Forest Road 646, Payson Ranger District

Moderator: HAZ - Moderators

Linked Guides none
Linked Areas none
Sredfield
City, State: Ahwatukee, AZ

Forest Road 646, Payson Ranger District

Post by Sredfield » Jul 09 2014 3:57 pm

Does anyone know current conditions of this road? It runs for a mile or so north from the Control Road past the Girl Scout Camp towards the Highline/AZT. Tonto NF got a chunk of change for trail work and we are setting up projects. If this road is navigable it will make working this stretch much easier.
Shawn
The bear went over the mountain to see what he could see.

Grasshopper
City, State: Scottsdale, AZ

Re: Forest Road 646, Payson Ranger District

Post by Grasshopper » Jul 09 2014 5:01 pm

Sredfield wrote:Does anyone know current conditions of this road?
I'm not much help but was just curious where it was located north off the Control Road (FR64), so I went searching for it-->
http://hikearizona.com/map.php?QX=3478 (Hopefully someone in the know will advise you, but I would only guess viewing our HAZ Satellite Overlay..the terrain and the fact it goes uphill 550-600ft before ending..that if not obstructed with a few downed trees and washouts to deal with, that it would be high clearance with 4WD required).
(Outside.. "there is No Place Like It!!")

friendofThundergod
City, State: AZ

Post by friendofThundergod » Jul 09 2014 5:29 pm

Gosh never heard of that road before, but it reminds me of dirt roads in Michigan where I am from we have long ones, rough ones, short ones, etc, drove on lots of old forest roads growing up myself. Not a forest road and not even remotely related to your post, but I hit some heavy traffic on the 10 heading west today, oh well gave me some time to ponder climbing Camelback, as soon as I get more time I am climbing that mountain for sure. Speaking of highways it just annoys me and drives me crazy the way people use the terms high way, expressway and free way so interchangeably, ugh I hate that. There is clearly a correct name for these types of words and it drives me crazy that people refuse to use them! When will people learn the correct naming or at least the way I believe to be correct? I did take FR 419 on Monday when I went to Barnhardt Trail, I found cars could easily travel road in dry times, however, with only a little rain I found my X-terra sliding around a lot, and I have been shooting soft ball size chunks of mud on the freeway since it happened, I hope this helps...sorry just never heard of or been to that road before..

Some of you are saying gosh FOTG is a either a jerk or an idiot, probably both accurate assessments...meanwhile, more astute HAZers are saying to their self..."I see what he did there" "I see very clearly what he did there, well played, well played" ;)

chumley
City, State: Tempe, AZ

Post by chumley » Jul 09 2014 5:35 pm

:sl: : app :

Whereas other HAZers just think you're a :pk: :pk:

Welcome to the club.
Profound observer

friendofThundergod
City, State: AZ

Post by friendofThundergod » Jul 09 2014 5:38 pm

@chumley
Welcome to the club
Safe to assume you the president or at least head chair ;)

chumley
City, State: Tempe, AZ

Post by chumley » Jul 09 2014 5:40 pm

I'm often misunderstood. That's all.
Profound observer

CannondaleKid
City, State: Mesa, AZ

Post by CannondaleKid » Jul 09 2014 6:02 pm

friendofThundergod wrote:Speaking of highways it just annoys me and drives me crazy the way people use the terms high way, expressway and free way so interchangeably, ugh I hate that. There is clearly a correct name for these types of words and it drives me crazy that people refuse to use them! When will people learn the correct naming or at least the way I believe to be correct?
So... when you said I hit some heavy traffic on the 10 heading west today what did you mean? Were you on the US 10? the I-10? the Interstate 10? and was it a highway, expressway or freeway.... :whistle:

C'mon now, which is YOUR correct designation? (How was that for an appropriate use of an apostrophe?)
CannondaleKid

Nighthiker
City, State: Payson

Post by Nighthiker » Jul 09 2014 9:07 pm

When you turn off from the Control Road it was quite muddy this past weekend, I did not travel down further the road.
jk

Return to “Road Conditions”