Find
Map
Post
Find
Aa
username
X
password
register help
Fira to Oia Santorini, WW
details
drive
no permit
forecast
route
stats
11
1
0
topics
nearby
Overview:
Although there are many hiking trails around Santorini, the trail from Fira (pronounced: fear-uh) to Oia (pronounced: ee-uh) is probably the most well known. This path traces an historical overland route between two villages on the Cycladic Island of Santorini. Allow up to 2.5hours to complete the walk, if headed north. Add another 15 minutes for hiking south. All stats are for one-way.

Route Finding:
The route is well known and well traveled, but there are still two points may present some mild difficulty. Both are in the village of Imerovigli. The "trail" quickly becomes lost in a maze of pedestrian-only pathways. If you get lost, just ask a local to point you in the right direction. There are limited and inconsistent trail signs with red lettering indicating walking time to Oia. Don't rely on these though. Also, do not rely on Google Maps, as it does not recognize the hiking trail and will direct you to take the road. The best option is download the route scout track right here on HAZ :)


Hike:
About 10% of the path is walking through narrow, winding pedestrian streets. The other 90% is a collection of cobblestone paths and gravel hiking trails, all of which offer stunning views of the volcanic caldera below. The best time of day to do this hike is in the late afternoon. Time it right so that you can watch the sunset from the hill above Oia.

Water Sources:
With the exception of some historic wells, all drinking water on the island is provided by a seawater desalination plant. There's no surface water, so be prepared with 1-2 liters of drinking water for the hike.
Description 1 Triplog  0 Topics
RatedFavorite  
Wish List
 Region
 
0
0
 Europe, WW
HAZ reminds you to respect the ruins. Please read the Archaeological Resources Protection Act of 1979 & Ruins Etiquette
Statistics
clicktap icons for details
Difficulty 1.5 of 5
Route Finding 2 of 5
Distance One Way 5.34 miles
Trailhead Elevation 914 feet
Accumulated Gain 985 feet
Avg Time One Way 2.25
Kokopelli Seeds 8.62
Interest Ruins & Historic
Author arizona_water
Descriptions 8
Routes 64
Photos 693
Trips 72 map ( 908 miles )
Age 27
Location SaltRiver Valley
Photos
Viewed All Mine Following
11  2017-05-30 arizona_water
Historical Weather
Trailhead Forecast
Radar
Backpack   No
Preferred   Oct, Mar, Apr, May
Seasons   Early Autumn to Early Summer
Sun  8:36pm - 10:08am
Dogs not allowed
Route Scout
import queue
Official Route
 
Alternative Routes
 
Water
Nearby Area Water
[ View More! ]
Island Exercise
by arizona_water

Overview:
Although there are many hiking trails around Santorini, the trail from Fira (pronounced: fear-uh) to Oia (pronounced: ee-uh) is probably the most well known. This path traces an historical overland route between two villages on the Cycladic Island of Santorini. Allow up to 2.5hours to complete the walk, if headed north. Add another 15 minutes for hiking south. All stats are for one-way.

Route Finding:
The route is well known and well traveled, but there are still two points may present some mild difficulty. Both are in the village of Imerovigli. The "trail" quickly becomes lost in a maze of pedestrian-only pathways. If you get lost, just ask a local to point you in the right direction. There are limited and inconsistent trail signs with red lettering indicating walking time to Oia. Don't rely on these though. Also, do not rely on Google Maps, as it does not recognize the hiking trail and will direct you to take the road. The best option is download the route scout track right here on HAZ :)


Hike:
About 10% of the path is walking through narrow, winding pedestrian streets. The other 90% is a collection of cobblestone paths and gravel hiking trails, all of which offer stunning views of the volcanic caldera below. The best time of day to do this hike is in the late afternoon. Time it right so that you can watch the sunset from the hill above Oia.

Water Sources:
With the exception of some historic wells, all drinking water on the island is provided by a seawater desalination plant. There's no surface water, so be prepared with 1-2 liters of drinking water for the hike.
© 2017 hikearizona.com

-

    One-Way Notice: This hike is listed as One-Way. When you hike several trails on a single "hike", log it with a generic name that describes the hike. Then link the trails traveled, check out the example.
    WARNING! Hiking and outdoor related sports can be dangerous. Be responsible and prepare for the trip. Study the area you are entering and plan accordingly. Dress for the current and unexpected weather changes. Take plenty of water. Never go alone. Make an itinerary with your plan(s), route(s), destination(s) and expected return time. Give your itinerary to trusted family and/or friends.

    Permit $$
    None


    Directions
    Map Drive
    or
    Road
    Paved - Car Okay

    To hike
    From Fira, walk west to the pedestrian road that runs along the rim of the caldera. Begin walking north along this path. After a kilometer, you will see a small sign with red letters indicating a walking route to Oia.
    page created by arizona_water on Jun 16 2017 9:37 am
    90+° 8am - 6pm kills
    stay out of the scorching sun
    prehydrate & stay hydrated
    About
    FAQ
    contact
    Shop
    © 2017 HAZ

    In Season hikes at...
    Mount Graham Study Area