Search found 253 matches

by toddak
May 12 2020 5:45 am
Forum: Moderated Discussion
Topic: Coronavirus and hiking
Replies: 373
Views: 21290

Re: Coronavirus and hiking

Great advice for the 20% of the population that has an elevated chance of hospitalization or death (elderly, other health conditions). For the other 80%, definitely take common sense precautions as you start to get back to living your life.
by toddak
May 08 2020 11:44 am
Forum: Backpacking
Topic: Mid-may 3-4 day trip
Replies: 5
Views: 724

Re: Mid-may 3-4 day trip

There are lots of loops that can be worked out along the Highline Trail #31, going up on the Rim / dropping back down. Check out the overview map towards the bottom of page for the linked guide above. Many of the drainages along the Highline will have running water. Upcoming weather looks good, cool...
by toddak
Apr 25 2020 6:19 pm
Forum: Gear
Topic: Snake Gaiters -worth it?
Replies: 55
Views: 3415

Re: Snake Gaiters -worth it?

I can no longer remain silent: I've joined the tin-foil gaiters-wearing community. After multiple rattler encounters and typically hiking solo, hours (or more) away from medical help, I really don't care what the statistics say. My Turtleskin Snakearmors are lightweight, flexible and comfortable. Cr...
by toddak
Apr 21 2020 6:40 pm
Forum: Flora & Fauna - Weather & Fire
Topic: 2020 Fire Season
Replies: 40
Views: 2907

Re: 2020 Fire Season

Stinknet weed has gone crazy in the north valley this year, afraid it could be a serious ladder fuel this summer
IMG_2864xx.jpeg
by toddak
Apr 14 2020 10:11 am
Forum: Trail Chat
Topic: Motorized Electric Bikes On Trails
Replies: 113
Views: 4146

Re: Motorized Electric Bikes On Trails

@friendofThundergod
Agreed, and e-bikes will cause even more damage than pedal-bikes. So I hope you went ahead and took the survey. Maybe if more hikers express their misgivings about e-bikes in the wilderness, the momentum can be slowed.
by toddak
Apr 14 2020 6:55 am
Forum: Trail Chat
Topic: Motorized Electric Bikes On Trails
Replies: 113
Views: 4146

Re: Motorized Electric Bikes On Trails

The AZT Association is conducting a survey about allowing e-bikes on non-motorized trails, including the AZT. Link below, comment period ends May 10.
https://aztrail.org/e-bike-questionnaire/
by toddak
Mar 26 2020 3:27 pm
Forum: Moderated Discussion
Topic: Coronavirus and hiking
Replies: 373
Views: 21290

Re: Coronavirus and hiking

@chumley Not only that, the British lockdown only went into effect on the evening of Monday March 23, so there's no way anyone can say that the lockdown is what produced the drastic change in the predictions. Policy makers rely on experts like this to make major decisions with serious ramifications...
by toddak
Mar 26 2020 3:06 pm
Forum: Moderated Discussion
Topic: Coronavirus and hiking
Replies: 373
Views: 21290

Re: Coronavirus and hiking

On March 16 British epidemiologist Neil Ferguson of Imperial College London published a report predicting more than half a million Brits and up to 2.2 million Americans would be killed by coronavirus and that at least 18 months of lockdown would be required until large stocks of vaccine became avail...
by toddak
Mar 17 2020 8:45 am
Forum: Moderated Discussion
Topic: Coronavirus and hiking
Replies: 373
Views: 21290

Re: Coronavirus and hiking

No, I'm not terrified yet, because no one knows enough to be making predictions and mandating extreme actions based on those predictions. By no means am I saying its anything like a hoax, of course its serious, and other than the usual fringes everyone is treating it as such. But talk of world wars ...
by toddak
Mar 17 2020 7:31 am
Forum: Arizona National Scenic Trail
Topic: Montezuma Pass TH
Replies: 6
Views: 732

Re: Montezuma Pass TH

@Daggi I was there late in the day back in October and there was a Border Patrol vehicle hanging out in the parking lot for several hours, he left around sunset. There's also a lot of video surveillance in the area. So I wouldn't stay right at the parking lot in the pass. But if you drop down to th...
by toddak
Feb 24 2020 8:10 am
Forum: Trail Chat
Topic: Hayduke Trail documentary
Replies: 21
Views: 4601

Re: Hayduke Trail documentary

Good documentary. Hiker/filmmaker Alex Maier likes to expound on "hiking as a metaphor for life" a bit too often perhaps, but he's created a beautiful snapshot of the Hayduke. Piqued my interest.
by toddak
Feb 18 2020 3:50 pm
Forum: Arizona National Scenic Trail
Topic: P15-17 Section/Day hiking
Replies: 2
Views: 596

Re: P15-17 Section/Day hiking

Below is from the TNF alerts & notices webpage. Forest Road 4 Temporarily Reopened Date(s): Nov 21, 2019 The private property owner has temporarily reopened Forest Road 4 in both directions at the private property boundary, approximately 200 yards from the junction with Forest Road 230. Forest Road ...
by toddak
Jan 21 2020 5:44 pm
Forum: HAZ - Member Related
Topic: Leo Canyon near Hellsgate (Tonto & Haigler Cks.)
Replies: 8
Views: 343

Re: Leo Canyon near Hellsgate (Tonto & Haigler Cks.)

What are now Bear Flat 178 and Big Ridge 177 trails would be a probable land route, passing right by the head of Leo Canyon. Joe's Bear Flat to the Tonto/Haigler confluence via Tonto Creek is easy canyoneering but definitely not a route to bring a caged lion back upstream. Possibilities for the pilo...
by toddak
Nov 25 2019 2:24 pm
Forum: Looking for a Hike
Topic: Showshoeing
Replies: 15
Views: 1523

Re: Showshoeing

Jim_H wrote:I should point out that I would want to have views along the Rim, so Clint's Wells is probably not great.
If you snowshoe about 5 miles west from Clint's Well you'll have great rim views - down into West Clear Creek :D
by toddak
Nov 20 2019 11:14 am
Forum: HAZ - Member Related
Topic: HAZIVERSARY
Replies: 21
Views: 1454

Re: HAZIVERSARY

Joe - other than this guy and his wacky sense of humor, your website is a joy and an absolutely indispensable resource. THANK YOU!!!
profile.php?u=2847
by toddak
Nov 12 2019 11:59 am
Forum: Arizona National Scenic Trail
Topic: AzT... Have 2 weeks off? There ya go..
Replies: 14
Views: 775

Re: AzT... Have 2 weeks off? There ya go..

8000 calories a day! Shelled nuts are about the most calorie dense food there is, he'd need about 3 pounds of shelled peanuts or almonds per day to get that many calories.
by toddak
Nov 06 2019 8:57 am
Forum: Looking for a Hike
Topic: Superstition Ridgeline Loop from First Water TH?
Replies: 3
Views: 462

Re: Superstition Ridgeline Loop from First Water TH?

I did this in January 2013, same as Joe's loop except I used Peralta instead of Bluff Spring / Terrapin. Long, fun route, but I'd wait to do it until after we've had some winter rains.

https://hikearizona.com/x.php?I=4&ZTN=126&UID=22796
by toddak
Nov 05 2019 8:20 pm
Forum: Arizona National Scenic Trail
Topic: Roosevelt Lake in January
Replies: 1
Views: 283

Re: Roosevelt Lake in January

@wonderwoman78 Four Peaks ( Passage #20 ) northbound from Vineyard is excellent. The https://hikearizona.com/map.php?QX=8947 would be a possible shuttle and/or starting point for out-and-back hikes. https://hikearizona.com/decoder.php?ZTN=1583 also allows access to the northern end of the passage. ...
by toddak
Oct 11 2019 9:46 am
Forum: AZT General
Topic: AZT in a Day!
Replies: 48
Views: 4885

Re: AZT in a Day!

@tibber
I'm back to the northern Mazzies again to do Sections 48 and 49, since no one else signed up
by toddak
Oct 10 2019 6:28 pm
Forum: AZT General
Topic: AZT in a Day!
Replies: 48
Views: 4885

Re: AZT in a Day!

@MAP
I drove it about a year ago in the dark, no problems. It's rough in spots but not bad.

Go to advanced search