for faster service" they recommend using their web site. That would be the web site where the auto response said I should expect to wait three business days for a response ...

kingsnake

Post by kingsnake » Jan 30 2014 12:05 pm

30 minutes on phone, finally get someone. "Help" person verbally aggressive and not listening to what I am trying to communicate. [-X About to blow cork. :x Ask to speak to another person. Says "They will just tell you the same thing." :o Ask to speak to supervisor. Supposedly "at lunch". :oplz: Everybody leaves for lunch at the same time? Seriously!? "I can put you back in the queue." Yes, do that. (I would rather be in the queue than "talk" to you.) ](*,)

Finally get helpful person who will listen. :pray: Here's the scoop:

Unlike the 60csx, the 62s will not allow you to be in USB mode and view your GPS. It will not allow you to be in GPS (non-USB) mode and up/download data. The two are mutually exclusive. :o (Garmin tells me that is an "improvement"; I vehemently disagree: It is as if you could not use, or even view, your computer while transferring data to or from it, i.e crazy.) So, what one must do -- and I am not joking -- is one must plug in the USB cable, answer yes to the question, causing the screen to display the USB symbol, then one may up/download one's routes, waypoints, tracks and maps using BaseCamp. (Oh, and for what it is worth, Garmin help told me, unsolicited, that they *do not* recommend using BaseCamp to initiate MapInstall as it is, quote, "unstable". Seriously? And you released it!? :-s ) Once one is done up/downloading, power down, remove the USB cable, power up, then check to make sure your data was uploaded. Of course, if it did not upload properly, you get to repeat the process. :y: (Perhaps many times). :roll:

Alston_Neal

Post by Alston_Neal » Jan 30 2014 12:57 pm

Meanwhile back in Alston land...I've learned many new and exciting things with my 62S, such as the elevation of my bathroom.
I'll keep you all up to date on my new learning curve... :)
In Japan they say only old people and crazy people hike mountains...........yep

Our humble abode..
http://www.oldterritorialshop.com

Return to “Gear”