To Burro Flats Trailhead
High Clearance possible when dry
Route to Garfias/Horse/Burro Trailheads
From Phoenix head north on I-17 to the Carefree Highway (SR74)
Two routes are possible, the first preferable for those not in a hurry and driving vehicles with no 4wd and medium clearance. Follow 17 north from Phoenix to the Carefree Highway, head west to Castle Hot Springs Road, take this north approximately 9.7 miles, then left for another 7 miles, during which you will pass the old Castle Hot Springs Resort, an amazing piece of history currently off limits and under reconstruction. The road will stop at a T intersection, turn left ( west ) to continue on Castle Hot Springs Road for another 5.8 miles to unimproved road on your left ( south ). There should be some signage with land usage rules. Take this south for another 2.5 to access the Horse Spring trailhead, then about .8 miles to the Burro Spring Trailhead.
The second route requires higher ground clearance and possibly 4wd, depending on tire size and tread. It should not be attempted during heavy rains in the area. Instead of turning off Carefree Highway on to Castle Hot Springs road, continue west another 1.3 miles , then turn right and reset your odometer. Head north on the asphalt road leading to the Morgan City Wash, 1.1 miles further. Turn left and head northwest in the bottom of the wash, following the main drainage upward. Ignore the turnoff for #10 to the left after 4.5 miles, continuing on to 5.6 miles to a cattle gate. Pass through and follow the wash until mile 7.7, where you will see a windmill and water tank on your right, immediately after, turn up out of the wash to the right and head northeast. At mile 9.1 you should see a metal trailhead log podium for Burro Springs on your right.
Both ways require topos for accurate navigation, GPS is helpfull but not necassary.
Detailed route from 1-17 for car route:
1) Take the AZ-74 exit 223 to Wickenburg - go 0.4 mi
2) Continue on W Carefree Hwy toward Wickenburg - go 1.9 mi
3) Continue on AZ-74 - go 2.1 mi
4) Continue on W AZ-74 - go 2.4 mi
5) Continue on N Lake Pleasant Rd - go 2.7 mi
6) Continue on AZ-74 - go 2.4 mi
7) Turn right at Castle Hot Springs Rd - go 8.0 mi
8) Bear left at N Castle Hot Springs Rd - go 1.6 mi
9) Continue toward N Castle Hot Springs Rd - go 0.4 mi
10) Continue on N Castle Hot Springs Rd - go 4.7 mi
11) Turn left at Castle Hot Springs Rd - go 0.9 mi
12) Turn left at N Castle Hot Springs Rd - go 7.9 mi
13) Arrive at 33.933300, -112.415900 (Trailhead)
Please note: The road is frequently closed due to flooding since the creek bed is the road for a section.From PHX (I-10 & AZ-51) - 80.0 mi, 2 hours 17 minsFrom TUC (Jct 1-10 & Grant) - 185 mi, 3 hours 57 minsFrom FLG (Jct I-17 & I-40) - 164 mi, 3 hours 26 mins