|Guide||♦||4 Triplogs||0 Topics|
The historic remains of the Sanchez Camp are located across the Gila River from Safford. This Civilian Conservation Corps (CCC) camp was occupied from 1935 to 1936 by Company 2867. Approximately 200 men were stationed at the camp, primarily from Texas and Arizona. The enrollees worked directly with the Soil Conservation Service on the Gila Watershed Project, to counteract erosion problems plaguing the area. This was the second largest watershed project in the nation at that time. Several buildings and a system of rock-lined pathways are visible at the site.
Check out the Triplogs.