Find
Map
Aa

Where to find out about Elk Hunts near Highline Trail?

Day Hiking & general trail related

Moderator: HAZ - Moderators

Linked Descriptions None
lesliedow
Lil' Kokopelli
City, State: phoenix az

Where to find out about Elk Hunts near Highline Trail?

Postby lesliedow » Oct 15 2016 6:02 am

Hi all
I'm getting ready to finish up my Highline trail hike. I did about 1/2 last spring and now have a weekend opening up and would like to do the rest. I know we are in elk hunting season now (at least I think we are). Where do I find out if there is going to be a big hunt around the Highline on a specific weekend?

I'm going to start at the 260 TH and finish up at Bray Creek Ranch.

Thanks!
Because in the end, you won’t remember the time you spent working in the office or mowing your lawn. Climb that goddamn mountain--Jack Kerouac

azbackpackr
River Paddler
City, State: Needles, CA

Re: Where to find out about Elk Hunts near Highline Trail?

Postby azbackpackr » Oct 15 2016 6:43 am

Pick up an Arizona Game and Fish Dept. hunting regulations for 2016 at any big sporting goods store. You first look at the map of the hunt areas. Then you look at what hunts are being held in those units on the weekend you want. There is also info online. I think you will be in the Mesa Region, Hunt Units 22 and/or 23, but you can probably figure it out: https://azgfd.com/h ... nits

You can click on the Unit numbers. For instance, here is a map and detailed info about Unit 22: https://azgfd.com/h ... a/22

You can probably find exact dates online, but anyway, this will get you started. Looks like deer hunting is also going on there in October. I really think the paper booklet is easier to deal with. Hope this is helpful.
There is a point of no return unremarked at the time in most lives. Graham Greene The Comedians
A clean house is a sign of a misspent life.

flagscott
Flutin' Kokopelli
City, State: Flagstaff, AZ

Postby flagscott » Oct 15 2016 9:26 am

Once you know what hunt unit(s) you're dealing with, you'll have to manually look up the hunting seasons in the long pdf hunting regulation books.

Here's the one for elk: https://portal.azgf ... .pdf

And this one has deer: https://portal.azgf ... .pdf

Make sure you page down through all of the different hunts--there are separate dates for antlered and antlerless deer and elk.

<and a rant just because>It's sad that in the year 2016 there still isn't a one-stop website where you can get all of this information with one click on a map. Other states I've lived in had way better websites for this info. Of course, given that the people who run Arizona hate government, I'm not surprised that we end up with badly run government agencies.</end rant>

chumley
Tutin' Kokopelli
City, State: Tempe, AZ

Postby chumley » Oct 15 2016 9:38 am

Elk Hunts on 22 and 23.
Last number indicates number of permits issued

Sep 23 - Sep 29, 2016 (10,33) 22 North Bull elk 30
Sep 23 - Sep 29, 2016 (12,33) 23 North Bull elk 15
Nov 25 - Dec 1, 2016 (10,33) 22 North Bull elk 475
Dec 2 - Dec 8, 2016 (10,33) 22 North Bull elk 375
Oct 14 - Oct 20, 2016 (10,33) 22 North Antlerless elk 275
Dec 2 - Dec 8, 2016 (33) 23 Antlerless elk 200
Oct 14 - Oct 20, 2016 (12,33) 23 North Antlerless elk 50
Nov 25 - Dec 1, 2016 (33) 23 Bull elk 150

Youth Only (Ages 10-13)
Oct 7 - Oct 13, 2016 (33) 22 Antlerless elk 150
Oct 7 - Oct 13, 2016 (33) 23 Antlerless elk 65

Archery Only
Sep 9 - Sep 22, 2016 22 Bull elk 25
Sep 9 - Sep 22, 2016 (12,40) 23 North Bull elk 15
Nov 11 - Nov 24, 2016 22 Antlerless elk 70
Nov 11 - Nov 24, 2016 (40) 23 Antlerless elk 25

Deer Hunts on 22 and 23
Oct 28 - Nov 3, 2016 (22,36) 22 Antlered mule deer 600
Oct 28 - Nov 3, 2016 (36) 23 Antlered mule deer 625

Oct 21 - Oct 27, 2016 (22,36) 22 Antlered whitetail deer 400
Nov 4 - Nov 10, 2016 22 Antlered whitetail deer 400
Dec 9 - Dec 31, 2016 (22,36) 22 Antlered whitetail deer 50
Oct 21 - Oct 27, 2016 (36) 23 Antlered whitetail deer 300
Nov 4 - Nov 10, 2016 23 Antlered whitetail deer 275
Dec 9 - Dec 31, 2016 (36) 23 Antlered whitetail deer 85

Youth-Only
Oct 7 - Oct 13, 2016 (22,36) 22 Any antlered deer 100
Oct 7 - Oct 13, 2016 (36) 23 Any antlered deer 175

Archery Only
Aug 19-Sep 8, 2016
Dec 9-31, 2016

There are numerous other game hunts at various different times. Turkey, javelina, small game, bear, etc. The above only lists those for elk and deer.

lesliedow
Lil' Kokopelli

Postby lesliedow » Oct 15 2016 10:13 am

Wow, thanks everyone! I'm planning for the 27-28-29, so no elk but 700 - 1200+ deer permits.

That's a LOT of hunters out there. So, what's the real danger? Do I hold off? I don't relish being taken for a deer, even with a bright orange pack and a chrome dome hiking umbrella. LOL. I'm pretty careful and wear bright pink shirts etc but still, that's a LOT of guns and perhaps beer-swigging hunters. ;-) I'm not real flexible on the dates, sadly. So it's either that weekend or hold off until likely next spring.

Deer Hunts on 22 and 23
Oct 21 - Oct 27, 2016 (22,36) 22 Antlered whitetail deer 400
Oct 21 - Oct 27, 2016 (36) 23 Antlered whitetail deer 300
Oct 28 - Nov 3, 2016 (22,36) 22 Antlered mule deer 600
Oct 28 - Nov 3, 2016 (36) 23 Antlered mule deer 625
Because in the end, you won’t remember the time you spent working in the office or mowing your lawn. Climb that goddamn mountain--Jack Kerouac

chumley
Tutin' Kokopelli

Postby chumley » Oct 15 2016 10:45 am

Personally I wouldn't give it a second thought.

flagscott
Flutin' Kokopelli

Postby flagscott » Oct 15 2016 11:09 am

I won't hike during rifle season for deer or elk, especially given that there are other places to hike where it's not deer/elk season.

Your risk of getting shot is quite low (but non-zero). But your risk of running into dumb, drunk hunters, having your sleep or hiking disturbed by gunfire and yahoos, etc. is a lot higher. Why bother when there are other, quieter places to hike?

CannondaleKid
Soap Box Kopelli
City, State: Mesa, AZ

Postby CannondaleKid » Oct 15 2016 12:03 pm

lesliedow wrote:So, what's the real danger? Do I hold off?

What real danger?

Let's take a moment to compare the odds:
1. Being shot by a hunter - Roughly 1,000 people are shot (relatively few die) by hunters each year in the US AND Canada.
2. Being in a car accident on the drive to/from the hike - What is it for just the US this year ALREADY... 17,000 killed?

If we aren't staying home for fear of a car accident, why would we stay home for the much lower odds of being hunted.?

The only tip I'd provide is to stay away from or at least be careful around watering holes... the lazy hunters tend to hang around watering holes waiting for the game to come to them rather than actually tracking it.

Personally I'd say go ahead with your plans and enjoy the hiking!
CannondaleKid
... aka the CherokeeKid
PHOTOS & VIDEOS:
http://www.changephoenix.com/index.html

flagscott
Flutin' Kokopelli

Postby flagscott » Oct 15 2016 12:49 pm

CannondaleKid wrote:What real danger?

Let's take a moment to compare the odds:
1. Being shot by a hunter - Roughly 1,000 people are shot (relatively few die) by hunters each year in the US AND Canada.
2. Being in a car accident on the drive to/from the hike - What is it for just the US this year ALREADY... 17,000 killed?

I think we can do better on the math here. First, the number of people killed in auto accidents is more like 35,000, though about 10% of that number is pedestrians. Still, a lot more than 17,000. Also, the number of people injured in auto accidents is in the low millions (2.5 million went to the ER with an injury from an auto accident in 2012). So, we should be looking at a much bigger number.

Of course, you have to take the 1,000 vs. 2.5 million in terms of the total population exposed to the threat and the time duration. Americans drive around 3 trillion miles a year when you add it all up. So, your risk of getting in an accident that sends someone to the hospital for, say a 250 mile round trip drive to a trailhead, is 1 in 4800 (or maybe a bit lower than this because the 2.5 million number probably includes some accidents that injured more than one person).

As for the hunting--I think it's basically impossible to come up with a reasonable estimate for your risk of getting shot on one camping trip. But let's not forget that the hunting season is only a small fraction of the year, and the total number of people who are outdoors during hunting season in areas with hunting is a lot smaller than the number of people who drive in the US.

Like I said above, the risk of getting shot is still small--just like your risk of a serious accident on the way to the trailhead. But since the OP already said that she is going to hike the trail in the spring if not now, it makes more sense to treat the risk of an accident on the way to the trail as a given. In that case, comparing the two risks is kind of pointless. Then the only remaining question is: is the very small additional risk of getting shot worth doing the hike now? Only the OP can answer that question.

(This is what happens when you are stuck working on a beautiful Saturday instead of out hiking) :)

chumley
Tutin' Kokopelli

Postby chumley » Oct 15 2016 1:00 pm

I think your chances of getting shot near the highline trail is probably higher during other times of year than hunting season.

It's not like people only shoot during a hunt! Shooting is legal all year, in almost all parts of the forest. I'd guess that more people fire more indiscriminately, more often and more drunk during a normal camping trip than those who have a rare tag to take a deer or elk one week out of the year.

lesliedow
Lil' Kokopelli

Postby lesliedow » Oct 15 2016 1:14 pm

Apologies for starting a, er, discussion. The timing for hiking that part of the Highline is set by factors other than my choice. If it works out, I can hike there that weekend if not, then there are no other options for me on that weekend. It's just family, friends, and planning.

I am totally aware of the statistics around driving. And did not intend to turn this discussion into pro/no guns. Not my point at all. I had been told that it was not advised to hike when there were a lot of permits pulled. So I figured I'd come here and ask the AZ hiking hivemind.

I think I will probably take a pass just because I don't want to hear gunshots for three days. I think that's a good enough reason and I can spend a fun weekend hanging out with friends at Bray Creek. Where I am also certain we will hear gunfire all weekend.

:)

Thanks!

CannondaleKid
Soap Box Kopelli

Postby CannondaleKid » Oct 15 2016 2:59 pm

flagscott wrote:This is what happens when you are stuck working on a beautiful Saturday instead of out hiking

While I never had a job in which I could read forums, I can understand the sentiment.
Dang! What? No wink smiley?

Speaking of deaths... c'mon Joe, you're killing off too many of my favorite smileys.
:pout: (this new smiley just happens to be appropriate)
CannondaleKid
... aka the CherokeeKid
PHOTOS & VIDEOS:

CannondaleKid
Soap Box Kopelli

Postby CannondaleKid » Oct 15 2016 3:18 pm

chumley wrote:I'd guess that more people fire more indiscriminately, more often and more drunk during a normal camping trip than those who have a rare tag to take a deer or elk one week out of the year.

I agree completely!
As far as I know, the only people firing in my direction over the last 60 years have been target shooters... not only was their aim bad, but it was where target shooting was prohibited.

*Trivia*
61 years ago I was in fact, within a few hundred feet down-range from a hunter who was shooting in my direction... hearing a mass of shotgun pellets ripping through trees and leaves will get your attention in a hurry. Thankfully I was short enough and/or dropped just fast enough nothing hit me.

However, the shooter's brother, (who was standing behind me at that moment) who was in excess of 6 feet tall, managed to be hit by over a dozen pellets in the shoulder and cheek... while the duiker (deer) his brother was shooting at ran right between his legs.
NOTE: A duiker is a very small deer quite common where I lived back then... Zululand, South Africa.

Sorry...
/Thread hijack = Off
CannondaleKid
... aka the CherokeeKid
PHOTOS & VIDEOS:

Tough_Boots
Forest Gangster
City, State: Phoenix, AZ

Postby Tough_Boots » Oct 15 2016 6:54 pm

Just be aware when you're places that a quad might get to. Other than that, you're fine. I haven't found any conclusive evidence that hunters can walk.
"Backpacking has as much to do with what I carry inside as with what goes into the pack. It connects me with woundedness as well as with wonder."
--Belden C. Lane

flagscott
Flutin' Kokopelli

Postby flagscott » Oct 15 2016 7:10 pm

CannondaleKid wrote:While I never had a job in which I could read forums, I can understand the sentiment.
Dang! What? No wink smiley?

It helps to be self-employed. :y: The "boss" (me) is pretty forgiving of distractions. And the actual bosses (the ones that write the checks) don't care what I do day in and day out so long as the work gets done.

Nighthiker
Tutin' Kokopelli
City, State: Payson

Postby Nighthiker » Oct 15 2016 7:18 pm

I have watched enough war movies that I know how to break for cover.
jk

lesliedow
Lil' Kokopelli

Postby lesliedow » Oct 16 2016 8:57 pm

Thanks everyone!

:)

lesliedow
Lil' Kokopelli

Postby lesliedow » Oct 30 2016 8:05 pm

Hi everyone
I went ahead and did the hike last week. I've uploaded my trip report and my route via routescout.
[ gps route ]

Hardly heard a single gunshot. I did see some hunters as I was leaving the trail at Washington Park. I did see a lot of trantulas. Very cool!

I didn't make it all the way to Bray Creek, mostly because I had a devil of a time navigating the trail between Tonto Hatchery and Washington Park. The trail is badly washed out in many places (scrambling up/down steep washouts), there is exposed rebar sticking directly up into the trail from decayed erosion barriers, and the trail is very difficult to follow. I did a lot of backtracking, and wandering around to keep on the trail. Yes, I know how to read and use a map and did so. I was mostly slowed because I had to stop and check my coordinates at least several times each hour and definitely at anything that remotely looked like it could be an intersection--and in the manzanita, even those that didn't-LOL. It essentially reduced my speed in 1/2. And that could have become a water issue, except I am paranoid about water and always carry too much.

The guy that mentioned the trail issue around Dude Creek WRT the tall grass was not kidding. I am 5'2" and in places could barely see above the grass to see the impression of the trail as it crossed the meadows. The trail gets far better after you leave Dude Creek (toward Washington Park), but it was still pretty slow going for me because of the route double checking. By that time I had been off-trail so much and had lost so much time to that, that I was completely freakish about checking my route. I don't want to be a grouch here and don't expect to have a perfect trail, but I was not expecting to have to bushwhack to stay on the trail and I did.

I did use Routescout for this trip. The follow the trail setting just really didn't work for me. I don't know if I had it set up wrong or not. I'll give it another chance because I love the app, it's very nicely done.

Thanks for all the advice. Thinking about trying some trips up the rim next.

Return to “Trail Chat”