Perfect Hike

Day Hiking & general trail related

Moderator: HAZ - Moderators

Linked Guides none
Linked Areas none

What most influences your idea of a “Perfect Hike”?

Location / Perks / Destination
53%
Partner / Company
10%
Weather Occurrence
3%
Simply something New / Different
29%
Going Further / Faster
5%

Total votes: 213

joebartels
City, State: Phoenix, AZ

Perfect Hike

Post by joebartels »

What's your idea of the "Perfect Hike"?
Last edited by joebartels on Feb 05 2004 9:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
- joe
Billy
City, State: Mesa, AZ

Post by Billy »

For me, my "most perfect hikes" have been the following types of hikes:

a. By myself for solitude, challenge, and adventure. (endurance training/running or difficult hikes)

b. With someone I Love, for romance, companionship, and to share in the mutual love of the land. (scenic hikes, or camping/backpacking trips)

c. For fun, adventurous hikes or easy hikes with friends. Rain or shine, hiking with good friends is always fun.

d. Distance hikes or adventurous hikes are great when done with competitive individuals; I love a challenge.

e. Camping with my kids, the teenager could do without the whole camping and family togetherness thing, but he still comes along, but the little guys :-) they just love everything about being outside, and their curiosity, sense of adventure, little laughs, and conversations, just tickle me to no end :-)

In conclusion, I guess all things factor in for the perfect hike, for me, it depends on my mood, as to the type of trip I am going to plan.
Giovanna
City, State: Oracle, AZ

perfect hike

Post by Giovanna »

The criteria for a perfect hike:
1) Company/partners - if I prefer to be alone then my own company is perfect but I prefer a good friend that I can count on for conversation or silence; acceptance or a good discussion over differences of opinion; and someone I trust to watch my back, call for help, not panic, and trust me, too.

2) Weather - I'm not picky, yet weather can make or break a perfect hike. Last autumn I went mushroom hunting on the rim and Woods Canyon Lake. Along the rim, the rain came in and blew at me just like it did off the coast of Cornwall when a big storm was rising, and along the lakeshore the rain came misty and cold. My companions were less than happy, but I found some yellow slime that I didn't know existed in AZ along with three other fungi, so I was thrilled with the hike. The weather made it that much more special. I don't need sunshine and roses, but I've had that too, and both were perfect.

3) Points of interest - History, rare plants, special trees, waterfalls, crystal outcroppings and interesting geology, water features, and seeds.

4) Food and drink - I love when friends hike together for the day and enjoy a bottle of wine and a great sandwich on a picnic. I have also enjoyed water fresh bubbling from a spring (20 years back-can't do that now) and nothing else all day. It made my body sing like harp strings in the wind and my head clear so that I had thoughts I would never imagined possible.

5) Moonlight and starlight and shooting stars and friends to share it with.
Billy

Post by Billy »

Giovanna I love your criteria for a perfect hike. I'm looking forward to reading what others consider a "perfect hike."
Let's go hiking!
mttgilbert
City, State: Denver, CO

Post by mttgilbert »

My favorite hikes are those that afford a great amount of solitude. I don't mean I like going alone all the time, sometimes a group can be just as good. But I like to get away from the crowds; the roaving masses of car campers. Interesting geological features, lonely ruins and lush riparian areas are great destinations but really I like to escape into, what I entertain are, seldom traversed wild lands. I prefer the adventurous off route trip to the relative safety of a trail. There is nothing like finding your way through a mountain range or to the top of a peak by the untraveled way. Crawling under brush or scrambling over boulders always yeilds more satisfation than merely walking along the beaten path. Of course even on its worst day hiking is still pretty good; I'll take a well carved trail to nothing at all. I guess in the end I'm just a sucker for an adventure.
CindyC

Post by CindyC »

For me the perfect hike is with a partner I can be 'just me' with. No matter where I go, when I get out I want to be able to leave everything behind. It takes someone with great patience to put up with that side of me :roll: It would also include rain. There is something very liberating about the rain :oops:
'Achievement lies within the reach of those who reach beyond themselves'
Billy

Post by Billy »

Rain is great, my favorite time to go running is in the rain, without lightening of course!
CindyC

Post by CindyC »

In response to Billy's reply: Can't beat running in the rain. Doesn't matter when it hits, I will drop everything and hit the road for a run.
'Achievement lies within the reach of those who reach beyond themselves'
Billy

Post by Billy »

Sounds like we have something in common.........cool :)
Abe
City, State: Prescott, AZ

Post by Abe »

A perfect hike? When I start at point A and finish at point B in one piece. :lol:

That is a good question Joe, and I love everyone's answers, they are for the most part deep, romantic, thoughtful, playful, adventurous; everything I would expect a lover of the outdoors to say. And frankly, everyone may find this hard to believe, but I am at a lost for words on what a perfect hike is for me. :?:

But Billy and Cindy C hit on something I really love while hiking. Not necessarily the rain, but the monsoon season.

On a trail, you start your day early before the sunshine strikes the towering pines. It is cool at the start and warns up. You take a break, early afternoon, snack on your favorite trail food. A slight breeze blows in your hair, caressing your cheeks, then you hear the low rumble of distant thunder and you face the direction from which the roar comes, to get the feel of the cool air moving by you, around you, through you. Bringing the message that life giving rain is coming. And........

Opps, sorry, got a bit carried away.
Billy

Post by Billy »

You people just touch my heart so deeply, I guess it's the common ground we stand on, the way we think and love the beauty around us. We are so blessed to be able to have this tool to share our love and passion for the sport of hiking with each other.
arizonaheat

Post by arizonaheat »

You people just touch my heart so deeply, I guess it's the common ground we stand on, the way we think and love the beauty around us. We are so blessed to be able to have this tool to share our love and passion for the sport of hiking with each other.
Amen.... I could go on and on and on...............
HikerInGilbert
City, State: Gilbert, AZ

Post by HikerInGilbert »

I truly believe that all factors make for a perfect hike. Some outweigh others, but it's the whole experience that sticks with you.

I think Billy hit it on nose with her comment. This site is a great tool and starts the whole thing in motion. Although I feel the perks/destination part is important, a close second is the company you have along the way. I was lucky earlier in the season to find a few fun people to hike with. It really does make a difference. Lately I have found some new hiking friends who haven't hit some of the more challenging spots yet, but that will come soon.

This State offers so much to those willing to venture out into the unknown. It is an endless list (so to speak).

I guess the crux of it all is no matter where you go, who you're with, or what you see, have as much fun as you can. Every trip has it's own essence. More than likely you won't be able to duplicate it.

Tom 8)
Daryl
City, State: Lake Stevens, WA

Post by Daryl »

Great topic, great answers.

In short, my last hike was perfect and my next hike will be perfect.
“Life is tough, but it’s tougher if you’re stupid”
John Wayne as Sergeant John M. Stryker, USMC in “The Sands of Iwo Jima”
Nighthiker
City, State: Payson

Post by Nighthiker »

Returning home, healthy and on time.
olesma

Post by olesma »

Depends on my mood at the time.

Sometimes the perfect hike is being by myself - REALLY by myself. A nice time of solitude and meditation/contemplation and communion with nature. Very spiritual for me.

Sometimes it is having good company with good friends and good conversation - while enjoying the surroundings.

Sometimes it is the thrill of accomplishment. Going somewhere I haven't gone or reaching a point I had previously attempted and failed, or didn't think I could in the first place.

Sometimes it is the desire just to work out some frustration and go out and drive myself just to see how far I can push it before I drop.

And sometimes it is raining and I just have to go out and dance. (I LOVE hiking in the rain. Although I should warn anyone going with me that I've been thrown by lightning twice and had strikes of closer than 10 ft. on numerous occasions. Apparently I'm a lightning rod.)
'Weird is a relative, not an absolute.' - A. Einstein
JimmineyGrl
City, State: Phoenix, AZ

Re: Perfect Hike

Post by JimmineyGrl »

The Perfect Hike = Green, water, one or two friends, quiet and cool with warm sun.

(I haven't found those one or two friends yet so I hope to meet some of you!)
azhiker96
City, State: Gilbert, AZ

Post by azhiker96 »

My perfect hike is away from the noise, hustle and bustle of civilization. It's sometimes with a friend or several friends. It's when I get the feeling that I'm part of nature, that I belong there. I love it when creatures acknowledge my presense and also recognize that I am not a threat. I once watched a desert bighorn make his way down a canyon wall. He stopped even with me and about 60 feet away. He turned and looked at me for a few moments, then turned his head and slowly descended into a ravine and out of sight. I was so awestruck I forgot I had a camera. :o

I tend to find what I like on less traveled paths or pathways only traveled by desert creatures. I hiked up the Siphon draw trail this morning to the basin. On the way I saw a baker's dozen of young Gambel's quail. On the return I disturbed a horned lizard basking on the trail. He was about 4 inches long and scurried under a brittle bush since he didn't know my intentions. I looked at him for a few seconds and then went on my way.

I like rain and thunderstorms. I love the feel of raw power in the lightning flash and thunderclap. I do try to stay off ridgelines though when the gods are tossing bolts to the ground. No need to overly temp fate! :)
GeorgAZ
City, State: Scottsdale, AZ

Perfect?

Post by GeorgAZ »

All my hikes have been "perfect" in one way or another; some more difficult even tedious, others lightfooted and upbeat; some for solitude, others for companionship, most for discovery, either of 'self' or some higher power, or some form of nature's beauty perhaps not seen before or seen through 'new eyes' with a different awareness.It is all such a gift and I am so thankful for this site and all the cameraderie, wonderful pics, thoughtful comments,etc etc etc, and also the fact that I am still physically capable of enjoying all of it. :)
pfredricks
City, State: Glendale, AZ

Post by pfredricks »

okaaaaaaaaaaaaayyyyy! I cant resist. I was hoping someone else would say it so my heart could rest, but........... Look, I know what you are asking, but the PERFECT hike for me would have all those things. If they only had some of those elements, then I would call them pretty good hikes.

FOr those that know me, you know I am a smarty pants and that I am not capable of resisting. Please forgive me. By all means, please return to your regularly scheduled forum posts.
Thank You.
"I'd feel better if we had some crampons. Oh, what the hell, let's go for it..." — Common climbing last words.

Return to “Trail Chat”