Find
Map
Aa

Bought a new pack, Deuter ACT Lite 60+10 SL

Backpacks, Daypacks, Hydration Packs, etc...

Moderator: HAZ - Moderators

Linked Descriptions none
Linked Areas none
chulavista
Flutin' Kokopelli
City, State: Little Running Water

Bought a new pack, Deuter ACT Lite 60+10 SL

Postby chulavista » Jul 21 2017 5:02 pm

OK gang, before today I'd never heard of Deuter, had no idea what "60 + 10" meant, and had never even properly put on a pack before. I've used a backpack before, the kind you open, shove all your stuff in, shoulder it up and go. Needless to say, packing tires me out. So today I went to Summit Hut in Tucson, Oracle and about Magee. Hubby and I, and 8 of our family are doing a 3 day 2 nite trip into Aravaipa - my first ever overnight backpack trip. I believe, first for nearly all of us. The young lady that took care of me at Summit Hut asked if I had enough time to really figure out what pack would work for me, and I did. She measured my torso, had me try on three different packs, and ultimately this is the one we came up with. She explained the key points she was looking for in a proper fit, told me how to adjust it and how it should feel. She even loaded it for me (they have weighted bags, several different weights) and had me put it on and walk around the store for a bit. Granted, this is not hiking by any means, but it did give me an idea on how a properly loaded pack should feel.

I like the way this pack feels, and I was treated like a queen at Summit Hut. Stay tuned, I plan on taking day hikes with this pack before my Aravaipa trip. I really need to get used to carrying it before I tackle the creek. I will post here what I think about this pack, as I have found nothing here about it. I'm so excited to finally be taking this step!

And please, if anyone reads this and has any info on this brand, please chime in.
You will never succeed if you don't try.
www.kathysieloff.com

rcorfman
Wanzigopelli
City, State: Phoenix, AZ

Re: Bought a new pack, Deuter ACT Lite 60+10 SL

Postby rcorfman » Jul 21 2017 5:28 pm

I have one of those. I got it late summer 2014. I took it on two Grand Canyon trips and used it on 5 trips along the Arizona Trail, for maybe 500 miles or so total. I liked it, but I moved to a lighter pack, an ULA Circuit (41oz) and used that for maybe 800 miles on the rest of the AZT, the Black Canyon Trail, Tahoe Rim Trail, and a short trip in Yosemite. Now I'm using a homemade backpack (10oz).

I think the Deuter will be a good pack for you to start with. How it fits is important but if you get hooked, expect your gear to evolve. :scared:

I hope you have a great trip in Aravaipa.
Go find a LonelyCache

chulavista
Flutin' Kokopelli

Postby chulavista » Jul 21 2017 6:43 pm

@rcorfman

Hey, thanks for the info. I already know I will be hooked, this is something I have always wanted to do. I love Aravaipa, I day hiked it a few years back. Always meant to go back, but you know how something that's right in your front yard will "always be there tomorrow." Dumb to live right at the confluence of Aravaipa and San Pedro, and I've only day hiked Aravaipa once!! I did look at a lighter pack, but this one fit better. After I get into better shape (and thinner) I fully expect my gear to change. Thanks again!
www.kathysieloff.com

big_load
You talkin' to me peli
City, State: Andover, NJ

Postby big_load » Jul 21 2017 9:52 pm

Deuter makes great middle-of-the road packs. It sounds like you have a better-than-average chance of a proper fit, so you're on the right track and it will probably work out well for you. Don't be surprised if you're less happy about it at the end of a long day on the trail, because that's just how it works.

Backpacking opens up a whole world of fascinating places you can't reach on a dayhike, and it creates a whole new level of separation from daily life that I find wonderfully refreshing. Enjoy your trip!

air
Lil' Kokopelli
City, State: Tucson, Arizona

Postby air » Jul 22 2017 9:47 am

chulavista wrote:And please, if anyone reads this and has any info on this brand, please chime in.

I love my Deuter Speed Lite 20 Daypack!

te_wa
Squirrelock Holmes
City, State: 221b Baker St.

Postby te_wa » Jul 22 2017 2:38 pm

my second pack was an Act lite 40 + 10

felt much better to carry than the arc'teryx bora 65 that it replaced. it was half the weight, for starters.

decent packs. at par with osprey, imho, and much less $$.
:D

ultrazona
Junior Kokopelli
City, State: Phoenix, AZ

Postby ultrazona » Jul 23 2017 12:11 pm

I love my Deuter ACT Zero 50+15. Bare bones on the features department, but carries weight well and had an amazing price point for the quality. I also own the Deuter Trans Alpine Pro 28 as my day pack and bikepacking pack and can't say enough good things about both of them. Definitely a brand worth giving consideration to when buying a pack.
ultrazona.com

Nighthiker
Tutin' Kokopelli
City, State: Payson

Postby Nighthiker » Jul 24 2017 1:42 pm

Couple of friends use their gear for mtn. biking which they have given positive reviews. I am a "traditional backpacker", I use external frame type packs.
jk

amy1300
Lil' Kokopelli
City, State: Phoenix. AZ

Postby amy1300 » Jul 25 2017 5:53 am

I've only had a daypack in Deuter brand, but I think its quality is excellent. And if a pack fits you well, and transfers weight to the hip belt well, that's the biggest thing. 60 + 10 sounds big for the 2-nighter you have planned, but if you think you'll get "hooked" it's worth having a big-gish pack for longer trips. Try not to fill it up with gear on your first trip!

BTW, there are lots of videos on youtube with gear reviews, and on topics like "how to load your backpack." (Heaviest items as close to your spine as possible.) You have to put up with some ads, though . . .
"Sunshine on my shoulders makes me happy . . ." -- John Denver :D

chulavista
Flutin' Kokopelli

Postby chulavista » Jul 25 2017 7:05 am

Hey gang, thank you all so very much for your input.
www.kathysieloff.com

azbackpackr
River Paddler
City, State: Yoncalla, Oregon

Postby azbackpackr » Jul 29 2017 4:16 am

Make sure you keep the hip belt tight, and then tighten it again. Most of the weight should be on your hips. Research "SUL" (super ultralight backpacking gear) if you want to learn many, many ways to decrease the weight. There's a whole new world out there!
There is a point of no return unremarked at the time in most lives. Graham Greene The Comedians
A clean house is a sign of a misspent life.

Return to “Packs”