Find
Map
Aa

I've made it 2 weeks out here going Sobo!

Moderators: HAZ - Moderators, AZT - Moderators

Linked Descriptions None
Norikiyo
Lil' Kokopelli
City, State: Crescent Beach, FL

I've made it 2 weeks out here going Sobo!

Postby Norikiyo » Nov 21 2016 8:46 am

Hey Hikeaz,

Just want to share I started sobo November 6th with only a little day hiking experience and have thus far made it to Flagstaff. I got to say, it has been knarly and amazing. What diversity over 200 miles. I don't have any other trail experience to compare it to but it really has been rewarding in the rotating environments from the stateline to Flagstaff. I dove off the deep end but I think I can make it to the end if I've made it this far. When does the real desert start?

DallinW
Tundrapelli
City, State: Gilbert, AZ

Re: I've made it 2 weeks out here going Sobo!

Postby DallinW » Nov 21 2016 3:14 pm

TheRhinoRoams wrote:Hey Hikeaz,

Just want to share I started sobo November 6th with only a little day hiking experience and have thus far made it to Flagstaff. I got to say, it has been knarly and amazing. What diversity over 200 miles. I don't have any other trail experience to compare it to but it really has been rewarding in the rotating environments from the stateline to Flagstaff. I dove off the deep end but I think I can make it to the end if I've made it this far. When does the real desert start?

Once below the Mogollon Rim, you'll bounce up and down from low desert to high desert, with occasional forest. After the superstitions, you will be in the low desert for a while before climbing the sky Islands in Southern AZ, where you will return to higher elevations, but only briefly. Make it below the Mogollon Rim and you'll be warmer.

Ras and Cathy (yoyo fkters) finished late December last year (if I remember right), so it's possible. After you get below the Rim, it's just a matter of how hard it snows on the sky islands.

Norikiyo
Lil' Kokopelli
City, State: Crescent Beach, FL

Re: I've made it 2 weeks out here going Sobo!

Postby Norikiyo » Nov 21 2016 3:16 pm

Great, thank you. I'm looking forward to the rest of the way.

Return to “AZT Hiking”