Desert Rats: Will you begin a hike while it's raining?

Moderator: HAZ - Moderators

Linked Guides none
Linked Areas none
azbackpackr
City, State: Flag-summer-Needles-winter

Desert Rats: Will you begin a hike while it's raining?

Post by azbackpackr » Dec 22 2016 5:45 am

I'm wondering how many die-hard desert lovers will willingly start a hike while it's raining, knowing it will continue raining. Okay, now: If you said "yes," then I'll want to know where you grew up. Did it rain a lot where you grew up?

I grew up in San Diego, where rain is an exciting and rare event. I know that people from the Northwest will go hiking and even (shudder!!) bicycle riding in the rain, without any second thoughts. On purpose! To me, this seems totally alien and weird. :scared:

I generally sit at home, wishing it wasn't raining. In fact, that's what's happening right now. In addition to the terrifying possibility that I might get some small part of myself wet, there is a real danger of flash flooding here in the Mojave Desert, where I am wintering.

I will occasionally start a hike before rain sets in, and bring rain gear, but I'm not in the habit of deliberately going out in the rain. I would like to get more open-minded about this, but it's hard to break through my natural resistance.

I bought some rain pants this past year, my first pair in years. My Marmot rain jacket is so-so, but the REI Talusphere rain pants are bomb. I haven't used them yet. I'm thinking I should go try them out today. https://www.rei.com/product/892142/rei- ... nts-womens
There is a point of no return unremarked at the time in most lives. Graham Greene The Comedians
A clean house is a sign of a misspent life.

johnlp
City, State: chandler,az

Re: Desert Rats: Will you begin a hike while it's raining?

Post by johnlp » Dec 22 2016 5:58 am

I will hike in the rain on occasion. Grew up in OR. https://hikearizona.com/photo.php?ZIP=124101
“Good people drink good beer.” Hunter S Thompson

trekkin_gecko
City, State: phoenix, az

Post by trekkin_gecko » Dec 22 2016 6:04 am

not in the habit of deliberately going out in the rain
same here
rock gym

azbackpackr

Post by azbackpackr » Dec 22 2016 6:07 am

@johnlp
@trekkin_gecko
No rock gym here, but there is a regular gym. I've thought of joining, but it so seldom rains. Plus, I really want to root out my general wussiness when it comes to rain. I need a better rain jacket, though. I am not pleased with the thin Marmot, and it doesn't have much room for layering underneath. But I just looked at a bunch of them on REI, and holy schmoly, the good ones are pretty spendy!
There is a point of no return unremarked at the time in most lives. Graham Greene The Comedians

pixelfrog
City, State: Chandler, AZ

Post by pixelfrog » Dec 22 2016 6:39 am

Love hiking in the rain! It rains so seldom here that I try to take advantage of it. Nothing beats the desert with a bit of water flowing through it.

Originally from Michigan where it rained all the time. Been here 16 years and really miss it so I love it whenever the rain comes!

LindaAnn
City, State: Ahwatukee, AZ

Post by LindaAnn » Dec 22 2016 6:53 am

I will start a hike in the rain without hesitation. I love being out in rain. Phoenix native.

azbackpackr

Post by azbackpackr » Dec 22 2016 7:36 am

@lindaagm
@pixelfrog
I really need an attitude adjustment. And, possibly, a better rain jacket and waterproof boots.

The_Dude
City, State: Phoenix, AZ

Post by The_Dude » Dec 22 2016 7:43 am

I enjoy hiking in the rain as well, close by lightning notwithstanding. I picked up a nice lightweight but waterproof jacket three years ago that works like a champ (Woot special, back when that website had good outdoors gear), I even finally got some rain pants last year but have oddly enough not used them despite packing them on quite a few trips. Few things beat the smell of freshly rained-on Creosote out on the desert. I was born in New Jersey, but we moved here when I was four so I consider myself a native. Rain is such a rare treat here it is always great to experience it up close and personal!

chumley
City, State: Tempe, AZ

Post by chumley » Dec 22 2016 8:09 am

If it's cold and raining, probably not. But most of the time in the desert the temperature is pleasant even in the rain. (Take today for instance, end of December, temps in the 60s! No problem!)

I grew up in the northeast. I like rain and snow and the outdoors in general. Much more than indoors.

The desert is magical when it's full of water: https://hikearizona.com/photoset.php?ID=31849

PatrickL
City, State: Buckeye, AZ

Post by PatrickL » Dec 22 2016 8:20 am

From Southern California. I've done a few hikes in the rain. As long as there isn't lightning, I don't mind it.

cactuscat
City, State: Safford

Post by cactuscat » Dec 22 2016 8:22 am

Nope - Planned on hiking yesterday, but it was cloudy.
Where is the "dislike" button?

Jim_H

Post by Jim_H » Dec 22 2016 8:41 am

I do not enjoy rain, except the summer storms, and even then I don't want to be out in one. I am with Cactuscat, in that I don't really like overcast or dreary clouds, but I did go out to do Camelback yesterday to keep up my fitness.

I will not hike in the rain, anymore. NJ, for the first 21 years.

I understand liking rain as necessary, but I much prefer snow, as dry precipitation that hopefully sticks around up high to melt for our usage. One time, a woman told me we live in the desert, and need all the rain we can get. That is one opinion. The other, is that we live in a desert because rain is limited, and so we need extended periods without, and dry years to keep it a desert, especially in Tucson where this was told to me. If Tucson or Phoenix regularly received 10 to 15 inches a year, and depending on when, it could transition to a grassland, or more likely, some sort of thorn scrub or chaparral system. Except it is urban now, so that is unlikely. In 1500, though....

Therefore, while I know we in Arizona and California need all the rain and especially snow for the snowpack we can get this winter season, we also need those dry winters, too. I just happen to enjoy the dry ones far more, and wish I had lived in Phoenix in the winter of 12, 13, or 14, when it was drier.
Last edited by Jim_H on Dec 22 2016 8:43 am, edited 2 times in total.
Society's constraints are stifling! The only way to hike is fully nude!

DallinW
City, State: Gilbert AZ

Post by DallinW » Dec 22 2016 8:42 am

Sitting at the BCO at GCNP about to head in for an overnighter. It's gonna be cold and rainy all day. So I guess so...

Grew up in Northern Utah. Not particularly wet, but probably more so than AZ.

I've learned to work with the weather instead of dodging it on my long hikes. You really don't have much of a choice sometimes, you have to move forward. On the CT we spent a couple days above treeline on the divide in thunderstorms, did the Grand Canyon in June on the AZT in the heat...

For a day hike I might decide to bail, because well, it's a dayhike and there usually isn't much logistics and planning behind it, I can come back another day unless it's a long drive.

rcorfman

Post by rcorfman » Dec 22 2016 9:05 am

I had no trouble going out to get the paper this morning. :y: I did put on a hat first so my glasses wouldn't get raindrops on them. :lol:

I don't mind hiking in the rain but hesitate to start in the rain when I can wait a bit for it to not be raining. That's my plan for today. My biggest issue is the 10lbs of clay soil that I'll end up carrying on each foot, not the wet. Last April the start of my Grand Canyon trip to Clear Creek was in a very wet snow flurry. It usually seems like it will be worse than it ends up.

I grew up in the PNW smack between Seattle and Tacoma. It's easy to forget how encompassing the dampness can be there after living in the Sonoran desert for so long.
Go find a LonelyCache

azbackpackr

Post by azbackpackr » Dec 22 2016 9:07 am

I have done many backpacking trips in the rain. Those are planned ahead, as Dallin mentioned. I really was referring to day hiking when asking the original question.

chumley
City, State: Tempe, AZ

Post by chumley » Dec 22 2016 9:10 am

rcorfman wrote:the paper
?? :-k

Nighthiker
City, State: Payson

Post by Nighthiker » Dec 22 2016 10:04 am

Don't mind the rain or snow, just part of the hike. Lightning strikes I try to avoid :)
jk

SuperstitionGuy
City, State: Apache Junction, Arizona

Post by SuperstitionGuy » Dec 22 2016 10:42 am

Yes as a Wilderness steward for the USFS and as a member of Superstition Search & Rescue. Spent one December rainy night traversing around Weavers Needle looking for a missing Boy Scout who had found his way out to the First Water Trailhead and spent that evening sitting home watching the tele while we were out hiking and searching for him. The Pinal County Sheriff's office failed to properly notify us that he was home safe and sound. :pout: :x
A man's body may grow old, but inside his spirit can still be as young and restless as ever.
- Garth McCann from the movie Second Hand Lions

Another victim of Pixel Trivia.

Current avatar courtesy of Snakemarks

The_Eagle
City, State: Far NE Phoenix, Az

Post by The_Eagle » Dec 22 2016 12:30 pm

Rain makes for some memorable hikes!

Peoples Canyon :y: :y: and
Reavis Falls :y: :y:

come to mind!! :D
There is a very fine line between "hobby" and "mental illness."
Dave Barry

xthine
City, State: Sedona, AZ

Post by xthine » Dec 22 2016 2:58 pm

Grew up in south east asia so I am used to monsoon type rain, lived in Alabama where it could really pour, we also got good rain in the northeast. What am I doing living in the desert? :-k j/k

I've only been hiking regularly the past year so I cannot say I have really hiked in the rain (yet) because it's been pretty dry most of the year so far.

Will I start a hike while it's raining or knowing it will continue to rain? Yes! Unless it's a 14er or it's a hike prone to flash floods. We're supposed to get rain this weekend and I am planning to still go out and trail run, it will be my first time running in the rain/snow so it might end up being a hike :lol: I bought a hard shell meant for running that I plan to use, was looking into running pants for the rain but I can't seem to find any so I'll just be using my running tights (Goretex) and insulated gloves and maybe a baclava. Was looking for a waterproof hydration vest but I have not found one so I plan to maybe put my key fob and my phone (though it's rated ip67). in a zip lock bag.

I do prefer to ride my bike in the rain, I don't know why..seems more fun and less traffic on the road when it rains out here.

Return to “Weather”