Type Trail Maintenance

Start Date 2014-12-20

# of days 1

JuanJaimeiii
City, State: Chandler, AZ

Flatiron Blue Arrow Removal Project

Post by JuanJaimeiii » Nov 26 2014 11:03 pm

Flatiron Blue Paint Removal Project
Well if you haven't seen the Blue Arrows Leading up to the Flatiron in person you may certainly have seen photos of them. Last year someone put up Orange ones and we assembled a team to remove them. This year they are back and this time they are Blue. This is a Wilderness area and the arrows are unnecessary.

Last year we used a product called "Citristrip" to assist in the removal. It is a bio degradable non toxic stripper and seemed to work quite well. We found that this product in a spray can, along with a good scrub brush and some shop towels to mop up the mess did the trick. In roughly 3-4 hours last year our group of 10 was able to eliminate all 20 of the Orange Arrows. This year the task should be about the same.

I am hoping to put together a group of volunteers to get the job done.

The plan if weather permits is for Saturday the 20th of December starting at 8am. We will need 7 of stripper as we found one can works for about 3 arrows. I will supply all of the Citristrip.

What to bring? Bring a pair of rubber gloves like you would use to wash dishes by hand. Some old shop towels to mop up the paint and a good scrub brush. Lastly bring a plastic bag to haul out the mess. Again, I will purchase the Citristrip. If you want to chip in on that I ask that you donate to HAZ instead. The Citristrip is 9.00 a bottle and without HAZ I wouldn't be able to post this event. Lastly bring some water to help in washing the debris away once it has been scrubbed.

Let's meet at the Quick Trip on the corner of Idaho and Old West Highway. From the 60 it is straight north on Idaho a few miles at the south-east corner of Idaho and Old West Highway. Meet at 8am sharp. We will leave there by 8:20 and go get this project started. We will park and hike in from Mining Camp Restaurant.

CannondaleKid
City, State: Mesa, AZ

Re: Flatiron Blue Arrow Removal Project

Post by CannondaleKid » Nov 27 2014 6:10 am

I don't know for sure yet, but it looks like Tracey and I will be able to join in the fun too.
CannondaleKid

AZLumberjack
City, State: Apache Junction, AZ.

Post by AZLumberjack » Nov 27 2014 7:14 am

Saturday's are usually my days to work out at Peralta TH, but I'll just make the changes to the schedule and hope to see a bunch of HAZ'ers in Siphon Draw. Still got some supplies left over from last year.
On every trip into the Superstitions, I find another Gold Mine. Today the mine was filled with Memories. I can not wait for the next trip.

rayhuston
City, State: Gilbert, AZ

Post by rayhuston » Nov 27 2014 12:05 pm

Thanks for organizing, JJ. I will see you on the 20th.

azbackpackr
City, State: Flag-summer-Needles-winter

Post by azbackpackr » Nov 27 2014 2:35 pm

When will you be going up to paint the green arrows after removing the blue ones? ;)
There is a point of no return unremarked at the time in most lives. Graham Greene The Comedians
A clean house is a sign of a misspent life.

JuanJaimeiii

Post by JuanJaimeiii » Nov 27 2014 4:05 pm

@azbackpackr
Next year.

RickVincent

Post by RickVincent » Nov 27 2014 4:35 pm

This date may just work. I'm going to plan on it. If I recall from last year, we didn't have enough water for rinsing. This time I will carry up plenty extra...perhaps a gallon jug.
This is my gym. I have to travel down a bumpy road to get there. There are no treadmillls, no machines, and no personal trainers. I walk..I run..I breathe the fresh air. I can go any time I want, as much as I want and there is no membership fee.

neilends
City, State: Scottsdale

Post by neilends » Nov 27 2014 4:40 pm

I will be out of state that weekend. Just wanted to thank you and everyone participating in this for your efforts.
"Facts are stubborn things; and whatever may be our wishes, our inclinations, or the dictates of our passions, they cannot alter the state of facts and evidence." --John Adams

JuanJaimeiii

Post by JuanJaimeiii » Nov 27 2014 5:40 pm

@Rick Vincent
I hope you can make it Rick. Yes more water would be fantastic!

JuanJaimeiii

Post by JuanJaimeiii » Nov 29 2014 8:30 am

Thanks for joining in Franco45. The more the Merrier (and the less work) :y:

Bradshaws
City, State: Phoenix, AZ

Post by Bradshaws » Dec 02 2014 9:31 pm

I'm in... again ;) and I have an almost full can of the paint striper from last year I'll bring along :D

It will be good to see you all again, I can't wait :)
“ you know what I think?... It doesn’t matter what I think”

syoung

Post by syoung » Dec 07 2014 8:47 am

Wish I could join in the festivities but I leave on the 17th. Thanks everyone! :worthy: :worthy: :worthy:

Jim_H
City, State: Phoenix, AZ

Post by Jim_H » Dec 07 2014 9:05 am

syoung wrote:Wish I could join in the festivities but I leave on the 17th. Thanks everyone! :worthy: :worthy: :worthy:
Leave? Headed somewhere? Mexico?
:o

azbackpackr
City, State: Flag-summer-Needles-winter

Post by azbackpackr » Dec 07 2014 9:12 am

I've been perusing the paint stores, trying to decide on a new color.

This is so much fun!
There is a point of no return unremarked at the time in most lives. Graham Greene The Comedians
A clean house is a sign of a misspent life.

JuanJaimeiii

Post by JuanJaimeiii » Dec 07 2014 7:35 pm

@syoung
Where you going and when you coming back?

syoung

Post by syoung » Dec 09 2014 7:55 pm

JuanJaimeiii wrote:@syoung
Where you going and when you coming back?
Jim_H wrote:
syoung wrote:Wish I could join in the festivities but I leave on the 17th. Thanks everyone! :worthy: :worthy: :worthy:
Leave? Headed somewhere? Mexico?
I am leaving on the 17th and heading to Tanzania to tackle Kilimanjaro. If all goes as planned I should be reaching the summit Christmas morning.

JuanJaimeiii

Post by JuanJaimeiii » Dec 09 2014 9:45 pm

Awesome!

CannondaleKid

Post by CannondaleKid » Dec 09 2014 11:46 pm

@syoung Cool, we continue to contemplate hiking at least part of Kilimanjaro when we are in Tanzania on our medical mission in July/August 2015.

But it's more likely we will fly down to Cape Town after the mission and spend a few days hiking Table Mountain instead... the last time I saw Table Mountain was in 1952, and I don't remember a thing.
Showing my age a bit? :whistle:
CannondaleKid

KwaiChang
City, State: Rochester, NY

Post by KwaiChang » Dec 10 2014 10:49 am

Does anyone know WHY these arrows are SO persistent?? Liz - you can not be THAT bored! :sl:
Out of all the things I've lost I miss my mind the most.....

RickVincent

Post by RickVincent » Dec 10 2014 12:54 pm

People with urban mentality do this. They think of the Flatiron hike like its their local park. They think it should have little signs that say, "Walking Trail" with a white line down the center to separate the comers from the goers. Instead of recognizing that this is a wilderness area, free of traffic signals, street lights and concrete, they think they are doing the masses a favor by marking the way so people don't get lost like Hansel and Gretel. I call them ignorant do-good vandals.
This is my gym. I have to travel down a bumpy road to get there. There are no treadmillls, no machines, and no personal trainers. I walk..I run..I breathe the fresh air. I can go any time I want, as much as I want and there is no membership fee.

Return to “Hiking Events”