Linked Guide  • Coronado Mesa, AZ
Type Standard Hike, Climb, etc

Start Date 2017-01-01

# of days 1

outdoor_lover
City, State: Scottsdale, AZ

6th Annual New Year's Day Hike

Post by outdoor_lover » Nov 12 2016 10:10 am

6th Annual New Year's Day Hike! Thought I would go ahead and give you a Head's Up that I am still doing it this Time around. Unlike Past Years however, I will not be selecting our Destination until probably just before Christmas. But I can tell you that it will probably be the Easiest Peak Bag yet for this Event and most likely it will also have a Trail. Scrambling for me is most likely not an Option this Year. Although I always try to pick something that most can do, the Peak we do will be more heavily based on what I will be able to do this Year. I am leaning towards being out beyond the NW Side of Town this Year, but no Promises there either. But know that the Criteria for being just a Tad out of Town is still in Place. I hope you decide to join me to Ring in the New Year even if it's an Easier Hike than Normal.... :D

Start Time 9:00 A.M.
Parking: State Route 88 (Apache Trail). Go 4.1 Miles past the Creek Crossing at Tortilla Flat to FR 80 (Dirt Road on Left) It will not have a Standard FR Marker, but a Faded Wood Post that just says 80 on it. There is also Construction Signage at the Intersection. (If you hit the Dirt Section of the Apache Trail, you've gone too far.) Turn Left onto 80 and go about 100 Yards to FR 3507 on your Right. Turn Right. The Road will Fork, with a short Road going down into the Drainage. Stay Straight on the Main Road and you will enter a large Clearing with several Flat Fire Circles. Lots of Parking here, but stay away from the Fire Pits as there have been Pallets Burned there, lots of Nails. Unless you have a extreme Low Rider Vehicle, you will have no Problems with getting to the Parking Area.
Last edited by outdoor_lover on Dec 20 2016 10:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty & well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, totally worn out & proclaiming, "Wow What a Ride!"

outdoor_lover

Re: 6th Annual New Year's Day Hike

Post by outdoor_lover » Dec 08 2016 2:49 pm

@Tortoise_Hiker
How about the Standard 9:00 A.M. Everybody can sleep in a tad after New Year's Eve... :sweat:
Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty & well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, totally worn out & proclaiming, "Wow What a Ride!"

SuperstitionGuy
City, State: Apache Junction, Arizona

Post by SuperstitionGuy » Dec 16 2016 2:35 pm

I hiked 2/3rds of it yesterday and it was very dry and boring on the mesa. The mesa experienced a fire a few years ago so it is easy to hike but terrible to look at. I am sure the remaining plants are appreciating the rain we had last night, this morning and what else will come the next 24 hours. I only turned around early because I was experiencing sharp pain in my left foot and I did not want to aggravate it any more than necessary. Lots of parking at the end of the side road off of the road to the dam. You all have fun now when you hike it on the first...
A man's body may grow old, but inside his spirit can still be as young and restless as ever.
- Garth McCann from the movie Second Hand Lions

Another victim of Pixel Trivia.

Current avatar courtesy of Snakemarks

Jim_H
City, State: Phoenix, AZ

Post by Jim_H » Dec 17 2016 8:25 pm

@outdoor_lover
9 AM start, or meeting at some place in town?
:o

outdoor_lover

Post by outdoor_lover » Dec 17 2016 10:16 pm

@Jim_H
9:00 A.M. Start. I'll Post the "TH" Parking Spot Directions after I go out and Scout it... Carpooling is always an Option but tends to be worked out via Message. If People want to meet somewhere along the 60, I can probably take 3 more. I'll be coming from the Chandler/Gilbert Area....

Jim_H

Post by Jim_H » Dec 18 2016 7:47 am

9 AM? In winter? I'm out!
:o

JasonCleghorn

Post by JasonCleghorn » Dec 19 2016 11:41 am

Jim_H wrote:9 AM? In winter? I'm out!
Just like some/most of us would be 'out' if it was 12 PM or 3PM...
Follow me on Instagram: hikingjason
"It's not the mountains that we conquer, but ourselves"
"HAZ is not a meet-up group. Unless you're in the IN group, then its a meet-up group"

outdoor_lover

Post by outdoor_lover » Dec 20 2016 10:38 pm

I have Updated the Original Post with the Start Time and Driving/Parking to get there. I went out today and Scouted it out and did some Exploring on 80 since I've never been down there...Just Gorgeous Country and although the Hike doesn't look like much from the Parking Area, the Views are going to be Amazing, I can't Wait! Also saw a Male Coatimundi about 100 Yards from the Parking Area, crossing 80. I tried to get out into the Desert with him and get some Shots, but although I reacquired him twice, it was Brushy, he was Quick and I never got a Shot off... :-( Very Cool to see him though. He appeared to be heading down into a Major Drainage, it was late in the Day and there are probably some Pools down there.... And since no one has said anything to me to the Contrary, Dogs are Fine on this Trip as long as you and the Dog are good with Cactus which, Off-Trail in the Supes, is pretty Typical....

outdoor_lover

Post by outdoor_lover » Dec 28 2016 6:59 pm

For those of you that are On the Fence, if you think you can decide very soon so I can get a more Accurate Head Count, that would be helpful. If you can't decide but may show up, at least put yourself in "Interested" if you haven't already, so I can plan also... Thanks and see some of you very soon!

kingsnake
City, State: Sunnyslope, PHX

Post by kingsnake » Dec 29 2016 8:11 pm

Pretty certain I will be there. Haven't see you guys since last year at Roblas Butte. :)
http://prestonm.com : Everyone's enjoyment of the outdoors is different and should be equally honored.

SpiderLegs
City, State: Tucson, AZ

Post by SpiderLegs » Dec 30 2016 8:08 am

Unless it's raining both of us will be there.
See my pics on Instagram @tucsonexplorer

Hippy
City, State: Grand Canyon

Post by Hippy » Dec 30 2016 11:03 am

Anyone driving down from North Phoenix wanna carpool?

JasonCleghorn

Post by JasonCleghorn » Dec 30 2016 6:54 pm

Alas, I am sick as a dog... :(
Follow me on Instagram: hikingjason
"It's not the mountains that we conquer, but ourselves"
"HAZ is not a meet-up group. Unless you're in the IN group, then its a meet-up group"

trekkin_gecko
City, State: phoenix, az

Post by trekkin_gecko » Dec 31 2016 1:46 am

putting myself back to interested
would like to see y'all, but it depends on weather

current trailhead forecast:

New Year's Day: Showers and possibly a thunderstorm. Some of the storms could produce heavy rainfall. High near 52. South wind around 10 mph. Chance of precipitation is 100%. New rainfall amounts between a quarter and half of an inch possible.

outdoor_lover

Post by outdoor_lover » Dec 31 2016 10:49 am

@trekkin_gecko
No Worries, I expect that...

I will be going regardless of the Weather. I will also be bringing a Big Tarp that can be set up in the Parking Area so if you're a Die Hard and are still willing to come, bring a Chair and we can also hang out under the Tarp before and after the Hike.... I may even bring a smaller Tarp to take on the Hike, lol Be Prepared for Rain AND Wind.... If this ends up being a Solo Hike on my Part, so be it...

Hippy
City, State: Grand Canyon

Post by Hippy » Dec 31 2016 12:07 pm

Just realized this is a very short hike. :lol: Count me out, have a great New Year hike everyone!

outdoor_lover

Post by outdoor_lover » Dec 31 2016 2:32 pm

I will be going out early to Tortilla Flat. In the chance that we get heavy Rainfall Overnight, the Crossing at Tortilla Flat may become a Problem. If it is, I will be sitting at my Vehicle at Tortilla Flat and we can Meet there for a Plan B Hike that I will have in place...

Barrett

Post by Barrett » Dec 31 2016 2:43 pm

Some things have come up, and I was on the edge of cancelling - the rain forecast just made it a little easier. I can blame the weather. :oops:
I'm sure whoever makes it will find the company warm and the bubbly cold - unless someone thinks of hot chocolate!
Thanks again Pam for the effort - enjoy.
HAZzy New Year everyone! :y:
The past, the present, and the future walked into a bar.
It was tense.

kingsnake
City, State: Sunnyslope, PHX

Post by kingsnake » Dec 31 2016 2:59 pm

I will be there regardless of weather. If it ain't rainin', it ain't trainin'!
http://prestonm.com : Everyone's enjoyment of the outdoors is different and should be equally honored.

tibber

Post by tibber » Dec 31 2016 5:20 pm

well you all know I'm normally a wimp for bad weather and this forecast just doesn't look good :( . As much as I love being with fellow HAZers, I'd really like to do the hike too with a caveat if I'm going up, I need to see what's below. I have also saved a tub of huckleberry fudge to share but I'm leaning toward a no-go....

too bad it's not until Monday where the forecast is MUCH better.
For me, sometimes it's just as much about the journey as the destination.
Oh, and once in awhile, don't forget to look back at the trail you've traveled.

SuperstitionGuy
City, State: Apache Junction, Arizona

Post by SuperstitionGuy » Dec 31 2016 5:36 pm

tibber wrote:too bad it's not until Monday where the forecast is MUCH better.
I will go with you on Monday as long as the fudge does as well. :y:
A man's body may grow old, but inside his spirit can still be as young and restless as ever.
- Garth McCann from the movie Second Hand Lions

Another victim of Pixel Trivia.

Current avatar courtesy of Snakemarks

Return to “Hiking Events”