Linked Descriptions none
Linked Areas none
amy1300
Exploring Kokopelli
City, State: Phoenix. AZ

Nature, Love, Medicine edited by Thomas Lowe Fleischner

Post by amy1300 » Apr 11 2018 7:44 am

[ Nature, Love, Medicine ]
Throughout this illuminating collection, a diverse array of people—psychologists and poets, biologists and artists, a Buddhist teacher—share personal stories that reveal a common theme: when we pay conscious, careful attention to our wider world, we strengthen our core humanity.
That's the first sentence of the publisher's notes about the book. See link above, for the rest. I haven't read it yet, but have it on order. The editor of the collection, Tom Fleischner, is one of the people who led the Sedona hike I wrote up recently -- see [ triplog ]
Last edited by joebartels on Apr 11 2018 7:58 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: added HAZ link
"Sunshine on my shoulders makes me happy . . ." -- John Denver :D

chumley
Norwegian Kokopelli
City, State: Tempe, AZ

Re: Nature, Love, Medicine edited by Thomas Lowe Fleischner

Post by chumley » Apr 11 2018 8:00 am

So is he a hiker or just a new age proselyte who takes tourists off the red rock sidewalk as marketing to sell more books? :-k
Ja vi elsker dette landet

Tough_Boots
Forest Gangster
City, State: Phoenix, AZ

Post by Tough_Boots » Apr 11 2018 8:40 am

@chumley
Looking at the table of contents, I wouldn't call it "new age". Stephen Trimble, Gary Paul Nabhan... looks pretty respectable to me.
"there is no love where there is no bramble."
--bill callahan

chumley
Norwegian Kokopelli
City, State: Tempe, AZ

Post by chumley » Apr 11 2018 9:07 am

@Tough_Boots
And I didn't mean to imply that "new age" wasn't "respectable". TETO
Ja vi elsker dette landet

amy1300
Exploring Kokopelli
City, State: Phoenix. AZ

Post by amy1300 » Apr 11 2018 9:16 am

chumley wrote:
Apr 11 2018 8:00 am
So is he a hiker or just a new age proselyte who takes tourists off the red rock sidewalk as marketing to sell more books? :-k
No, he didn't even mention the book during the day. I found the book later, by looking up the Institute's website online, and I thought it would be interesting, and maybe even interesting to other people on HAZ, in their quiet times.

The thing he seemed to want to persuade us of during the hike, imo, is that the Mogollon highlands region is unique, special, and deserving of study and protection, in large part because of the species diversity, and because it may provide a good place to study how species adapt to climate change (being a zone where climates contact each other). His organization is a new non-profit, and I'm sure they'd welcome new volunteers for their work and/or donors, but nothing like that was said during the day.

As to "is he a hiker" -- both Tom Fleischner and Ed Grumbine, the leaders of this hike, said they are lapsed certified Wilderness First Responders (a credential they would have needed only if they were leading hikes, I think), and they knew the character of every trail and hiking area I mentioned (e.g., Bear Mtn in Sedona, Lamarck Col, Evolution Valley, and Dusy and Humphreys Basins in the Sierra Nevada, the Waterpocket Fold in Utah). Tom recently retired from being on the faculty of Prescott College, in the interdisciplinary Environmental Studies Program, after 29 years. I got the impression that both Tom and Ed are experienced hikers -- but they're not doing the most strenuous kind of stuff any more, because they're older.

I didn't get a "new age" vibe from anything said during the day. No mentions of vortices (or is it vortexes), etc.

TETO?
Last edited by amy1300 on Apr 11 2018 12:28 pm, edited 6 times in total.
"Sunshine on my shoulders makes me happy . . ." -- John Denver :D

SuperstitionGuy
Retired Reminiscer
City, State: Apache Junction, Arizona

Post by SuperstitionGuy » Apr 11 2018 6:10 pm

The most important question for readers of this book is does it talk about how not to get overdue or lost? :scared: :o
A man's body may grow old, but inside his spirit can still be as young and restless as ever.
- Garth McCann from the movie Second Hand Lions

Another victim of Pixel Trivia.

Current avatar courtesy of Snakemarks

Return to “Poems & Literature”