Moderator: HAZ - Moderators

Linked Guides none
Linked Areas none
WilliamnWendi
Frame-a-pelli
City, State: Phoenix, Az

Rabies Exposure

Post by WilliamnWendi » Mar 07 2012 1:19 pm

I finally got around to going back over my reading on rabies to refresh my mind on the topic, which was straying off the topic of 10 Essentials of Hiking. I wanted to share this from the CDC website.http://www.cdc.gov/rabies/exposure/materials.html
Rabies virus is transmitted through saliva and brain/nervous system tissue. Only these specific bodily excretions and tissues transmit rabies virus. If contact with either of these has occurred, the type of exposure should be evaluated to determine if postexposure prophylaxis is necessary.

Contact such as petting or handling an animal, or contact with blood, urine or feces does not constitute an exposure. No postexposure prophylaxis is needed in these situations.

Rabies virus becomes noninfectious when it dries out and when it is exposed to sunlight. Different environmental conditions affect the rate at which the virus becomes inactive, but in general, if the material containing the virus is dry, the virus can be considered noninfectious.
Reading it now, I am not sure if this confirms or as I suspect rejects my thinking that exposure to bone marrow can transmit rabies. Looks like Saliva, Brain matter, and "Nervous System" (Spinal Cord?/NOT bone marrow?)

This matters to those who might be in a survival situation come across animal remains/possible food source. The potential for exposure to rabies can be present not only from the animal itself, but also in the saliva left on the remains by the initial predator or subsequent scavengers. Unless this person knows for sure conditions of this animal death(Meaning the health of the animal itself and that of subsequent animal contact) eating that meat and especially brain matter increases your exposure.
The Tree of Understanding, dazzling, straight, and simple, sprouts by the spring called Now I Get It. - Wislawa Szymborska, "Utopia"

joebartels
teva joe
City, State: Phoenix, AZ

Re: Rabies Exposure

Post by joebartels » Mar 07 2012 1:46 pm

WilliamnWendi wrote:eating that meat and especially brain matter increases your exposure
assuming you don't cook it

interesting find to note
http://www.wildwoodsurvival.com/survival/health/rabies.html wrote:In some specific cases, in bat caves where there are a lot of bats and a lot of guano on the floor of the cave, where there is a lot of humidity and a warm moist air column, it is possible to get rabies by breathing it in.
Hike Arizona it ROCKS!

WilliamnWendi
Frame-a-pelli

Post by WilliamnWendi » Mar 07 2012 1:53 pm

joe bartels wrote:
WilliamnWendi wrote:eating that meat and especially brain matter increases your exposure
assuming you don't cook it

interesting find to note
http://www.wildwoodsurvival.com/survival/health/rabies.html wrote:In some specific cases, in bat caves where there are a lot of bats and a lot of guano on the floor of the cave, where there is a lot of humidity and a warm moist air column, it is possible to get rabies by breathing it in.
Of course just make sure your not rubbing your eyes or picking your nose in process.

Breathing it in! :o
The Tree of Understanding, dazzling, straight, and simple, sprouts by the spring called Now I Get It. - Wislawa Szymborska, "Utopia"

WilliamnWendi
Frame-a-pelli

Post by WilliamnWendi » Mar 07 2012 2:22 pm

joe bartels wrote:interesting find to note

That is an interesting article to read, thanks.

RowdyandMe
Exploring Kokopelli
City, State: Deer Valley, AZ

Post by RowdyandMe » Nov 19 2017 10:32 am

Rabies in the Superstitions?
Rowdy and Widowmaker

jonathanpatt
Exploring Kokopelli
City, State: Portal, Arizona

Post by jonathanpatt » Nov 19 2017 10:50 am

I saw three dead foxes in the Superstitions in the past few weeks, along Second Water not far from Boulder Canyon, Dutchman just east of the Cavalry junction, and Red Tanks a mile east of Dutchman. In the Chiricahuas, at least, when there are a lot of dead foxes showing up at once, it's often a good sign of a rabies outbreak (there was one this year here, and dead foxes were showing up in high numbers), but I don't know whether they've been tested in the Superstitions.

tibber
Huckleberry Picapelli

Post by tibber » Nov 19 2017 11:55 am

For me, sometimes it's just as much about the journey as the destination.
Oh, and once in awhile, don't forget to look back at the trail you've traveled.

mazatzal
Mazopelli
City, State: Scottsdale, AZ

Post by mazatzal » Nov 19 2017 2:38 pm

kingsnake
Mickey Mouse is a Rat!
City, State: Sunnyslope, PHX

Post by kingsnake » Nov 20 2017 11:16 am

@jonathanpatt

Tonto NF‏
@TontoForest
47 minutes ago
Two cases of rabid animals in the Superstition Mountains were confirmed Friday, Nov 17. The Superstition Mountains Wilderness Area, which includes Lost Dutchman State Park, the First Water Trail and the Tonto National Forest, is a popular area for hikers.
http://prestonm.com : Everyone's enjoyment of the outdoors is different and should be equally honored.

chumley
Highway Artist
City, State: Tempe, AZ

Post by chumley » Nov 20 2017 11:25 am

Tonto NF needs to up their twitter-game! I got this news printed on paper and delivered by the US post office faster than that! :sweat:
Highway to hell

juliachaos
Dimensional Kopelli

Post by juliachaos » Nov 06 2018 1:33 pm

We encountered a very aggressive/likely rabid fox within a mile of Reavis Ranch this past weekend. It charged my dog and then chased my friend. Wouldn't back down when rocks were thrown at it. Finally left when Hippy threw her hat at it... it ran off with the hat. Keep an eye out out there, and your animals safe! And if you find the hat, please return to Hippy. :sweat:
fox.png

azbackpackr
River Paddler
City, State: Flag-summer-Needles-winter

Post by azbackpackr » Nov 06 2018 2:44 pm

I heard about that! Scary! Glad no one was bitten.
There is a point of no return unremarked at the time in most lives. Graham Greene The Comedians
A clean house is a sign of a misspent life.

cactuscat
Zion Dreamer
City, State: Safford

Post by cactuscat » Nov 06 2018 8:19 pm

juliachaos wrote:Wouldn't back down when rocks were thrown at it. Finally left when Hippy threw her hat at it.
How stinky was Hippy's hat?! :o :lol:
Where is the "dislike" button?

BrettVet
Vetopelli
City, State: Tucson, AZ

Post by BrettVet » Nov 07 2018 10:52 am

From a veterinarian’s perspective. This is exactly why all dogs and cats should be vaccinated for rabies and licensed. If you dog had any contact with a potentially rabid animal and is current on his rabies vaccination it should be immediately re-vaccinated for rabies to boost its immunity. If not vaccinated it needs to be quarantined per animal control regulations to monitor for signs of rabies. Quarantine can last from 10 days to 6 months depending on the local laws, bite, vaccination and licensing circumstances. Rabies vaccination after the fact does no good and can potentially hide clinical signs of rabies. Rabies is a very fatal disease for both pets and people. The good news is that it is very rare for rabies to be transmitted without a bite breaking the skin.

juliachaos
Dimensional Kopelli

Post by juliachaos » Nov 07 2018 11:32 am

@BrettVet
Great info, thank you. I was very glad I'd just had her re-vaccinated for rabies last week! And thankful that there was never any physical contact.

ALMAL
Huck Finn Kokopelli
City, State: GILBERT

Post by ALMAL » Nov 07 2018 10:01 pm

@juliachaos
Hmmm, picks fights with dogs, chases people, then runs off with a sweaty hat? Sounds like a drunk, maybe ate too many fermenting apples?
You aren't late if you don't show up!

The_Eagle
The Bunyan Blind Raptor
City, State: Far NE Phoenix, Az

Post by The_Eagle » Nov 09 2018 7:12 am

There is a very fine line between "hobby" and "mental illness."
Dave Barry

Sredfield
Volunteer Kokopelli
City, State: Ahwatukee, AZ

Post by Sredfield » Nov 19 2018 9:19 pm

FS just put out an alert for rabies in the Superstitions, citing fox bites at First Water two days ago.
Shawn
The bear went over the mountain to see what he could see.

outdoor_lover
Dangling Kokopelli
City, State: Scottsdale, AZ

Post by outdoor_lover » Nov 19 2018 9:53 pm

@Sredfield
Sounds like the Rabies Outbreak is continuing from all the Cases that started Erupting a Year ago....
Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty & well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, totally worn out & proclaiming, "Wow What a Ride!"

wallyfrack
Superpelli
City, State: AZ

Post by wallyfrack » Nov 21 2018 5:30 am

Rabies Warning

AN AGGRESSIVE FOX (LIKELY RABID) WAS RECENTLY REPORTED IN AND AROUND THE WESTERN SUPERSTITION WILDERNESS

Arizona Game and Fish Department advises taking the following precautions:

· Always keep people and pets away from wild animals.

· Never pick up, touch or feed wild or unfamiliar animals, even if they do not appear sick or aggressive.

· Report any wild animal exhibiting erratic or aggressive behavior to Arizona Game and Fish Department at (623) 236-7201. Please be prepared to give a location.

On November 17, 2018 an aggressive fox repeatedly approached hikers, and bit them near the First Water Trail, and Massacre Trail.

Return to “General”