The Best Hikes of Grand Canyon Trails

3,725 Triplog Reviews in the Grand Canyon Trails
Most recent of 1,325 deeper Triplog Reviews
42 mi • 10,500 ft aeg
Cranberry Canyon attempt
Took 4 days to backpack around Deer and Tapeats creeks. We were hoping to return to Indian Hollow via the cranberry route but couldn't find the redwall route before it got very hot. Overall the trail was slow (or NPS mileages were off) but it was very rewarding.

Day 1: Indian Hollow to Deer Creek. There were thunderstorms the previous afternoon and for a couple hours fog was evaporating off the esplanade - what a pretty effect. Potholes were abundant on our hike down and somewhat more limited on the return trip. We didn't have trouble following the old trail along the esplanade to Bill Hall jct although others reported it was difficult.

It was already warm by the time we reached Surprise Valley but we promptly found a big rock with ample shade. We made sure to stay on top of food and electrolytes and still got hot by the time we reached the creek, where we took a long break in the water. The trail to deer creek is slow over boulders and talus, but the rocks are stable. On the way to the campsite we found some flowers which were absolutely swarmed by tarantula hawks. I got excited about the photo opportunity until I noticed a truly giant wasp....

After setting our tents we continued to the patio and the beach. Wow. Possibly my favorite mile in the whole canyon. We debated and decided you'd likely die if you fell off the ledges above the narrows so we made sure to return to camp sober and before dark. As soon as we arrived on the beach a boater walked straight over and offered us beers and trash service - how wonderful! We had enough time for a quick dinner and wade around the falls before heading up to bed.

Day 2: loop through Thunder River/ Tapeats Creek. We started early and were treated to beautiful light once we got over our intial hill - golden beams shining onto the opposite side of the canyon. The trail was easy walking for about a mile and reminded me of Beamer. Some big pontoon boats passed below - that was my first time seeing them and... they're a bit much.

After a quick wade in the river we started up into Tapeats Creek. It got hot fast when we were on the hotter rocks. The trail was a little exposed on both sides of the river, but river left was worse. The Thunder River crossings weren't evident so we made our best guess. We found a nice pool and probably spent a good hour sitting in the river around noon. This paid off later because our hike out to Surprise Valley was cooler than the rest of the day had been. There were also two easy access points to the waterfall and we took advantage to keep cool. Back in Deer Creek we enjoyed dinner at the patio and filtered lots of water (thank goodness for gravity filters) to prepare for our tough next day.

Day 3: Cranberry crack attempt. We got an early start and each carried 7-8L water. Right off the bat we took the hard way up to the ancient lake bed, going over the lower saddle instead of the upper. The lakebed was very cool and the easiest walking of the entire trip. We lost elevation rather than try to sidewalk on the talus below our goal slope. First we headed straight up and lost access to cross the big ravine to climbers right. We descended partway after realizing and found a cairn indicating where to enter the ravine. There was another cairn in the ravine that wasn't visible from the first cairn, so we added one to fill the gap. The scrambling got easier for a little while, although it continued heating up. The nastiest section was talus at the base of the redwall.

Thinking our chute was at climber's left, we climbed to the base of the redwall and used handholds on the cliff to stay secure on this nastiest bit of talus. My friend climbed to the only possible chute we saw and said it was no-go. We'd already decided that was our last ditch and we weren't wasting time in the heat searching for our chute, so we promptly turned around. I think the proper chute was actually slightly to the right above us but I'd accidentally deleted my reference photos, GPX, and notes - ugh! We had a hot, slippy, slow climb back down the talus and were relieved to return to a semblance of flat ground. This time we took the higher saddle to exit the ancient lakebed with much better results. When we reached the trail he proceeded to the patio for a very welcome rest, then down to the beach/ falls again for dinner.

Day 4: Missing the Cranberry route meant we had a long hike out. We hit the trail at 5:15am and worked hard to ascend out of Surprise Valley before the sun hit us. We took a bit more time on the esplanade, finding a few nice shady spots on the slickrock where we couldn't resist breaking. Only the largest/ most sheltered potholes were still full.

I had some nasty hot spots developing (strangely, I never noticed them until I took my shoes off each evening so they got quite bad) and I was quite "over it" by the time we began our final ascent to Indian Hollow. After dumping excess water (my pack was probably now below 15lbs) I got a second wind and was marching along... until the trail routed around a dead tree. The tedium of scrambling 15ft down loose talus just 5 minutes from the trailhead nearly broke me. Once on the rim, I was hardly interested in a last look into the canyon, but that's about normal for me. Happily, I had grilled cheese fixings waiting in my car.
14.5 mi • 4,000 ft aeg
I was in my "it's summer, it's to hot in the canyon" mindset but then I wanted to hike and wasn't inspired by Sedona or Flagstaff hikes. So I told myself this hike would be good training for hiking in the heat of the canyon, plus I needed some elevation training.

I headed down bright angel at sunrise with the idea to explore below plateau point, find some ruins, and maybe tag battleship on my return to the rim. It was overcast and around 8am thunder started to the east. I was below Indian Garden by this point so I opted to find some shelter in the tapeats. I found a large overhang that had clearly been camped under before. I was >10ft above a streambed so I felt I'd have some warning in case of flash flood, and I had lots of space on flat boulders beneath the overhang. There were two charcoal names on the wall of the overhang - R.N.GOODE from New York City and A.B.GRRETT (Garrett?) dated May 6 1890. That was pretty cool, but I haven't figured out who these people were yet. I spent almost 1.5 hours here and stayed pleasantly warm and dry.

Searching for a break in the tapeats, I first started down the wrong ravine and cliffed out. My intended canyon was further west and a pretty comfortable/ fun scramble. I didn't see the alleged pine tree but I didn't spend time looking. On my way through the tapeats I found a small pothole with teeny frogs hopping all about. They were so dang cute, I love frogs.

I headed east along the bottom of the Tapeats following a sheep trail. There were so many sheep tracks down there - some just since the storm. Nothing felt exposed but there was some awkward talus-hopping and bushwacking. A clearer human use trail eventually appeared on a little plateau below me and this was faster-going. It clung to the base of the tapeats, where less vegetation grows, and only disappeared for a bit below the cliff I'd approached from above. I saw the water pipe and electrical cable and passed below Plateau point, where a good assortment of water bottles, broken sunglasses, and hats were scattered on the slope. I retrieved some of these (even a big flag - really people?) and I'm bummed I didn't find nice sunglasses to keep. There's a nice view of garden falls along this route and it's spectacular - another thing on my to-do list.

I also visited some pueblo ruins, a fairly intact granary, and well-preserved pictographs on this trip. These were all very cool. I found a cute rattlesnake inside a stone alcove (I assume white-man construction). I think I saw a tarantula hawk flying along the bright angel trail at one point.

The hike out did not feel like a piece of cake :( time to whip myself back in shape. About a mile from the rim, the sun finally popped out.
1 mi • 1 ft aeg
Joel and I had been mulling over a summit off the north rim for most of the summer, but various factors prevented us from linking up until this Labor Day Weekend. After going over several options off the north rim, we committed to Freya Castle, as it had just enough technical aspects to keep it interesting and on paper it did not appear to be as committing as some of the other ones on our radar up there.

We set off at 6:15 a.m. on the paved Cape Royal Trail, which couldn’t have been any more dissimilar than the terrain we would encounter the rest of the way. From the far point, we dropped off tourist left down a steep slope and then quickly encountered a series of manageable Kaibab shelves, before reaching the crux of the Kaibab layer descent; A narrow ledge traverse and semi committing step over where the ledge is most narrow. Two stayed upright, two crawled. From there, it was a couple of class four down climbs to reach the steep slopes and traverse that would take us to our coconino “break.” I use the term break loosely, as this break would require two rappels to clear. We left fixed lines at both rappels to ascend on our return. Once at the base of the coco, we began a slightly taxing, but short traverse to the saddle of Freya Castle, which was made less fun by the warm morning. From the saddle, we gained a couple of hills and then completed a quarter mile traverse along the base of Freya to a bit of a gully and the first obvious class three terrain that goes all the way to the summit. Most of this traverse was in the shade and I personally felt it went easier than the half mile we traversed to the saddle. The class three ascent to the summit was warm, steep and loose.

The summit offered a nice vantage point to Vishnu and the muddy Colorado bending through the Unkar Delta, however, the sun was hot, so we spent most of our time hunkered down in the shade, trying to force down enough food to prevent us from bonking on our return. We were all partially successful in that endeavor. The traverse back to the coco break felt more tedious on the return and the sun was hotter, but we persevered and were rewarded with a shady first jug out and scramble to our final fixed line.

Overall, it was an engaging, fun, sometimes warm, but rewarding ten hours below the rim. It was nice to finally link up with Joel for a significant summit, after admiring his work in the Canyon from afar for years now. I thought the four of us made a great team and I had a lot of fun in route to my 54th Grand Canyon summit.
2 mi • 1,193 ft aeg
The top 500 feet of this Trail is ridiculously congested with picture takers, but beyond that there is no one! It is almost a little creepy going from hundreds of people to none, but only in a good way when it comes to solitude on the trail! :)

I was with my kids, so as usual it was not an early start. :( Thus, we didn't go down far at all, but it was nice to try a trail I haven't been on before. We loved the views! Given that the trail is rather exposed, there is nothing in the way of the view!

Last time I went on the Tanner trail, the camp host at the desert view Campground told me that the Tanner trail was absolutely horrible, and that I should go to the Grandview trail instead. I have to say that I disagree. I think the Tanner trail is in much better shape than Grandview. Grandview looks like it has experienced a lot of erosion over time, there are literally holes in the trail that have washed away, and areas where the trail is almost gone. The trail is very narrow in some points for this reason. This combined with the exposure can make it a bit treacherous. I never felt that way on the Tanner trail at all. I guess on Tanner you have to climb over a bunch of rocks here and there, but the exposure is much less near the top of the canyon anyway. I know Grandview is a popular backpacking trail, but I personally would make sure my pack was very small, light, and manageable in order to feel safe on this trail!

The paved cobblestone areas of the trail are neat. The maintained trail must have been a sight to see.

We continued down only a mile before turning around due to heat and disgruntled hikers (sadly, my kids don't love hiking). I would like to come back and do the loop halfway down. Another day!! We loved the spectacular views on this trail!
25.75 mi • 1,345 ft aeg
Grand Canyon Rim Trail & Hermit's Rest bike
The Rim is hilly! Who knew? I started by Bright Angel Bikes, rode the paths to the Hermit Road, and then out the road to Monument Point, after which it's okay to ride on the rim path. Then to the Hermit trailhead. I stopped a lot along the way, chatted with other cyclists and walkers, and looked at the views. The other folks were from places such as Italy, New Zealand, and Oklahoma.

Then I rode back to near the Visitor Center, but instead of going to my car, I figured I'd check out the trail in the other direction. So, I rode to the South Kaibab Trailhead near Yaki Point. This route was a bit too busy with tourists in places. Glad I went on a weekday.

It was my first visit to the S. Rim since October 2019, when I hiked down the Bright Angel Trail to meet a private river trip. I've been on another river trip since then, and I drive down Diamond Creek Road for my job about 3X a week, all summer, but somehow, I don't seem to get myself to the Rim. It was about time, and it encouraged me to think about backpacking the Canyon again. I'll have to actually start hiking again...

Techie info: The bike is a Salsa Journeyman flatbar Sora 700, size XS. It's supposed to be a gravel touring bike. The newer models have dropped the "sexist" name, and they are now called the Journeyer. I have some buyer's regret, for a lot of reasons, but it's still a pretty nice ride. I've had it for a couple of years. It didn't come with a granny low, and I had the gearing completely changed. What they were able to install still does not have a very low granny gear. I've been on a couple of short tours with it. On dirt, I'd prefer my mountain bike and BOB trailer. For pavement touring, I'm looking at getting a traditional touring bike, maybe next year. No, not a Surly. A Kona Sutra, or a Fuji.
1 mi • 0 ft aeg
After the cave we headed up to the canyon. Original plan was a jaunt down Hermit, some concerns about kid endurance kept us to the Rim. Took Hermit bus to Hopi, picnic lunch, then walked to Mohave. Flirted with continuing to Hermits Rest but… 2 adults with 5 kids along that trail, with the kids messing around and those drops, no railing… called it v early. With hindsight I wish we would’ve done a section of the trail closer to the village with more protection. Oh well, we got to see some cool views all the way down to the river along this section.
14.59 mi • 5,082 ft aeg
Grandview Horseshoe Mesa Loop May22
Went out to Grandview last week for a multi-day on and around Horseshoe Mesa with my buddy Bryan. This was a very similar trip to one we took together exactly 8 years ago. We hiked down to Horseshoe Mesa and set up camp in the early afternoon… temps were getting above 90 but the wind gusts were approaching 40mph! Not so good for sleeping in a tent (as we would experience later that evening), but helped us get through the hot afternoon without feeling like we were baking while we rested. And rest we did after carrying 7-8 liters of water each down the short (3 miles) but steep Grandview trail. Water that would have to last us until the following afternoon. Plan was to camp overnight on the Mesa, then hike down to Tonto trail the next morning and day hike (clockwise) around Horseshoe Mesa and then back up to camp via Page spring trail.

We left early the next morning and enjoyed the beautiful day and cooler morning temps. Only took a few hours to hike the 6 miles or so around to the east side of Horseshoe Mesa and our most important stop… Hance Creek to fill up our bladders. Hance is perennial and, according to NPS, totally reliable… all I can say is that it was certainly flowing and a beautiful site this past Friday! We took our time enjoying the creek and shade before starting the grueling hike back up to camp on the Mesa with an additional 6 or so liters of water each. IMPORTANT NOTE: at the time of our trip, the NPS had just issued a HEALTH WARNING FOR ALL GC WATER SOURCES. Due to a number of hikers contracting a virus, it was advised that all water sources be filtered AND purified.

The hike back up to Mesa from Hance creek is only about 1.5 miles, but you have to gain about 1000’ in the last mile and the trail is filled with loose rock and includes a number of class 4 climbs. Unfortunately, we did not make the small side trip over to the beautiful Page (Miners) Spring… the other warning from NPS was that this source had been found to contain potentially unsafe levels of arsenic… no thanks. Back up at camp we relaxed the rest of the afternoon while the wind continued to blow… finally settling to an easy breeze at about 6pm… dinner time. Pad Thai noodles, chocolate chip cookie bites and some bourbon later, we hit the sack early and crashed hard…what a day!

Waking up early Sat morning, we enjoyed the sunrise, made some coffee and breakfast while breaking down camp and packing up. The hike out would be another grind… about 2,500’ of elevation over 3 miles. But, I would do it again tomorrow… what a hike and what a great trip!
23.72 mi • 7,727 ft aeg
Most magical hike of the GC so far! This is the GC spectacular. Seriously, this hike has it all. All the indescribable views, all the adventure, all the giant waterfalls, narrows, springs, wide open esplanade, ALL the fantastic ups, everything wonderful and nothing terrible.

DAY 1: Bill Hall TH to Deer Creek Camp AX7 (~8 hours, 8.7 miles, 634 ft aeg)
We camped up near the Bill Hall TH Saturday evening and started hiking around 7:30 am Sunday. Got all warmed up hiking the little bit of up to Monument Point before heading down down down...and then some more down. The views the entire hike down this section through the Kaibab, Toroweap, and Coconino Sandstone Formations are majestic. There are a couple of areas we had to sit & scooch or drop a bag down but nothing of any difficulty. It is pretty slow moving over the first couple of miles though. We reached the Thunder River Trail connection around 9:30 am and a couple of people in our group stashed water for the hike back out. From this point, the hike down is less steep and fairly smooth moving across the Esplanade. The Esplanade is an alien world and I love everything about it. Some of the people in our group were starting to get pretty warm hiking across the Esplanade; the rest of us were just in awe of the wild rock sculptures. We stashed water in the rock pockets just above the Redwall decent, chatted with a Park Ranger and showed him our permit, and headed down around 11:30 am. We were all feeling the heat now. The hike down the Supai and Redwall Formations to Surprise Valley is really hot mid-day, even in the cool Spring months. And it's A LOT, even going down. But the views are fantastic and that helps to ease the physical part. The fork in the trail (right to Deer Creek, left to Thunder River and Tapeats Creek) is marked by a couple of tall sticks haha. No formal sign or anything so keep an eye out. At the intersection, we headed west on the Deer Creek Trail. This is where it began to feel like the trail would never end & the sun/heat was sucking the energy out of me. I got a boost of energy as we started to descend toward Deer Creek buuuuut slowly realized there was still a long way to go. There's a sketchy turn in the descent and a sketchy crossing of scree but the narrow turn is super short and the scree is stable. AND this is right around the point where Deer Spring is visible. Finally FINALLY beautiful cold water! We played in the spring for a while, climbed up behind the waterfall, got refreshed and cooled down. There were rafters at the spring who had hiked up from the river and they looked much less rough than we did. We left the spring and just a few hundred feet down reached Deer Creek. A few from our group were hanging out under the big beautiful Cottonwood tree just as the trail meets Deer Creek. We all trudged the final half mile to the campground in a daze. Everything looked like a paradise after the hot long miles we had just come from. We got to Deer Creek camp (AX7) around 3:30 pm and found our perfect shady spots to set up camp.

DAY 2: Deer Creek Camp to Deer Creek Falls and Back (~2 hours hiking time, 1.5 miles, 500 ft aeg)
After a peaceful and beautiful night's sleep in the canyon, we woke up Monday and packed day packs to head down to Deer Creek Falls and the Colorado River. Whatever we were feeling from the day before, the Deer Creek Narrows awakened something special in every one of us. This is a sacred place. I felt like I was moving through a place where words lost meaning and people were instantly calmed and quiet. The narrows feel enormous but there are a handful of tight squeezes as you move closer to the river. A small daypack was fine but I would not want to carry a backpacking pack through the tight parts. There were groups of rafters moving through the Narrows as we headed down and everyone was kind and friendly. At the end of the Narrows you walk out of the canyon and get a spectacular view of the Colorado River...and 50 rafts on either side. Woah. It's a strange feeling to go from quiet & solitude to a bustling city of rafting trips. After a few switchbacks and a steep drop down along the trail...the great ginormous Deer Creek Falls in all its glory. We hung out at the falls (most of our group jumped in!) for about an hour before the people thinned out & the rafts left & we had the place to ourselves. What a treat! The GC is amazing. There are entire perfect worlds tucked away in her canyons. Deer Creek Falls and the Narrows are definitely one of the most magical canyon worlds. We hiked back up to camp & got ready for our early start the next day. Oh and hikers who came in late saw the pink rattler up near the toilet! We tried to find them but weren't as lucky.

DAY 3: Deer Creek Camp AX7 to Upper Tapeats Camp AW7 (~6 hours, 5.5 miles, 1,400 ft aeg)
Got up early to beat the heat & started hiking around 4:30 am. About a half mile in the trail splits & we stayed left to take the high route. We hiked a few miles of the river trail in darkness but it was straightforward to navigate. As soon as the sky started to fill with light the views of the Colorado River were unbelievable. We came to the "climb" at the mouth of Bonita Creek around 7 am and it is not bad at all coming from the Deer Creek side. Most of our group scrambled up with no problem. I passed my bag up & someone threw a handline down to me but I didn't need it. Honestly, it looked like a totally different story looking down from the top so I'm happy we got to climb up instead of down. We got to Tapeats Creek, took a break, and headed up and up and up and up. It felt like the up was never-ending. The trail along Tapeats Creek definitely had the most sketchy sections of trail (narrow trail with steep drops) and there were many of these sections. Those actually didn't bother me even though I'm afraid of heights but they bothered others in our group who are good climbers so go figure. The hike up Tapeats Creek has the most insanely incredible views of the entire trip the ENTIRE hike up! Maybe I was too obsessed with the views to notice how sketchy the trail was. We got to Upper Tapeats campsite (AW7) around 10:30 am and basically plopped down in the creek & sat there forever to cool down. There is not much shade during the day at the Upper Tapeats camp but luckily the water is right there & is nice & cold. We explored the little moss-covered waterfalls upstream and explored the rock ledges above our camp where my friend found a sleepy rattlesnake. One person in our group had bad blisters and another was feeling very anxious about the heat so we decided to only stay one night out of our planned two nights at Upper Tapeats. It was for the best since a group the same size as ours came to camp and wanted to stay at the site we were already set up at. We decided to hike to Thunder Spring in the morning and hang out there all day until evening when the sun would be blocked.

DAY 4: Upper Tapeats Camp AW7 to the Esplanade (~4.5 hours, 3.4 miles, 3,160 ft aeg)
Got started around 10:30 am and hiked one hour (0.7 miles and around 1000 ft elevation gain) to reach Thunder Spring. And that's where we stayed until 5 pm. :sweat: Thunder River Falls is like a magical fairyland if fairies were into death metal. There are beautiful moss-covered pockets and crystal clear water and it is LOUD. It was a fun relaxing place to spend the day. We all made some food & filled up with cold water and headed on up to Surprise Valley with the sun blocked the whole way up. Surprise Valley was lovely in this light and seemed more lovely and interesting on this side compared with the Deer Creek side. We powered up the Redwall (which surprisingly felt much better going up vs going down - probably because of the lack of direct sun) and made it to the top and to the Esplanade just as it got dark (around 7:10 pm). The rest of our group got to the top and we found our water cache in the rock pockets where we had left it. At that point, it was 8:30 pm & dark dark. Hiking the Esplanade in the dark was too difficult so we decided to sleep on the rocks (not disturbing the cryptobiotic soil) and hike out in the morning. It was a crazy windy night but we were happy to have one big "up" behind us and a great view of the stars above.

DAY 5: Esplanade to Bill Hall TH (~4 hours, 4.6 miles, 2,025 ft aeg)
Morning Esplanade! I sure love this place. Started hiking at 7 am and reached the Thunder River Trail connection and the second stash of water an hour & 20 minutes later. Now for the real fun part. Those final 2.25 miles were a struggle and a half. But I just kept up my little train that could - slow & steady choo choo. We saw a number of groups heading down as we went up. It's funny, everyone wants to chat heading down but the feeling is not mutual going up. We took a break in the cave and kept going for the final push to the top. Made it to Monument Point at 10:30 am and what a relief! It did not feel like 3 1/2 hours...more like 10. Epic epic everything.

Seriously, I want to live here. Or visit all the time. It's all hard. And usually hot. And pretty darn real. And I think people probably come out changed. These places will be a part of me forever. They are that special and I'm grateful to get to visit.
42 mi • 5,000 ft aeg
It had been 11 years since my brother John had flown out from Michigan to bag Whitney and Langley on a 46 mile loop in California's High Sierra. It kicked my :pk: , but we were due for another trip.
I had eliminated the Royal Arch Loop from my solo Bucket List due to the rappel, but John and I had done some climbing together so it seemed like a good choice.
I had hoped that the closure of the reservation would be over by our permit date, but it was not the case.
Some people have posted that they drove to the trailhead anyway, but those roads are officially closed.
We started on Sunday, knocking off the first easy seven to the dry trailhead for the night. We carried 64 oz for the evening and morning, and cached 32 for the way out.
Day 2 was a monster - our goal was Royal Arch where we knew we would have good water. 14 miles of progressively more difficult trail then route. I've done over 200 miles of trails in the canyon, along with the Utah Flats and Escalante Routes, and this was easily equal to all of the hard parts of them put together. I had never even taken my pack off for an obstacle, and I took it off at least 6 times. We arrived at the Arch at 9:30 pm.
The next morning we talked and decided that a recovery and rehydration day would be a smart choice, and that returning the way we came would make more sense after the loss of a hiking day. This allowed us to spend an entire day at the Arch, kicking back and enjoying the slowly changing light on it's towering architecture.
The gentle sound of running water, the slight echo off the stone walls, and an ever-changing chorus of frogs serenaded us through the day. Bliss.
This plan allowed us two days to cover the 14 mile return to the rim, and we stopped about halfway after replenishing our water at one of the good, clear pools found in the Royal Arch East drainage. John found some Mountain Lion tracks in the sand, and now that we were out of the narrow canyon we had a nice view of the moonless night stars. It's probably been at least 10 years since I have seen the Milky Way - I usually plan my trips for the Full Moon.
We arrived at the rim camp right on schedule, finding a Toyota Tacoma in the parking area that was not there when we arrived, but had not seen anyone on the trial the whole time. Odd.
I had time to wander a bit, and found a nice open view of the canyon about 200 yards west of the trailhead, where we watched the sunset on our last night.
The hike back to the truck was punctuated by free-roaming horses who we kept spooking up the trail. You could feel the vibration of their gallop in the Earth -a wonderful, slightly scary sensation.
I hope the Forest Service opens and improves the "road". I understand the right of the tribes to not allow access to cross their land, but now that an alternative illegal route is developing they might as well make the best of it. As it stands, the road requires high clearance and 4WD is recommended.
We had an InReach Mini, but it did not work almost anywhere in Royal Arch canyon. We had some luck at the ledge pour off below the Arch, but even that was hit or miss. Apparently you need a big piece of sky above you.
Royal Arch is spectacular. It's location deep in a canyon makes it both grand and intimate. The work required to get there was substantial, but experiences like these rarely come easy.
6.9 mi • 4,435 ft aeg
A Tanner-Grandview backpack cut short due to a hiking partner's knee issue we needed to ascend the Red Canyon (New Hance) Trail. I had sworn off of this punkin' trail about 20 years ago when I descended it, and with a 5-day, bad weather backpack I reaffirmed my disdain. It was a beast uphill with a backpack. Not for the faint.

end of page marker