Havasu Canyon Trail

Moderator: HAZ - Moderators

Linked Guides none
Linked Areas none
azbackpackr
City, State: Flag-summer-Needles-winter

Supai Horse Abuse to be Prosecuted

Post by azbackpackr » Apr 28 2016 9:51 am

The horse abuse we have all seen at Supai/Havasu Falls/Havasupai (but why didn't we report?? I'm as guilty as anyone else) has finally reached the ears of authorities. Four horses in horrible condition were removed from the reservation, and one man brought into Federal Court on felony animal abuse charges.

The horses are being cared for by the Coconino Humane Association. They'd like some donations which will go directly to the care of the horses, most of which have huge sores and are 200 or more pounds underweight. Their hooves have already been treated by a farrier. There's more info on this page, plus news articles and a TV news link. You'll see a number of familiar names on the donor list.

https://www.gofundme.com/2rnd442s

The tribe makes millions of dollars down there every year with their overpriced camping fees, etc., but this kind of abuse has been going on for decades. I saw it the first time I went there in 1999, but others have told me they saw it decades before that.
There is a point of no return unremarked at the time in most lives. Graham Greene The Comedians
A clean house is a sign of a misspent life.

Alston_Neal
City, State: Phoenix, AZ

Re: Supai Horse Abuse to be Prosecuted

Post by Alston_Neal » May 02 2018 8:46 pm

If only they could be the "wild" horses of the Verde river and had their own FB group.
In Japan they say only old people and crazy people hike mountains...........yep

Our humble abode..
http://www.oldterritorialshop.com

hikeaz
City, State: Tempe, AZ

Post by hikeaz » May 03 2018 11:12 am

5/3/18- FLAGSTAFF, Ariz. —
Dozens of horses have died on tribal land in northern Arizona, apparently after getting trapped in a muddy stock pond as drought grips the region.
Navajo Nation spokesman Mihio Manus said Wednesday that 111 horses died in the pond near Cameron over the past week. Officials are trying to determine how best to deal with the carcasses that could attract scavenging birds, dogs and other wildlife, he said. The stock pond typically is a good spot for thirsty animals, being one of the last in the region to dry up. But drought conditions left it without much water from runoff or rain this year, tribal officials said. “It’s been happening for a few years,” said Cameron Chapter President Milton Tso. The tribe has struggled over the years with how to manage large populations of feral horses. Individual Navajo communities can request roundups, but public outcry has halted such efforts in the past.
kurt

SuperstitionGuy
City, State: Apache Junction, Arizona

Post by SuperstitionGuy » May 03 2018 11:36 am

@hikeaz - "but public outcry has halted such efforts in the past."
It appears that those concerned citizens should donate funds to drill wells and install windmills and tanks for the wild horses. Just sayin..... Either that or keep their mouths and wallets shut.....
Last edited by SuperstitionGuy on May 03 2018 11:37 am, edited 1 time in total.
A man's body may grow old, but inside his spirit can still be as young and restless as ever.
- Garth McCann from the movie Second Hand Lions

Another victim of Pixel Trivia.

Current avatar courtesy of Snakemarks

Alston_Neal

Post by Alston_Neal » May 03 2018 11:59 am

@hikeaz
I read this yesterday and was gonna post it here also. The drought no doubt is a problem, but another is that many Native groups have shifted in the last two generations from being equine centric to, well like the rest of us vehicle based. This now leaves us with growing population of feral horses across the west. One of my Navajo friends posted this article yesterday and while he takes great care of his horses, he also posts up the negligence he sees among fellow Navajo. One effort here ....

An article very relevant to this subject.
https://navajotimes.com/reznews/hunt-ca ... g-problem/
In Japan they say only old people and crazy people hike mountains...........yep

Our humble abode..
http://www.oldterritorialshop.com

Jim_H

Post by Jim_H » May 03 2018 7:53 pm

For some reason, they won't have a horse hunt. I guess hunting is bad now. Unless some coyotes, or mt lions, or cars take them, starvation is much better. Oh well.
Rocks!!

RowdyandMe
City, State: Deer Valley, AZ

Post by RowdyandMe » May 03 2018 8:48 pm

@Jim_H
Well you could work them to death.
Rowdy and Widowmaker

Return to “Havasu”